Not sure

Old May 22nd 05, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Default Not sure

David Bradley wrote:

On Sat, 21 May 2005 22:21:11 +0100, "Tiscali Tim"

Phil Thompson wrote:

On Sat, 21 May 2005 15:54:16 +0100, "Tiscali Tim"
wrote:

If you *do* sign up with them, you could earn me a few
pence by quoting my referral code of 'mills37'.

Big Issue ? Big Issue ?

Pardon?

Come on Tim, think about it. I understand perfectly hi comment.

David Bradley

Well then, you'd better explain. I can see no connection whatsoever between
recommending an ISP and selling magazines on street corners.

If you are up front about making recommendations - and your analysis makes
sense and is not obviously biased - I can see no reason for why it might be
improper to invite someone to use your referral code. I have already gained
a couple of referrals in this way - as have others.

So if you have something to say, let's hear it without all this cryptic
rubbish.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old May 22nd 05, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 22 May 2005 16:57:07 +0100, "Tiscali Tim"
wrote:

If you *do* sign up with them, you could earn me a few
pence by quoting my referral code of 'mills37'.

got any change to spare mate ?

You don't by any chance sit in tube stations handing out ISP
recommendations do you ?

Its just an observation on how these referral requests sound to at
least one "passer by".

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
Old May 22nd 05, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Phil Thompson wrote:

You don't by any chance sit in tube stations handing out ISP
recommendations do you ?

No! The comparison is odious.

When someone makes it clear that they are *looking* for an ISP, and when I
think that PlusNet may fit the bill, I provide some - hopefully unbiased,
warts and all - information *and* at the same time quote my referral code -
on the basis that if someone is going to follow the recommendation I might
as well get a few bob off my subscription. I *never* post unsolicited
messages touting for referrals - or even use a coded link in my signature,
like some people do.

If you can provide evidence that this is not permitted by the charter of
this NG, I would like to see it.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old May 22nd 05, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 22 May 2005 19:55:55 +0100, "Tiscali Tim"
wrote:

If you can provide evidence that this is not permitted by the charter of
this NG, I would like to see it.

I'm not even going to look, its not a big deal. I suspect it says no
advertising or solicitation but have no inclination to get into a
semantics debate. It would probably be most compliant in a sig.

"Here's my unbiased opinion of a service, and by the way I get some
money if you use it" just doesn't appeal to something in my psyche.

No! The comparison is odious.

at least you see how I see the referrals game.

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
Old May 22nd 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Phil Thompson wrote:

"Here's my unbiased opinion of a service, and by the way I get some
money if you use it" just doesn't appeal to something in my psyche.

Fair enough. I respect your view - but that doesn't stop me from holding
mine.

Firms in many different industries - not just ISPs - offer *small* rewards
to satisfied customers who recommend them to others and bring in new
business, and this is perfectly legitimate in my view.

When a new customer signs with PlusNet, the referral reward is there for the
asking - and just goes to waste if no referral code is quoted. Hence, I say
"If you're going to sign, you might as well use my code . .". It doesn't
cost them anything.

Its no big deal for me either! I'm currently earning a princely total of 1
per month off my subscription - so I'm not going to get very fat on the
proceeds!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old May 24th 05, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 21 May 2005 10:22, Phil Thompson wrote:

On 21 May 2005 09:37, "nobody760" wrote:

I think what I should be asking what is the cheapest non-capped
Broadband provider?

UK Online 512 for a tenner if its in your area.

Yes, the UK Online one seems worth checking, depending on location.
They have a list of exchanges on their site, which helps, as well as
the number check facility.

Plusnet have some around 15 deals.

Ignoring the PAYG at 14.99, the Broadband Plus account is also 14.99 but
might put the brakes on the son downloading a lot of music (who knows, it
may work out as an advantage, not to be tracked or fined for any copyright
materials that could end up on a PC used by one's son)... Peter M.

