ADSL Connection

Old May 21st 05, 06:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

Default ADSL Connection

My router displays values for the ADSL connection for SNR Margin and Loop Att.
Of these two values what should be my expectations to see there? Is low
values are high values good or bad? Is the an ideal value. Would like to know
what they are and if they provide any earth shattering information.

David Bradley
Old May 21st 05, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 21 May 2005 06:07:05 +0100, David Bradley
wrote:

My router displays values for the ADSL connection for SNR Margin and Loop Att.
Of these two values what should be my expectations to see there?

expect to see a pair of numbers expressed in dB with values 0-40 and
0-75 respectively. Posting them is conventional.

Is low
values are high values good or bad? Is the an ideal value.

high SNR margin is good, 6 is probably a minimum for reliability, over
20 is bombproof. It goes down if the speed is increased.

low attenuation is good, 10 dB per km of line length approx.
BT limits are 43 dB for 2M and 60 dB for 1M service.

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
Old May 21st 05, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

Phil Thompson wrote in
:

high SNR margin is good, 6 is probably a minimum for reliability, over
20 is bombproof. It goes down if the speed is increased.

We got 31db when on 512 and we get exactly the same stats on 2Mbit :0)
If only it were bomb-proof. We've still been offline for hours whilst the
exchange refuses to let us synch.

--
Colin
Old May 21st 05, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 21 May 2005 11:08:47 GMT, cw wrote:

We got 31db when on 512 and we get exactly the same stats on 2Mbit

you maybe got more than 31 before and now, some software only reports
up to 31.5 (0 to 31.5 in steps of 0.5 is 64 values - a binary word ??)

it is also possible it stayed the same, but les likely.

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.