Modem Int or Ext

Old May 22nd 05, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roy

Default Modem Int or Ext

I have an internal Conexant PCI modem installed, since upgrading from 512 to
2Mb connection. when running Applications I now find my downloads frequently
stall for periods. Would an external modem cure this. Also as I have no
intentions of ever connecting another computer to this setup, am I right in
thinking a Router would be of no advantage over a Modem.

Thanks Roy

Old May 22nd 05, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kev

snip

Also as I have no intentions of ever connecting another computer to this
setup, am I right in
thinking a Router would be of no advantage over a Modem.

Thanks Roy

Not at all.

A decent router will have a firewall facility which could significantly
reduce the risk of your machine being compromised. While you may have
software protection there are already cases of PC-based solutions being
disabled. If you got a good SPI router such as a Draytek you would not even
need to open up the ports to play games online.

Old May 22nd 05, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

Kev wrote:

snip

Also as I have no intentions of ever connecting another computer to this
setup, am I right in

thinking a Router would be of no advantage over a Modem.

Thanks Roy

Not at all.

A decent router will have a firewall facility which could significantly
reduce the risk of your machine being compromised. While you may have
software protection there are already cases of PC-based solutions being
disabled. If you got a good SPI router such as a Draytek you would not even
need to open up the ports to play games online.

You missed the part where the Op was talking about stalling downloads
which may be more of a concern to him.

A router will be seperately powered and carries out its own processing.
It will present little if no load to the pc and you should find
downloading better than a USB device, but perhaps not too much better
than a PCI device dependant on your PC speed and hardware/software setup.

In addition, the comments above are totally valid - a router may give
more protection depending on what additional protecion it contains and
how you set its configuration.

So a resounding 'yes' - go and buy one and keep your PCI card as a
backup just in case.
Old May 22nd 05, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

A router will be seperately powered and carries out its own processing.
It will present little if no load to the pc

So can you say for sure that a PCI NIC uses less recourses than a PCI modem?
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old May 22nd 05, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

Graham wrote:

A router will be seperately powered and carries out its own processing.
It will present little if no load to the pc

So can you say for sure that a PCI NIC uses less recourses than a PCI modem?

No, and I qualified it by saying that the router would present little or
no load, and then I followed up by saying but perhaps not too much
better than a PCI modem (as the NIC will probably be a PCI device like
the modem) dependant on your PC speed and hardware/software setup.

Whats your grief?
Old May 22nd 05, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roy

"Oliver Gunnell" wrote in message
.. .

"Roy" wrote in message
I have an internal Conexant PCI modem installed, since upgrading from 512
2Mb connection. when running Applications I now find my downloads
frequently
stall for periods. Would an external modem cure this. Also as I have no
intentions of ever connecting another computer to this setup, am I right
in
thinking a Router would be of no advantage over a Modem.

Thanks Roy

Can you post your computer spec?
Also does this only happen when you load your pc
by that I mean run lots of things at once.

Regards

AMD Xp2800 Only happens when I load the PC or do a large file move from
drive to drive

Roy

Old May 22nd 05, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

On Sun, 22 May 2005 11:26:49 +0100, Graham wrote:

A router will be seperately powered and carries out its own processing.
It will present little if no load to the pc

So can you say for sure that a PCI NIC uses less recourses than a PCI modem?

I would say yes because most pci modems are software devices these days
and therefore rely on the pc's cpu to process the data. A router will have
its own hardware cpu, all the pc has to do is accept and process the
ethernet packets. Simple test, if the box the modem comes in, gives you a
min spec of pc then its a software device. You dont find min specs on the
box of ADSL routers.

Yes to routers for the above and the other posts reasons, no to USB and
pci modems.

Dave

Old May 22nd 05, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sun, 22 May 2005 11:57:35 +0100, johnydeath
wrote:

Graham wrote:

A router will be seperately powered and carries out its own processing.
It will present little if no load to the pc

So can you say for sure that a PCI NIC uses less recourses than a PCI modem?

No,

But given that ethernet is a well-established protocol and chipsets
are very efficient, whereas consumer ADSL is relatively new and
probably somewhat less efficient, there's a fair chance he's right.

Old May 22nd 05, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sun, 22 May 2005 15:04:13 +0100, "Roy"
wrote:

AMD Xp2800 Only happens when I load the PC or do a large file move from
drive to drive

It may be that the PCI bus is getting flooded at these times, and no
bandwidth / CPU is left for the modem. Moving to a router & NIC ought
to improve this as most NICs use very little or no CPU, and manage
their bus usage very well.

As for which router - pick one that suits your budget. I've used
Actiontec, SMC and USR and all worked perfectly well. Obviously more
expensive ones will be rinky-dinkier but do you need that?