UK Online and Connection?

Old May 21st 05, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default UK Online and Connection?

Ordered a move from virgin to UkOnline and was told on the 10th May by
email that my service would be activated and an email and modem will be
sent out, but have not received the modem yet.

Yestarday my connection was dead when I got home from work, so tried
the user name and password from UKonline and was online straight way.
Now if I did not have a adls modem router then I'd be stuck.

This is not good service at all and the customer care telephone line is
always busy.

Anyone else have any views?

Old May 24th 05, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 21 May 2005 14:47 -0700, " wrote:

Ordered a move from virgin to UkOnline

So Virgin.net gave you a MAC for the migration OK ? That's worth knowing.

was told on the 10th May by email that my service would be activated
and an email and modem will be sent out, but have not received the
modem yet. ... tried the user name and password from UKonline ...
Now if I did not have a adls modem router then I'd be stuck.

This is not good service at all and the customer care telephone
line is always busy. Anyone else have any views?

Well, the customer care aspect is a bit less than ideal, but I see only
customer support or sales numbers, and none for customer care. I'd not
be too surprised if they get a lot of new customers - either those that
are very heavy users wanting to switch for a 500 GB monthly limit, or a
number who live in their areas who want ADSL for 9.99 a month, and that
is one penalty for any cheap deal at least initially. As for the modem
not yet arriving, I would be quite surprised if they were ever going to
send one. For someone migrating to their service, it may be assumed as
you had been online with ADSL before moving to them... I have not seen
any other ISPs offering a free modem when you migrate to them, but your
call to their sales department would be free - just don't be surprised,
if they laugh at the idea of you getting a free modem (sorry, but I may
laugh at that one if I was in their shoes, OK, perhaps not if a boss is
hovering behind me :-) Anyway, hope you enjoy the service - will be a
load of people interested to know, I expect. Peter M.

PS I think you put 'SPAM' into the name, not the e-mail address field.

Old May 25th 05, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Broomhall

On Tue, 24 May 2005 22:30:29 +0100, Peter M
wrote:

[SNIP]
Well, the customer care aspect is a bit less than ideal, but I see only
customer support or sales numbers, and none for customer care. I'd not
be too surprised if they get a lot of new customers - either those that
are very heavy users wanting to switch for a 500 GB monthly limit, or a
number who live in their areas who want ADSL for 9.99 a month, and that
is one penalty for any cheap deal at least initially. As for the modem
not yet arriving, I would be quite surprised if they were ever going to
send one.

They do send one. A friend of mine migrated from BT to UKOL and
got the free modem, which I suspect he hasn't unpacked yet!

Regards,
Harry.

Old May 25th 05, 02:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 25 May 2005 11:51, Harry Broomhall wrote:

They do send one. A friend of mine migrated from BT to UKOL and
got the free modem, which I suspect he hasn't unpacked yet!

Thanks for that - I did spend some time trying to ascertain what offer
there was, but because the numbers I entered either had ADSL already or
in one case, for a neighbour, had been ceased, I was somewhat blocked in
my efforts to make much progress on the site. Maybe there was some link
I should have used, but everything I saw seemed to be taking me to check
if I could get service (and the 8000 kbps service is not available here,
right now at least, and perhaps into the future, as I am further away to
the south-west than Chester, from Liverpool). Peter M.

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old May 25th 05, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 24 May 2005 22:30, Peter M wrote:

I would be quite surprised if they were ever going to send one. For
someone migrating to their service, it may be assumed as you had been
online with ADSL before moving to them...

Ah well, Harry has confirmed (I only posted what I did after taking quite
some time, trying to see if there was a full description of what one would
get when doing a migration, but short of placing an order, I could not get
vert far without it stumbling over needing phone number and postcode, etc!

I still think it mighty strange they'd shell out for a modem you wouldn't
need (in all probability), if migrating to their service. Peter M.

--
Try a commercial news service - from 50 MB/day (once-only fee of $5 )
up to 1500 MB/day for 6 months $99.95, 600 GB over 6 months $149.75
Old May 26th 05, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 25 May 2005 20:43:34 +0100, Peter M
wrote:

I still think it mighty strange they'd shell out for a modem you wouldn't
need (in all probability), if migrating to their service.

for their faster service they supply an Actiontec router and insist
you use it if there are problems. Must save a lot of support costs
supporting myriad modems etc, esp if they do sometihng different to BT
with the ADSL.

Phil

Old May 26th 05, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Broomhall

wrote:

On 24 May 2005 22:30, Peter M wrote:

I would be quite surprised if they were ever going to send one. For
someone migrating to their service, it may be assumed as you had been
online with ADSL before moving to them...

Ah well, Harry has confirmed (I only posted what I did after taking quite
some time, trying to see if there was a full description of what one would
get when doing a migration, but short of placing an order, I could not get
vert far without it stumbling over needing phone number and postcode, etc!

I still think it mighty strange they'd shell out for a modem you wouldn't
need (in all probability), if migrating to their service. Peter M.

Simple - support costs! UKOL (and many others) will usualy only
support the modem/router they have supplied. Saves lots of
head-scratching when the customer rings up with a problem and he has a
router noone has ever heard of!

Regards,
Harry.

Old May 26th 05, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 26 May 2005 10:52, Harry Broomhall wrote:

Simple - support costs! UKOL (and many others) will usualy only support
the modem/router they have supplied. Saves lots of head-scratching when
the customer rings up with a problem and he has a router noone has ever
heard of!

In which case, it does seem inexcusable to expect (or perhaps 'require') it
be used, if it is not getting to the customer in a timely manner, and would
seem to be a 'black mark' for not getting things done - though there is the
possibility it has turned up now, for the original poster... Giving that a
mail on 10/05 said it would be 7 days, and their service went live on 20/05
(based on the date of the post) then I suppose one would have to allow them
the possibility of a delivery going astray, but still, we won't know unless
the original poster completes the story... Peter M.

Old May 26th 05, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 26 May 2005 08:17, Phil Thompson wrote:

Actiontec router and insist you use it if there are problems. Must save
a lot of support costs supporting myriad modems etc, ...

True. Just not clear from the original post what service was going onto
that user's line, but can see the benefit of doing it that way. Seems a
good idea for all ISPs to follow, losing the USB driver problems forever
(and then hitting against 'you must have a 10/100 ethernet card' as min.
spec for the service... but would open way for MS-DOS/Win 95 users :-))

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Can accept mail for your domain and apply filtering...
Point your MX record to mx.runbox.com and use POP/IMAP...
Old May 27th 05, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Sorry for the lack of feedback. UKonline don't provide a news server!

I got my modem delivered on Monday the 23rd. I'm on the 512k service @
9.95, which is why I moved from a 512k 17.99 capped service.

I've sent a few emails to customer services, but had no response so
far.

The customer care service is poor, hanging on the phone for a long time
brings no success and emails are not answered.

I'm online but did not get that email confirming whne I'd be going
live!

Its not a good start for anyone who is new to this, as it can leave
them in the dark for too long. I thought the idea was to make the
transition very smooth...

Regards

deshi