PlusNet - pre-Migration Questions?

Old May 21st 05, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default PlusNet - pre-Migration Questions?

I'm considering migrating from DEMON to PlusNet and have the following
questions:-
1 does this ISP support access via a Belkin ADSL wireless modem router
and PPPoA connection?
2 does Broadband Premier include unlimited downloads?
3 what downstream connection speeds can I expect?

TIA
- -
: F L I G H T Y :

Old May 21st 05, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob C

I'm considering migrating from DEMON to PlusNet and have the following
questions:-
1 does this ISP support access via a Belkin ADSL wireless modem router
and PPPoA connection?

Yes

2 does Broadband Premier include unlimited downloads?

No, although PlusNet does not publish what it regards as inappropriate
download levels.

3 what downstream connection speeds can I expect?

Depends on your connection speed and how busy your local exchange is.
Generally good, and often towards the upper end of the adslguide stats.

Old May 21st 05, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Bob C wrote:

2 does Broadband Premier include unlimited downloads?

No, although PlusNet does not publish what it regards as inappropriate
download levels.

With Premier you can use the connection as much as you want when you
want, however we will contact customers who are consistantly using the
connection very heavily at busy times to discuss their usage patterns.

Regards,

--
+ ----- PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old May 21st 05, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDysk

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message
Bob C wrote:

With Premier you can use the connection as much as you want when you want,
however we will contact customers who are consistantly using the
connection very heavily at busy times to discuss their usage patterns.

What are considered as busy times? I've just signed up for a premier account
yesterday and intend to use scheduling and bandwidth throtteling during busy
times. It will be helpfull to know when there are and also what you consider
heavy usage.

TheDysk

Old May 21st 05, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

Bob C wrote:

With Premier you can use the connection as much as you want when you
want, however we will contact customers who are consistantly using
the connection very heavily at busy times to discuss their usage
patterns.

What are considered as busy times? I've just signed up for a premier
account yesterday and intend to use scheduling and bandwidth
throtteling during busy times. It will be helpfull to know when there
are and also what you consider heavy usage.

From memory of the now defunct FUP, busy times would be between 0700 and
0100 (usage that didn't count was from 0100 to 0700). Plusnet have
indicated that consistent use around or in excess of that implied by a 5:1
contention would be considered excessive usage.

HTH

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old May 21st 05, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob C

2 does Broadband Premier include unlimited downloads?

No, although PlusNet does not publish what it regards as inappropriate
download levels.

With Premier you can use the connection as much as you want when you want,
however we will contact customers who are consistantly using the
connection very heavily at busy times to discuss their usage patterns.

1. Define 'consistently' in terms of data throughput (rather than
meaningless ratios);

2. Define your understanding of 'consistently';

3. Define 'busy times' now that you have withdrawn data capping;

4. Define what you mean by 'discuss their usage patterns'.

Old May 21st 05, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Bob C wrote:
1. Define 'consistently' in terms of data throughput (rather than
meaningless ratios);

Consistently would be if someone was maxing their connection out almost 24/7

2. Define your understanding of 'consistently';

Consistently means not just a one off, if someone is repeatedly using
the connection very heavily this would be considered consistent.

3. Define 'busy times' now that you have withdrawn data capping;

Busy times are quite literally when our network is most busy. At the
present time this is roughly between 1600-0000, you can see our current
network utilisation at
http://www.plus.net/support/adsl/adsl_utilisation.shtml

4. Define what you mean by 'discuss their usage patterns'.

Exactly what I said. We will contact the customers who are using the
connection heavily at busy times in a consistent manner and discuss what
can be done to provide the best service for them without impacting the
service provided to our other users.

Regards,

Old May 21st 05, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob C

1. Define 'consistently' in terms of data throughput (rather than
meaningless ratios);

Consistently would be if someone was maxing their connection out almost
24/7

Almost. What is the cutoff point? And over what period of time?

2. Define your understanding of 'consistently';

Consistently means not just a one off, if someone is repeatedly using the
connection very heavily this would be considered consistent.

How repeatedly? What is the trigger point for action?

3. Define 'busy times' now that you have withdrawn data capping;

Busy times are quite literally when our network is most busy. At the
present time this is roughly between 1600-0000, you can see our current
network utilisation at
http://www.plus.net/support/adsl/adsl_utilisation.shtml

So it's impossible to plan one's downloads ahead of time as your own network
usage might change on a day-to-day basis?

4. Define what you mean by 'discuss their usage patterns'.

Exactly what I said. We will contact the customers who are using the
connection heavily at busy times in a consistent manner and discuss what
can be done to provide the best service for them without impacting the
service provided to our other users.

That means absolutely nothing. What restrictions or sanctions might you
impose on a customer?

Old May 22nd 05, 08:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

: F L I G H T Y : wrote:
" : F L I G H T Y : " wrote in message

I'm considering migrating from DEMON to PlusNet and have the following
questions:-
1 does this ISP support access via a Belkin ADSL wireless modem router
and PPPoA connection?
2 does Broadband Premier include unlimited downloads?
3 what downstream connection speeds can I expect?

TIA
- -
: F L I G H T Y :

Thank you all for your comments - I'm impressed that PlusNet support is
visible in a public forum - more than can be said of DEMON who are fighting
shy of giving me an upgrade. I've been paying 24.99 for 512Kbs for 18
months and it's time for a change.

Come on DEMON - what would you rather have, 80% of something or 100% of
nothing?

I'm paying 14.99 a month for 512k uncapped (migration charge 14.99) no
frills (webspace or lots of email addresses) cos I dont need them with
ADSL4Less. Works fine for me with a 4 port router and I only have a 1
month contract.

I have also learnt not to have an ISP dependant email address as its
this hassle that puts people off migrating.