Not sure

Old May 21st 05, 10:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nobody760

Default Not sure

Thinking of going over to Broadband. I am presently with Wanadoo
dial-up.

I am not to sure what the true significance of the 'capping' is. I
have retired now and am on line a lot also my son downloads music.
What happens if you do go over the say 3GB do you get cut offf until
next month or do you get a nasty bill?

I think what I should be asking what is the cheapest non-capped
Broadband provider?

PS - the area here has NTL.

Thanks in advance.

Old May 21st 05, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 21 May 2005 09:37:39 +0100, "nobody760"
wrote:

What happens if you do go over the say 3GB do you get cut offf until
next month or do you get a nasty bill?

a "nasty" bill ?? as in "pay this you ******* or I'll kick your head
in". I doubt it somehow.

Pays to read what's published
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/bb_option1.htm

"You may use your Broadband connection freely up to these usage
allowances. If you exceed your monthly allowance we may contact you
and take action. "

if you do it a lot they'll ask you to go to the next service up 6 GB
for 23 or 28 for 30 GB.

I think what I should be asking what is the cheapest non-capped
Broadband provider?

UK Online 512 for a tenner if its in your area. Plusnet have some
around 15 deals.

PS - the area here has NTL.

so that's an alternative to consider. Their 25/mo service has a 30
GB/month cap.

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
Old May 21st 05, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

nobody760 wrote:
PS - the area here has NTL.

NTL's customer service has a well-deserved reputation. I've never been
told by any one else's customer service rep that although I have to pay
for their service, they're under no obligation at all to keep it
working. When it works it works well, when it fails...... well...... I
hope you like music-on-hold. My record was around 90 minutes solid,
admittedly a while ago.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old May 21st 05, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

nobody760 wrote:

Thinking of going over to Broadband. I am presently with Wanadoo
dial-up.

I am not to sure what the true significance of the 'capping' is. I
have retired now and am on line a lot also my son downloads music.
What happens if you do go over the say 3GB do you get cut offf until
next month or do you get a nasty bill?

I think what I should be asking what is the cheapest non-capped
Broadband provider?

PS - the area here has NTL.

Thanks in advance.

Have a look at PlusNet's offerings at http://tinyurl.com/ddysh

On their PAYG Broadband accounts, they now a facility which allows you to
define a spending limit - so you don't get nasty surprises when the bill
arrives. These accounts start at 14.99 per month for up to 2 Mb/s speed and
an included download bandwidth of 1GB. The (effectively) uncapped Premium
account is 21.99 per month.

There's also Broadband Plus at 14.99 per month, which is uncapped - and is
fine for many types of users.

I've been with PN for just over a year, and am reasonably happy despite some
people's gripes. If you *do* sign up with them, you could earn me a few
pence by quoting my referral code of 'mills37'.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old May 21st 05, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 21 May 2005 15:54:16 +0100, "Tiscali Tim"
wrote:

If you *do* sign up with them, you could earn me a few
pence by quoting my referral code of 'mills37'.

Big Issue ? Big Issue ?
Old May 21st 05, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

wrote:

If you *do* sign up with them, you could earn me a few
pence by quoting my referral code of 'mills37'.

Big Issue ? Big Issue ?

Pardon?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old May 22nd 05, 01:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

On 2005-05-21 11:26:06 +0100, Mike Scott
said:

nobody760 wrote:
PS - the area here has NTL.

NTL's customer service has a well-deserved reputation. I've never been
told by any one else's customer service rep that although I have to pay
for their service, they're under no obligation at all to keep it
working. When it works it works well, when it fails...... well...... I
hope you like music-on-hold. My record was around 90 minutes solid,
admittedly a while ago.

I have NTL Cable for home Metronet ADSL for work (statics!) and the NTL
has given far less trouble - ie no troulbe at all. Neither has Metronet
really, just theres windows machines on the Metronet one and they cut
me off once cos I was blasting the internet cos of some Trojan or sth!

Use Mac at home....

Ste

Old May 22nd 05, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

wrote:

If you *do* sign up with them, you could earn me a few
pence by quoting my referral code of 'mills37'.

Big Issue ? Big Issue ?

Pardon?

Come on Tim, think about it. I understand perfectly hi comment.

David Bradley

Old May 22nd 05, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

wrote:

Thinking of going over to Broadband. I am presently with Wanadoo
dial-up.

I am not to sure what the true significance of the 'capping' is. I
have retired now and am on line a lot also my son downloads music.
What happens if you do go over the say 3GB do you get cut offf until
next month or do you get a nasty bill?

I think what I should be asking what is the cheapest non-capped
Broadband provider?

PS - the area here has NTL.

Thanks in advance.

I have provided help and advice to over a couple of dozen people to switch
from dial-up to Broadband and it always seems to me that the wrong perspective
is taken with this switch. Firstly there is unnecessary concern over
retaining their existing email address if an ISP is chosen other than the
current provider; there is no need to have these anxities unless you are with
AOL and secondly a belief that you can get connected for 'next to nothing'. A
small amount of research that follows and the seed is planted of where to get
the best for the least. Sadly there is no free lunch to be had.

If you lurk in this newsgroup long enough then the concenus of opinion is that
a cap of a 1Gb is unlikely to suit many punters and yet the industry as a
whole says that the average download is 3Gb; this implies that for the vast
number of users a cap of 50Gb is more than adequate and your choice of top
rated Broadband suppliers are many that will provided such a service in the
sub 25 per month bracket. From these IMHO it is best to choose one where you
can purchase extra Gbs on an adhoc basis for periods of exceptional activity
rather than any schemes that automatically switch you to a walking pace until
your next billing period.

Next is the cost of connection and the hardware required. Having a "free"
ADSL modem supplied is a bad idea, a router is a must but sadly they don't
come cheap. Which one you choose is your call, but you could spend around 150
on that item alone, especially if you want wireless connectivity for a laptop,
but you can get a reasonable router for around 75. The cost of connection
for a Broadband connection is 50 + VAT but for a higher monthly subscription
and or a yearly contract you probably won't have to pay for that up front.

Turning to, NTL there are some downside issue to consider. The last time I
looked the upspead was just 128kbps against a norm of 256kbps, this may matter
to you particularly if you are running a web site. That said it might be the
cheapest all round service if you have TV, Phone and Broadband from them.
Getting connected means that some pieces of equipment is not re-usable if you
switch [at a later date] to a 'phone' broadband supplier. It would be wise to
add a router to the set up even if you were using just one PC.

I have a fairly longish list of ISPs that I would not recommend for a
Broadband service but if I list them here, users of those suppliers would
swamp this thread comming to their defence. However you only need to lurk here
for a week or so to conclude what are the better Broadband suppliers with high
custoner satisfaction.

Hope this helps.

David Bradley

Old May 22nd 05, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stefan Kaniuk

wrote:

[...]

well done, a well reasoned and thought out response which sme people may
find helpful.