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old May 24th 05, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 22 May 2005 19:55, "Tiscali Tim" wrote:

or even use a coded link in my signature, like some people do.

You might consider placing the text in your own signature, where it perhaps
belongs, rather than make some comparison, and suggest some superiority for
not using that method. If someone clicks the link, then yes, I might get a
small benefit, but they can equally type the URL if they prefer. I have no
expectation of someone clicking a link - some news readers do not even show
a signature, and other readers may 'dim' any signature text so it is rarely
complained about, to be honest. Peter Morgan.

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Can accept mail for your domain and apply filtering...
Point your MX record to mx.runbox.com and use POP/IMAP...
Old May 24th 05, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 22 May 2005 09:11, David Bradley wrote:

I have a fairly longish list of ISPs that I would not recommend for a
Broadband service but if I list them here, users of those suppliers would
swamp this thread comming to their defence.

In that case, since you've indicated a number of ISPs and did mention it
more than once, why not start a new thread - "Which ISPs to avoid..."

Explain any reasons behind an ISP being on the list, suggest anyone who is
planning to respond do some judicious trimming to isolate the ISP they use
[so while there may be a dozen sub-threads it would all be under one topic
and could be ignored by regulars, if they don't think they want debate :-]

It would be interesting to see, and get some views on the different ISPs,
rather than be left a mystery, to be mentioned in the same way time after
time, without anyone being any the wiser about those you would avoid, and
as importantly, why you'd bring them to attention. I might well add some
to such a thread, or even start such a thread myself, perhaps, but have a
limit on personal experience of ADSL services! Peter M.

Old May 25th 05, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Tue, 24 May 2005 23:23:04 +0100, Peter M wrote:

[...]

Fair comment, but I would only comment about personal experiences. To me there
are the good, bad and really ugly ISPs to come across. I am no match for the
ADSL Guide or "Which" and can only state IMHO based on what I feel would be
the least call on my time for support to products or services I suggest.

What is the biggest mystery is why this newsgroup is dominated so much by just
a handfull of ISPs; this implies that they are the least favourite suppliers
and yet punters are continually lured towards their offerings. I have no
answer to that one!

Still I will try and kick off something along the lines you suggest but it
might be a week or so before the posting appears.

David Bradley

Old May 25th 05, 12:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 25 May 2005 00:06, David Bradley wrote:

What is the biggest mystery is why this newsgroup is dominated so much by just
a handfull of ISPs; this implies that they are the least favourite suppliers
and yet punters are continually lured towards their offerings.

Or simply that these are posters who happen to be familiar with using news,
rather than devoting their time exclusively to web-based discussions, IRC,
or similar (it has been ages since I have seen posts from some people that
I know, whether they be in the UK or US, yet I am in touch by other means.

Some seem to have stopped posting altogether, or our paths simply don't
cross these days, at least in specific newsgroups we once frequented (it
has been a long time since I've regularly checked rec.radio.shortwave for
example, because these days listening to stations via the internet is just
so much easier, causing my Sony, Sangean and Roberts get regular use mostly
on FM, unless I am travelling, of course.

Getting mentioned hardly makes them 'least favourite' suppliers in my eyes.

There seem to be a fair number of mentions over time for Metronet, Eclipse,
Pipex, Zen, Freeserve/Wanadoo, Freedom 2 Surf, AAISP, Demon, NTL/Blueyonder
cable, Plus.Net, Nildram, Central Point, Bulldog, AOL and others if they're
new or have a deal (such as UK Online), or when someone asks about one such
as Griffin. There are few (if any) mentions of some of the other 100 which
Phil alluded to in another thread, and given the difficulty in testing on a
residential line, since most have had 12 month contracts and there are less
than 100 months since "wires only" services came into force so "experience"
has been somewhat limited... Newsgroups really are in some ways a 'secret'
as the magazines are likely to mention podcasting, what the latest version
of Flash can do, and about peer-to-peer or legal issues, but not 'basics',
including using newsgroups, as was the case some years ago. Peter M.