telephone-broadband-linerental question

Old May 22nd 05, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
les

Default telephone-broadband-linerental question

We have our house up for sale and hope to move to cumbria when sold.
We are moving into a ADSL enabled area and have dial up at the moment.
Have looked around and there seems to be a couple of providers doing a
telephone+broadband+line rental package.
The ones I have seen so far are onetel, NTL and Homecall anyone have
experience or know of any other companies doing the same, requirements are
512k not heavy useage, line rental packages appeal as a one stop purchase.
Thanks
Les
www.portofness.co.uk

Old May 22nd 05, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

les wrote:

We have our house up for sale and hope to move to cumbria when sold.
We are moving into a ADSL enabled area and have dial up at the moment.
Have looked around and there seems to be a couple of providers doing a
telephone+broadband+line rental package.
The ones I have seen so far are onetel, NTL and Homecall anyone have
experience or know of any other companies doing the same, requirements are
512k not heavy useage, line rental packages appeal as a one stop purchase.
Thanks
Les
www.portofness.co.uk

Do you need a BT line or can you get ADSL/Phone via cable? Also what is
you mobile reception like in that area?

Personally I have ADSL at £14.99 a month, I use a BT line so pay BT
rental but use 18866 and 1899 (free registration) for my calls so they
are max 2p for the whole of each uk call no matter how long or when, and
from 0.5p/min overseas, and I use a mobile on 3 with 500 inclusive
minutes & 100 texts per month which cost me £60 for the entire year
after cashback.

It wont suit all circumstances, and others may say they can do it
cheaper, but it works for me.
Old May 22nd 05, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

We have our house up for sale and hope to move to cumbria when sold.
We are moving into a ADSL enabled area and have dial up at the moment.
Have looked around and there seems to be a couple of providers doing a
telephone+broadband+line rental package.
The ones I have seen so far are onetel, NTL and Homecall anyone have
experience or know of any other companies doing the same, requirements
are 512k not heavy useage, line rental packages appeal as a one stop
purchase.

IMHO the benefits of one stop packages are often illusory. Onetel and NTL
have an appalling record of poor customer service and questionable business
practices so I would avoid them. Go for a BT line and choose a separate
supplier for calls and another for broadband. This means you have flexibilty
top change one without the other. My experience with Plusnet has been very
good. I found Onetel to be the pits and an accounting system that was the
worst I have ever encountered.

Peter Crosland

Old May 22nd 05, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stefan Kaniuk

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message

Onetel and NTL
have an appalling record of poor customer service and questionable
business practices so I would avoid them

And you base this judgement on what, my parents have ontel,mobile,landline
and bb and have never had a sinlge issue with ontel at all, i am with ntl as
you can see, and again, i have never had a single issue and have always
found cs helpful and extremely accomodqating during the 1 and only time i
have had to call them, alythough this could be something to do with who i
know :-).

I am just curious on what you base your judgements about these two companies
on, personal experience or otherwise.Remember peter not everyone has the
same problems with these two providers that you may have had.

Old May 22nd 05, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
les

At the moment the house is on BT, no cable and there is mobile signal.
Understand the view of all eggs in one basket, this why I posted the
question.
I guess eventually most isp's will offer landline line rental as an extra.
Am with flyer for dial up and not had a moments trouble but there prices for
broadband are sky high - excuse the pun!
Thanks everyone for their view as it is most helpful.
Les
www.portofness.co.uk

Old May 22nd 05, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith \(UK\)

Personally I have ADSL at £14.99 a month, I use a BT line so pay BT
rental but use 18866 and 1899 (free registration) for my calls so they are
max 2p for the whole of each uk call no matter how long or when, and from
0.5p/min overseas,

Just had a look on the 1899 website. It says they charge nothing per
minute, with a 3p connection fee, making any call cost 3p. Where is the
catch? Do they charge a subscription or minimum amount per month?

Bob

Old May 22nd 05, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

Bob Smith (UK) wrote:

Personally I have ADSL at £14.99 a month, I use a BT line so pay BT
rental but use 18866 and 1899 (free registration) for my calls so they are
max 2p for the whole of each uk call no matter how long or when, and from
0.5p/min overseas,

Just had a look on the 1899 website. It says they charge nothing per
minute, with a 3p connection fee, making any call cost 3p. Where is the
catch? Do they charge a subscription or minimum amount per month?

Bob

18866 charge 2p, and it used to be upto very recently just 1p.

No subscription, no minimum.

No catch as far as I can see and I have been with them for months.

This site is the bible for best deals as far as I am concerned - check
out the call checker and see what other articles are there, including
best use of mobiles etc. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/callchecker/
Old May 22nd 05, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

johnydeath wrote:

Bob Smith (UK) wrote:

Personally I have ADSL at £14.99 a month, I use a BT line so pay BT
rental but use 18866 and 1899 (free registration) for my calls so
they are max 2p for the whole of each uk call no matter how long or
when, and from 0.5p/min overseas,

Just had a look on the 1899 website. It says they charge nothing per
minute, with a 3p connection fee, making any call cost 3p. Where is
the catch? Do they charge a subscription or minimum amount per month?

Bob

18866 charge 2p, and it used to be upto very recently just 1p.

No subscription, no minimum.

No catch as far as I can see and I have been with them for months.

This site is the bible for best deals as far as I am concerned - check
out the call checker and see what other articles are there, including
best use of mobiles etc. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/callchecker/

sorry callchecker for overseas, use this for uk info
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi...95003038,99872,
Old May 23rd 05, 02:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

If you go with OneTel line rental they will put you on CPS and prevent you
from using cheap call providers like 1899 and 18866.
They internet service isn't very good, their mail servers are unreliable and
the news server was pretty useless (I haven't used it for long time now).
You can do better with separate deals, like Plus.Net 2Mb/s broadband for
just £14.99 p.m.
(please use my ID 'wester' as a referrer if you sign up with them, thanks)
and don't forget you can use your broadband connection for VoIP cheap or
free phone calls,
effectively giving you another line.
Regards,
Martin
(Happy Plus.Net customer, still using OneTel, but only for free eve &
weekend calls.)

Old May 23rd 05, 06:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh les:
At the moment the house is on BT, no cable and there is mobile signal.
Understand the view of all eggs in one basket, this why I posted the
question.
I guess eventually most isp's will offer landline line rental as an
extra. Am with flyer for dial up and not had a moments trouble but
there prices for broadband are sky high - excuse the pun!
Thanks everyone for their view as it is most helpful.
Les
www.portofness.co.uk

Trouble with using providers other than BT is you then find for the 50 pence
saving in line rental you are unable to make calls using cheap indirect
providers like 18866 as they will block access and through you off if you try
and get around them via the 0808 number if they hadn't already blocked that
too.