VPN

Old May 22nd 05, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Owens

Default VPN

I am considering changing suppliers for my internet feed.

I know that at least one of my clients is setting up a system whereby I
might need toVPN in to them.

Do the ISP's charge extra for this. Do any block it ?
Do any actually help set it up ?

Sorry if that seems naive but I have looked at several ISP sites and cannot
find the info.

--
John Owens
www.goodviews.co.uk

Old May 22nd 05, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Sun, 22 May 2005 10:28:24 +0100, "John Owens"
wrote:

I am considering changing suppliers for my internet feed.

I know that at least one of my clients is setting up a system whereby I
might need toVPN in to them.

Do the ISP's charge extra for this. Do any block it ?
Do any actually help set it up ?

Sorry if that seems naive but I have looked at several ISP sites and cannot
find the info.

Best to have a fixed IP for VPN activities at least on the site that you wish
to contact, not all ISPs will provide this.

I have not come across any IP that either charges for using VPN or blocks the
facility.

Help is not easy to come by but there is some useful information on the
Draytek site. I will dig out the URL if you can't find the relevant pages.

David Bradley
Old May 22nd 05, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

wrote:

I am considering changing suppliers for my internet feed.

I know that at least one of my clients is setting up a system whereby I
might need toVPN in to them.

Do the ISP's charge extra for this. Do any block it ?
Do any actually help set it up ?

Sorry if that seems naive but I have looked at several ISP sites and cannot
find the info.

I have been with BTOpenworld (dial-up), Pipex (Wireless DSL) and Zen.
No additional setup has been required to make my VPN connection work.

--
AnthonyL
Old May 22nd 05, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Sun, 22 May 2005 12:09:26 +0100, "Oliver Gunnell"
wrote:

"David Bradley" wrote in message
.. .

wrote:

I have been with BTOpenworld (dial-up), Pipex (Wireless DSL) and Zen.
No additional setup has been required to make my VPN connection work.

That's rubbish. At the very least you have to say where you want your VPN
go to, which implies you need to know the remote IP or name. Even then it
would be very unlikely you could establish a connection without an account
name and password. Would you care to broaden your statement so that we
can
understand what you actually meant?

David Bradley

Why would it matter what type of internet connection he is using?
I connect to by company VPN from my laptop using dial up, Gprs,
Adsl, I never have to change my VPN settings

In the situation you describe, then there is indeed no need to change any
settings to connect using dial up, GPRS or ADSL". However at one time or
another an initial set up would have been necessary. My impression, perhaps
wrongly, was that the OP had to nothing to do in this respect, hence my
comment "rubbish".

If Anthony is taking about the remote not the server, then he is not talking
rubbish at all.

We just need to clarify a bit more on what the OP actually meant before
passing further comment.

David Bradley

Old May 22nd 05, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

wrote:

Why would it matter what type of internet connection he is using?

some hardware won't pass or terminate some types of VoIP session,
especially wireless.

Some ISPs have restrictions like firewalls that may block it too. I
recall reading of at least one that supported VPN on business accounts
but not residentail (sounds like a commercial wheeze)

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
Old May 22nd 05, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

wrote:

I am considering changing suppliers for my internet feed.

I know that at least one of my clients is setting up a system whereby I
might need toVPN in to them.

Do the ISP's charge extra for this. Do any block it ?
Do any actually help set it up ?

Sorry if that seems naive but I have looked at several ISP sites and cannot
find the info.

I have been with BTOpenworld (dial-up), Pipex (Wireless DSL) and Zen.
No additional setup has been required to make my VPN connection work.

That's rubbish.

It isn't

At the very least you have to say where you want your VPN to
go to, which implies you need to know the remote IP or name.

Obviously

Even then it
would be very unlikely you could establish a connection without an account
name and password.

That has nothing to do with the OP's choice of ISP

Would you care to broaden your statement so that we can
understand what you actually meant?

No problem.

The OP's customer (I'll use the term client as in client/server) is
setting up the VPN server end. The OP, as am I, are the client. In
my case the customer has the static IP.

hth

--
AnthonyL
Old May 25th 05, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

On Tue, 24 May 2005 15:06:57 +0100, "John Owens"
wrote:

Funnily enough my news server only shows posts 1 and 3 of this thread.

Anyhow. FWIW. Btopenworld said that
'no charge specifically for the VPN, but 10 a month for th static IP'

Just to clarify. My responses were based on your customer having the
VPN server so he needs the static IP. In my (similar) situation I do
not need a static IP to access my customer's VPN and no special
arrangements using 3 different ISP's including BTOpenworld.

The VPN I'm using is IPSEC based if that's any help.

--
AnthonyL
Old May 26th 05, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Owens

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
Anyhow. FWIW. Btopenworld said that
'no charge specifically for the VPN, but 10 a month for th static IP'

Just to clarify. My responses were based on your customer having the
VPN server so he needs the static IP. In my (similar) situation I do
not need a static IP to access my customer's VPN and no special
arrangements using 3 different ISP's including BTOpenworld.

The VPN I'm using is IPSEC based if that's any help
--
AnthonyL

Many thanks.
All is now clear (well apart from the IPSEC but I'll deal with that another
time).

John
--
John Owens