Anyone heard anything about UK Online?

Old May 19th 05, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith \(UK\)

Default Anyone heard anything about UK Online?

I got a snotty email from Tiscali saying they have a "fair usage" policy of
30 gigs up and down per month, and I am exceeding it.

I went looking around, and found UK Online. They only charge 9.99 for a
512kbs service, and specifically mention 500 gigs per month as fair usage.
Since there is no such thing as a cheap uncapped service, I was wondering
where is the catch?

They say they are installing there own equipment in exchanges, and only
cover 18% of the population ATM. Is this the catch? Or are they simply a
small company making a lost leader just to get a decent customer base before
they start to charge average prices?

Bob

Old May 19th 05, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trev

"Bob Smith (UK)" [email protected] wrote in message
I got a snotty email from Tiscali saying they have a "fair usage" policy of
30 gigs up and down per month, and I am exceeding it.

I went looking around, and found UK Online. They only charge 9.99 for a
512kbs service, and specifically mention 500 gigs per month as fair usage.
Since there is no such thing as a cheap uncapped service, I was wondering
where is the catch?

They say they are installing there own equipment in exchanges, and only
cover 18% of the population ATM. Is this the catch? Or are they simply a
small company making a lost leader just to get a decent customer base
before they start to charge average prices?

Bob

There part of a very big company.

Old May 19th 05, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Scott

"Trev" trevbowdenATdsl.pipexDOTnet wrote in message

"Bob Smith (UK)" [email protected] wrote in message
I got a snotty email from Tiscali saying they have a "fair usage" policy

of
30 gigs up and down per month, and I am exceeding it.

I went looking around, and found UK Online. They only charge 9.99 for

512kbs service, and specifically mention 500 gigs per month as fair

usage.
Since there is no such thing as a cheap uncapped service, I was

wondering
where is the catch?

They say they are installing there own equipment in exchanges, and only
cover 18% of the population ATM. Is this the catch? Or are they simply

small company making a lost leader just to get a decent customer base
before they start to charge average prices?

Bob

There part of a very big company.

are uk online not part of Tiscali ?

Old May 19th 05, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Don Turner

"Bob Smith (UK)" [email protected] wrote in message
I got a snotty email from Tiscali saying they have a "fair usage" policy of
30 gigs up and down per month, and I am exceeding it.

I went looking around, and found UK Online. They only charge 9.99 for a
512kbs service, and specifically mention 500 gigs per month as fair usage.
Since there is no such thing as a cheap uncapped service, I was wondering
where is the catch?

They say they are installing there own equipment in exchanges, and only
cover 18% of the population ATM. Is this the catch? Or are they simply a
small company making a lost leader just to get a decent customer base
before they start to charge average prices?

My experience with UKOnline has not been brilliant so far. I was due to be
connected yesterday (18 May) and nothing happened. Phone up today and was
told that the MAC code I gave three weeks ago is invalid.A bit more
investigating found that someone at their Provisioning office had entered
the code wrongly into the system. Now I have to wait another two weeks to be
hooked up.. in the meanwhile they've already helped themselves to my first
month's rental.

The main problem it seems is that they are highly in demand and as a result
their customer services is lagging a mile behind. I was on hold for 15 mins,
before being transferred to another dept for a further 10 min wait. Zen
Internet may be a lot more expensive, but at least they had good C.S.

dt

Old May 20th 05, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

I can reccomend Pipex, which is truly an uncapped service.

My combined downloads and uploads been averaging 100Gb/s a month and not one
complaint from Pipex I'm paying 34 for a 2Mb connection. The cheapest
options are never the best as history shows. If you want a quality service
expect to pay a little more.

I have also been with them for four years now and hardly ever had any
problems.

Dan

Old May 20th 05, 01:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul G

"Andy Scott" wrote in message
are uk online not part of Tiscali ?

No, Easynet

Paul

Old May 20th 05, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yozzi

"Dan" d.d.com wrote in message
I can reccomend Pipex, which is truly an uncapped service.

My combined downloads and uploads been averaging 100Gb/s a month and not
one complaint from Pipex I'm paying 34 for a 2Mb connection. The cheapest
options are never the best as history shows. If you want a quality service
expect to pay a little more.

I have also been with them for four years now and hardly ever had any
problems.

Dan

34 a month for 2meg is a huge amount!

BUT as you say, uncapped (just about, no?) - i would be wary of paying that
much, sounds likea ripoff, there's other competative offers at under 25 a
month for a measly 2meg connection that offer a similiar deal

Old May 20th 05, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mr_flibble

Bob Smith \(UK\) Wrote:
I got a snotty email from Tiscali saying they have a "fair usage" polic
of
30 gigs up and down per month, and I am exceeding it.

I went looking around, and found UK Online. They only charge 9.99 fo
512kbs service, and specifically mention 500 gigs per month as fai
usage.
Since there is no such thing as a cheap uncapped service, I wa
wondering
where is the catch?

They say they are installing there own equipment in exchanges, an
only
cover 18% of the population ATM. Is this the catch? Or are the
simply a
small company making a lost leader just to get a decent customer bas
before
they start to charge average prices?

Bob

I migrated to ukonline from btyahoo and I am more than happy with th
service they provide. It is fast and reliable, you will notice a hug
difference especailly if you go to a LLU product. If you are on a
unbundled exchange then go for it!

Their customer service can be a bit hit and miss, so a little patienc
will be needed if there were to be a hiccup.

Tiscali are buggers to migrate from so I hear.

Good luck

--
mr_flibble
Old May 21st 05, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Bob Smith (UK)" [email protected] wrote in message
I went looking around, and found UK Online. They only charge 9.99 for a
512kbs service, and specifically mention 500 gigs per month as fair usage.
Since there is no such thing as a cheap uncapped service, I was wondering
where is the catch?

UKOnline's 512K, 1MB and 2MB services are uncapped.

Their 8MB service is capped at 500GB/month

They say they are installing there own equipment in exchanges, and only
cover 18% of the population ATM. Is this the catch? Or are they simply a
small company making a lost leader just to get a decent customer base
before they start to charge average prices?

The 2MB and slower speeds are available nationwide.

However, the price/month is lower on exchanges which they have LLU'ed
(fitted their own equipment)

For instance:

Speed on LLU exchanges on other exchanges

512K 9.99 19.99
2MB 19.99 29.99

Their 8MB service is only available on their LLU exchanges.

Regards
Sunil

Old May 22nd 05, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith \(UK\)

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

[...]

As far as I can make out, their services are not capped, just subject to a
"fair usage" figure of 500gigs per month. This is only breachable with a
connection faster than 1MB though.

Luckily, my exchange has been converted. Since they have their own
equipment, will it be easier to move to UK Online than anyone else? I ask
because I am on Tiscali at the moment, and I hear they are on a different
system, and tend to hold on to MAC codes.

Also interested to hear from anyone who uses P2P on UK Online. Are the P2P
ports blocked / throttled? I think Tiscali started this about a month ago.

Bob