Broadband+ Student House?

Old May 20th 05, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Pape

Default Broadband+ Student House?

Hi all,

I've been pointed in your knowledgeable direction to ask a couple of posers!
There are 7 of us moving into a house for the next student year, and we all
want to use broadband on our own individual computers, through the same
broadband account, and we are not sure how to go about it. Do we need a
wireless router and then a wireless card in each of our computers, or is
there a better way of doing it? Presuming this is possible, which would be
the best provider for us to use from Sept-Dec and then mid Jan-June, without
any sort of d/loading cap as it would disappear pretty quickly with 7 of us
using it. Also, would the speed of the connection dramatically drop with it
being thrown through all 7 systems?

Sorry for the relatively long post, but any help you guys can throw in my
direction would be very much appreciated!

TIA

Chris

Beware the obious SPAMTRAP in the reply-to line!

Old May 21st 05, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

Assuming thats 7 laptops suggest wireless router and wireless cards
ie
http://www.linksyssales.co.uk/linksy...?idProduct=176

You'd need 6 more cards.
$ port ref is referring to laptops/pc's connecting via lan cable.

www.plus.net have taken their cap off; look at website.

Old May 21st 05, 12:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 20 May 2005 22:14:54 +0100, "Chris Pape"
wrote:

I've been pointed in your knowledgeable direction to ask a couple of posers!

calling us posers isn't a good start :-)

yes sharing a connection will result in slowdowns so some degree of
discipline is called for. Kit is available that can mange loads but
t'would be a bit expensive I suspect. Packages like netlimiter can
restric machines on a voluntary basis.

Try to get a fast line eg 2M ADSL or 2M if LLU in the area (Bulldog,
UKOnline) or cable (NTL / BlueyondeR).

Wireless router with 2 or 3 maybe wired as well. At least one wired or
capable of wired for config.

I would stick with the account Sept-June solid, no point paying for
reconnection for the sake of a months rental if its the same house
(chances are there'll be someone there some of the time).

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
Old May 21st 05, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Gel wrote:
Assuming thats 7 laptops suggest wireless router and wireless cards
ie
http://www.linksyssales.co.uk/linksy...?idProduct=176

You'd need 6 more cards.
$ port ref is referring to laptops/pc's connecting via lan cable.

www.plus.net have taken their cap off; look at website.

No, they haven't.
They have introduced a new, unclearer capping scheme, that's for many users
significantly stricter than what they originally planned.

Old May 21st 05, 01:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul G

"Chris Pape" wrote in message
[...]

Your best bets would be www.ukonline.net or www.bulldogdsl.com providing
your in there LLU network area. Ukonline is 8MB unlimited at 29.99 per
month and Bulldog is 4MB unlimited for 29.50 per month

Paul

Old May 21st 05, 01:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Gel wrote:
Assuming thats 7 laptops suggest wireless router and wireless cards
ie
http://www.linksyssales.co.uk/linksy...?idProduct=176

You'd need 6 more cards.
$ port ref is referring to laptops/pc's connecting via lan cable.

www.plus.net have taken their cap off; look at website.

You'll need a bloody fast link as well with 7 of you on it, particularly
if you all want to use it at the same time..! Don't even look at anything
less than 1Mb and even that will be slow if fully laden..!

Ivor

Old May 21st 05, 01:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Fri, 20 May 2005 22:36:14 UTC, Phil Thompson
wrote:

yes sharing a connection will result in slowdowns so some degree of
discipline is called for. Kit is available that can mange loads but
t'would be a bit expensive I suspect.

Cheap old box with BSD or (at a pinch) Linux would be fine. This would
also function as a firewall.

--
[Kenism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
Usually accompanied by silly noises and gestures, and frequent use

Old May 21st 05, 01:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Pape

"Gel" wrote in message
oups.com...
Assuming thats 7 laptops suggest wireless router and wireless cards
ie
http://www.linksyssales.co.uk/linksy...?idProduct=176

You'd need 6 more cards.
$ port ref is referring to laptops/pc's connecting via lan cable.

www.plus.net have taken their cap off; look at website.

Unfortunately, its 6 desktops and one laptop, but i presume we can just get
desktop wireless cards instead of the laptop versions?

Old May 21st 05, 01:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Pape

wrote:

[...]

Like the posers joke! *Slips on black sunnies and struts around!*

Anyway, thanks for the advice, do you know of a website anywhere that might
give a step-by-step guide to this sort of thing? I have had a poke around,
but to no avail as of yet.

Chris

Old May 21st 05, 01:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 21 May 2005 00:27:37 +0100, "Chris Pape"
wrote:

Unfortunately, its 6 desktops and one laptop, but i presume we can just get
desktop wireless cards instead of the laptop versions?

USB wireless NICs fit both, and allow you to posiiton the receiving
end.

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.