Bulldog AND NTL???

Old May 19th 05, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveL

Default Bulldog AND NTL???

I've been on NTL for a long time, but I thought I'd give Bulldog a try
with the 4mb speeds etc.

As of this morning I have access to both.

My original plan was to pick one or the other and ultimately cancel
the loser, but I remember back when I had ISDN I would simultaneously
dial up two different free call ISPs, and I would use some software
called "Midpoint" to effectively bind the two seperate connections
together into an effective single 128kb connection. This software
would balance downloads over the two connections etc.

The Midpoint company seem to have disappeared,

But I'm wondering if such a concept is still available out there.

What is the best way to exploit two broadband connections?

MTIA.
Old May 19th 05, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stefan Kaniuk

but you sre still apying for 2 seperate connections,no?

do you actually need 2 coonections.

Old May 19th 05, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveL

On Thu, 19 May 2005 10:57:28 GMT, "Stefan Kaniuk"
wrote:

but you sre still apying for 2 seperate connections,no?

do you actually need 2 coonections.
"SteveL" wrote in message
.. .
I've been on NTL for a long time, but I thought I'd give Bulldog a try
with the 4mb speeds etc.

As of this morning I have access to both.

My original plan was to pick one or the other and ultimately cancel
the loser, but I remember back when I had ISDN I would simultaneously
dial up two different free call ISPs, and I would use some software
called "Midpoint" to effectively bind the two seperate connections
together into an effective single 128kb connection. This software
would balance downloads over the two connections etc.

The Midpoint company seem to have disappeared,

But I'm wondering if such a concept is still available out there.

What is the best way to exploit two broadband connections?

MTIA.

I don't mind paying for both connections if I can get what I'm asking
about.

Old May 19th 05, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveL

On Thu, 19 May 2005 10:39:05 GMT, SteveL
wrote:

I've been on NTL for a long time, but I thought I'd give Bulldog a try
with the 4mb speeds etc.

As of this morning I have access to both.

My original plan was to pick one or the other and ultimately cancel
the loser, but I remember back when I had ISDN I would simultaneously
dial up two different free call ISPs, and I would use some software
called "Midpoint" to effectively bind the two seperate connections
together into an effective single 128kb connection. This software
would balance downloads over the two connections etc.

The Midpoint company seem to have disappeared,

But I'm wondering if such a concept is still available out there.

What is the best way to exploit two broadband connections?

MTIA.

I think I found the answer to my own question

Edimax BR-6524K dual wan router.

Maybe try vicomsoft intergate and/or Download Accelerator Plus as
well.

Old May 19th 05, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

www.firebrick.co.uk is one option. Not cheap though.

Old May 19th 05, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 19 May 2005 11:30 GMT, SteveL wrote:

Edimax BR-6524K dual wan router.

Much depends on what you expect from your connections. I've used two
connections from my LAN, giving particular traffic types to one or the
other connection (one has been fixed IP, the other dynamic) so streams
of audio and e-mail used the fixed IP, while the second ISP (which was
at twice the speed of the first) was in use for browsing and newsgroup
traffic... the news could fill up the connection if not browsing :-)

Just using 'ROUTE' commends at the MS-DOS prompt is enough without any
hardware, for simple routing decisions, given certain servers will use
only a limited range of addresses. With Win XP, for example, you will
be able to use ROUTE ADD IP { MASK MASK } Gateway IP so
for mail/news servers one might choose a suitable IP subnet and mask
to match any eg ROUTE ADD 212.159.2.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 gw
(where the gw address is for the router on your LAN). Win 95 does
not support that, however, but still handles individual servers via
the selected gateway for you. HTH. Peter M.

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.