ADSL Cables

Old May 19th 05, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger

Default ADSL Cables

Hi

How difficult is it to make up my own Cat5e and RJ11 cables. Can I get the
necessary crimping tool etc at a reasonable price or would it be cheaper to
buy custom length cable.

The reason I ask is that I want to make a very short RJ11 cable (6") to
connect my rooter to the BT Master socket and one of the Cat5e plugs on the
network cable is faulty and I'd like to avoid replacing the cable which runs
up through the wall and across the loft etc.

Thanks
Roger

Posted Via Binaries.Net Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
http://www.binaries.net
Old May 19th 05, 02:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

Roger wrote:
Hi

How difficult is it to make up my own Cat5e and RJ11 cables. Can I get the
necessary crimping tool etc at a reasonable price or would it be cheaper to
buy custom length cable.

Try screwfix.

The reason I ask is that I want to make a very short RJ11 cable (6") to
connect my rooter to the BT Master socket and one of the Cat5e plugs on the
network cable is faulty and I'd like to avoid replacing the cable which runs
up through the wall and across the loft etc.

I'd really suggest terminating fixed cables in wall sockets. Flying lead
ends are prone to damage.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old May 19th 05, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Blessing

Roger wrote:

How difficult is it to make up my own Cat5e and RJ11 cables. Can I get the
necessary crimping tool etc at a reasonable price or would it be cheaper to
buy custom length cable.

Try your local branch of Maplin

Technical Development Manager
Entanet International
T: 0870 770 9580
http://www.enta.net/
Old May 19th 05, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 19 May 2005 12:53:57 +0100, "Roger"
wrote:

Hi

How difficult is it to make up my own Cat5e and RJ11 cables.

Very easy.

Can I get the
necessary crimping tool etc at a reasonable price or would it be cheaper to
buy custom length cable.

Maplin sell the jacks, cable and boots individually, either in-store
or over the net. Make sure you get the cable colours right when
putting them into the jacks.

And get the special crimping tool for pressing in the metal tines -
doing it with a thin screwdriver is a b*gger. NB this tool is /not/ a
krone tool, thats for pushing the ends into the backs of ethernet wall
sockets. I think you can get the tool from maplins, or any good
telephone equipment seller - its the same as the one you'd use to put
a phone jack on the end of a cable.

Old May 19th 05, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Mike Scott wrote:
Roger wrote:

Hi

How difficult is it to make up my own Cat5e and RJ11 cables. Can I
get the
necessary crimping tool etc at a reasonable price or would it be
cheaper to
buy custom length cable.

Try screwfix.

Or Maplins.

The reason I ask is that I want to make a very short RJ11 cable (6") to
connect my rooter to the BT Master socket and one of the Cat5e plugs
on the
network cable is faulty and I'd like to avoid replacing the cable
which runs
up through the wall and across the loft etc.

I'd really suggest terminating fixed cables in wall sockets. Flying lead
ends are prone to damage.

Ho yuss.

--
The Caretaker .........

If you want me to read an email, post to the newsgroup saying you've
sent me mail. I rarely check this mailbox.
Old May 19th 05, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

The Caretaker wrote in news:QT3je.8366
:

Try screwfix.

Or Maplins.

Maplins tend to be expensive. Oh yeah and they never have what you
want...but they have about five things you can link together to do the
same thing as the one you wanted at a much higher price :0)

--
Colin
Old May 19th 05, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

cw wrote:
The Caretaker wrote in news:QT3je.8366
:

Try screwfix.

Or Maplins.

Maplins tend to be expensive. Oh yeah and they never have what you
want...but they have about five things you can link together to do the
same thing as the one you wanted at a much higher price :0)

I generally check availability then go to the local shop to get it.

Twice I've bought a number of things, say 10 things, but only been
charged for a couple. Indeed once whilst buying a Soldering Iron, about
60 and other bits, about 120 with a total bill which should have been
180, the actual bill at the till came to about 30. Dunno how, and
somehow it didn't occur to me at the shop or in the car, but only until
I got home and unpacked the bag. IMHO too late, they're mine.