Vonage Telephone service

Old May 21st 05, 02:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hanson

Default Vonage Telephone service

What do people know about this telphone service apart from the Router is 25 from Staples?
Old May 21st 05, 02:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Paul Hanson wrote:
What do people know about this telphone service apart from the
Router is 25 from Staples?

It costs money per month. Whereas Sipgate (www.sipgate.co.uk) is free. Ok
so you pay for calls to the PSTN but there isn't a monthly rental.

Also, you might like to take a look at uk.telecom.voip where you're likely
to get more info.

Ivor

Old May 21st 05, 08:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan Penn

On 20 May 2005 20:02:20 -0500, "Paul Hanson"
wrote:

What do people know about this telphone service apart from the Router is 25 from Staples?

Try SKYPE. Free to other users. Cheap calls to PSTN. No monthly
rental.

Alpen
Old May 21st 05, 09:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

Ivor Jones wrote:
Also, you might like to take a look at uk.telecom.voip where you're likely
to get more info.

Which ntl don't provide. Funny that :-)

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old May 21st 05, 09:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

Ivor Jones wrote:

It costs money per month. Whereas Sipgate (www.sipgate.co.uk) is free. Ok

Hmm. Don't you just love sites that demand you enable cookies before
they let you in. I guess they just lost a potential customer.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old May 21st 05, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 21 May 2005 08:47:03 +0100, Alan Penn
wrote:

Free to other users.

free to other SKYPE users, useless to call SIP users on other
services.

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
Old May 21st 05, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Mike Scott wrote:
Ivor Jones wrote:
Also, you might like to take a look at uk.telecom.voip where
you're likely to get more info.

Which ntl don't provide. Funny that :-)

Have you asked them to..? Some news admins don't carry new groups until
they're asked.

Ivor

Old May 21st 05, 10:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Mike Scott wrote:
Ivor Jones wrote:

It costs money per month. Whereas Sipgate (www.sipgate.co.uk) is
free. Ok

Hmm. Don't you just love sites that demand you enable cookies
before they let you in. I guess they just lost a potential
customer.

You don't look at many websites do you g

Why not do what I do, delete them all after you've finished..?

Ivor

Old May 21st 05, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

wrote:

What do people know about this telphone service apart from the
Router is 25 from Staples?

Try SKYPE. Free to other users. Cheap calls to PSTN. No monthly
rental.

[1] Requires a PC to be on all the time. Not acceptable to many users.

[2] Uses a proprietary protocol that isn't compatible with anything else.

[3] There *is* a monthly charge for an incoming PSTN number (Skype In).

Ivor

Old May 21st 05, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

Ivor Jones wrote:
Mike Scott wrote:

Ivor Jones wrote:

Also, you might like to take a look at uk.telecom.voip where
you're likely to get more info.

Which ntl don't provide. Funny that :-)

Have you asked them to..? Some news admins don't carry new groups until
they're asked.

No, but I seem to recall others have. The last group I asked for was
the new windows group - but they seem to have just ignored the request.
Par for the course (ignoring the customer, that is).

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)