PlusNet MTU Settings

Old May 21st 05, 03:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

Default PlusNet MTU Settings

Anyone got any thoughts on what MTU Setting works best?

I have a net gear router that allows you to set MTU setting current on 1458
Old May 21st 05, 04:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete M Williams

"Dee" wrote in message
Anyone got any thoughts on what MTU Setting works best?

I have a net gear router that allows you to set MTU setting current on
1458

MTU settings are not ISP specific for any ISP that uses the BT network.
The setting is mainly governed by how BT set the network up, what speed BB
you are on and what you have your RWIN set to.
Different people have different results with the same MTU setting.

Some of these a
512K
MTU 1478 / RWIN 17256
MTU 1458 / RWIN 17016
MTU 1430 / RWIN 16680

1Meg
MTU 1478 / RWIN 31636,
MTU 1458 / RWIN 31196
MTU 1430 / RWIN 30580

2Meg
MTU 1478 / RWIN 63272
MTU 1458 / RWIN 62392
MTU 1430 / RWIN 61160

A good place to start is he
http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

Although these pages are about PPPoE they still have good info on finding
what is best for your set up;
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5793
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/695

Old May 21st 05, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 21 May 2005 02:07:18 +0100, Dee
wrote:

I have a net gear router that allows you to set MTU setting current on 1458

in which case either set the PC up to the same value (using DrTCP) or
set the MTU to 1500, or set both to another number.

1430 MTU / 13900 RWIN is a voodoo combination favoured by certain
speedtests and ISPs.

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
Old May 21st 05, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Black Shuck

Phil Thompson got up from the bar and shouted: :
wrote:

I have a net gear router that allows you to set MTU setting current on 1458

in which case either set the PC up to the same value (using DrTCP) or
set the MTU to 1500, or set both to another number.

1430 MTU / 13900 RWIN is a voodoo combination favoured by certain
speedtests and ISPs.

Phil

I get sorta confused by all this.

I have a wireless router connecting to my ADSL line, all my PC's are
wireless. Both my Router and PC's can have their RWIN and MTU set.

Should I be changing both the PC and router, or one or the other,..
Old May 21st 05, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 21 May 2005 18:19:59 +0100, Black Shuck
wrote:

Should I be changing both the PC and router, or one or the other,..

all the MTUs should be the same. If you don't mess with the PCs they
default to 1500 and the router should be set to that if it has an
adjustable MTU.

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.