Plusnet Query

Old May 19th 05, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

Default Plusnet Query

Evening

I somehow seem to have contrived to forget (already)the password I set
for my sisters new Plusnet account (in the process of being transferred
from another ISP)

I have absolutely no idea how to seek assistance from PN as all avenues
seem to point me down the route of logging in.

Any suggestions from the helpful lurking PN support guys would be welcome.

Cheers

Alan (obviously do not wish to be to specific in a public newsgroup)

Old May 20th 05, 02:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Alan wrote:
Evening

I somehow seem to have contrived to forget (already)the password I set
for my sisters new Plusnet account (in the process of being transferred
from another ISP)

I have absolutely no idea how to seek assistance from PN as all avenues
seem to point me down the route of logging in.

Any suggestions from the helpful lurking PN support guys would be welcome.

Cheers

Alan (obviously do not wish to be to specific in a public newsgroup)

Hi there,

You'll need to give us a call on the number quoted by the other poster.
Try to have the payment details for the account handy.

Kind Regards,

Old May 20th 05, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

On Fri, 20 May 2005 01:03:45 +0100, PlusNet Support Team
wrote:

You'll need to give us a call on the number quoted by the other poster.
Try to have the payment details for the account handy.

I've always been puzzled as to why Plusnet don't have a password
recovery feature on the portal, based on the usual "answer the
security questions" model.
--
Andy Norman
http://www.norman.cx/
Old May 20th 05, 09:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

On Fri, 20 May 2005 08:00:37 +0100, Andrew Norman
wrote:

I've always been puzzled as to why Plusnet don't have a password
recovery feature on the portal, based on the usual "answer the
security questions" model.

I should have said "password reset" rather than recovery.
Old May 20th 05, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

wrote:

I've always been puzzled as to why Plusnet don't have a password
recovery feature on the portal, based on the usual "answer the
security questions" model.

I should have said "password reset" rather than recovery.

probably because far too many people choose idiotic security questions
(encouraged by idiotic banking practices which suggest things like
spouses birthday, mothers maiden name, etc), and with a web-based
form, a thief could have several tries if they got it wrong the first
time.

Old May 21st 05, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

wrote:

I should have said "password reset" rather than recovery.

probably because far too many people choose idiotic security questions
(encouraged by idiotic banking practices which suggest things like
spouses birthday, mothers maiden name, etc), and with a web-based
form, a thief could have several tries if they got it wrong the first
time.

True, but it is perfectly possible to rate limit the web based form so
that you don't get many useful tries at it.

Also, for most accounts Plusnet have a credit card or bank
account/sort code. So they could easily do the "provide the 2nd, 3rd
and 9th digit" approach that banks use on passwords.