Eclipse to PlusNet? Wise or Not?

Old May 22nd 05, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tekguru (Daron Brewood)

Default Eclipse to PlusNet? Wise or Not?

Due to the unacceptable downtimes with Eclipse Internet (each weekend
recently) I'm considering changing over to PlusNet's Premier broadband
service.

Reasons:

- 2Mb service is cheaper
- 4Mb and 8Mb are around the corner
- 8b with PlusNet is the same price as I'm paying for 2Mb with Eclipse
- Eclipse customer service is not 24/7
- Eclipse Status indicators always seem time lagged or inaccurate.
- According to a friend who has been with PlusNet since last June he has
not experienced one connection outage during that time.

I will be using the service for connection to the net only, no email, no
web pages, no news.

The only concern is that I was with PlusNet about 10 years ago via dial up
adn they were terrible, constant problems and a definite lack of
performance.

So...........

Have PlusNet improved, is the customer service there? Is 24/7 support
really 24/7?

Any ideas as to how long migration will take?

And of course, is this a wise move?

Thoughts please guys as to whether this is a good move. Thoughts quickly if
you can as I want to effect the start of the transfer tomorrow!

Cheers in advance for any thoughts!

--
Tekguru (Daron Brewood)
MS-MVP/Mobile Devices

Webmaster: UKs largest Pocket PC Site
http://www.tekguru.co.uk
Old May 22nd 05, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Tekguru (Daron Brewood) wrote:
[...]

Yes our support is really 24/7, both via telephone and our online ticket
system.

Migration usually takes about 5-7 days.

I'd say it's a wise move, however I am a little biased!

Regards,

--
+ ----- PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old May 23rd 05, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith \(UK\)

Migration usually takes about 5-7 days.

How about from Tiscali?

Bob

Old May 23rd 05, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Bob Smith (UK) wrote:
Migration usually takes about 5-7 days.

How about from Tiscali?

Bob

HI there,

Depends what product you have.

If it's a Datastream product as opposed to IPStream then the only way
you can currently move to us is to cease and reprovide your service
which will involve at least a week of downtime and will mean you are
liable for the line activation fees.

We do have a 'Free Connection' offer, details of which can be found he-

http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...reesetup.shtml

Kind Regards,

Old May 23rd 05, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith \(UK\)

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message
Bob Smith (UK) wrote:
Migration usually takes about 5-7 days.

How about from Tiscali?

Bob

HI there,

Depends what product you have.

If it's a Datastream product as opposed to IPStream then the only way you
can currently move to us is to cease and reprovide your service which will
involve at least a week of downtime and will mean you are liable for the
line activation fees.

We do have a 'Free Connection' offer, details of which can be found he-

http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...reesetup.shtml

Kind Regards,

I came across one ISP that is accepting datastream migrations this morning
for 15... http://www.adsl4less.com/

Bob

Old May 23rd 05, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Bob Smith (UK) wrote:

Migration usually takes about 5-7 days.

How about from Tiscali?

Bob

HI there,

Depends what product you have.

If it's a Datastream product as opposed to IPStream then the only way you
can currently move to us is to cease and reprovide your service which will
involve at least a week of downtime and will mean you are liable for the
line activation fees.

We do have a 'Free Connection' offer, details of which can be found he-

http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...reesetup.shtml

Kind Regards,

I came across one ISP that is accepting datastream migrations this morning
for 15... http://www.adsl4less.com/

Bob

We were looking at Datastream migrations but haven't any solid dates as yet.

Kind Regards,

Old May 23rd 05, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tekguru (Daron Brewood)

On Sun, 22 May 2005 22:10:32 +0100, PlusNet Support Team wrote:

Yes our support is really 24/7, both via telephone and our online ticket
system.

Migration usually takes about 5-7 days.

I'd say it's a wise move, however I am a little biased!

Cheers for that Ben, is there any timescale yet on the 8Mb option?

If one subscribed to that option and only a 2Mb connection was available
initially would one get charged for the 8Mb of for the 2Mb until 8Mb was
available?

Are there any trial places left for testing the 8Mb option?

And finally is there any way (now) of seeing if a number can handle 8Mb?

Cheers!

Old May 24th 05, 12:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Tekguru (Daron Brewood) wrote:

Cheers for that Ben, is there any timescale yet on the 8Mb option?

Nothing concrete no. Having said that BT are hoping for an autumn launch
once trials start coming to a close. We haven't ruled out LLU if BT fail
to deliver.

If one subscribed to that option and only a 2Mb connection was available
initially would one get charged for the 8Mb of for the 2Mb until 8Mb was
available?

You would get charged for the Up to 8MB product. Your other option is to
register for the Up to 2MB product and then upgrade when the speed
becomes available. If you choose to do this the upgrade is likely to
incur a one-off fee. Although this hasn't been determined yet, it is
likely to be in the region of 14.99 - 29.99.

Are there any trial places left for testing the 8Mb option?

No, however BT have plans to increase the amount of places soon. This
may result in us contacting more customers on the associated exchanges
to ask if they would like to take part.

http://www.btwholesale.com/applicati...al_update_1905

And finally is there any way (now) of seeing if a number can handle 8Mb?

No but good line figures can be a good indication of whether or not you
will recieve the higher speed services. Do you know what your line
figures are?

Cheers!

Kind Regards,

Old May 25th 05, 07:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 23 May 2005 15:11, "Bob Smith" [email protected] wrote:

I came across one ISP that is accepting datastream migrations this morning
for 15... http://www.adsl4less.com/

A few are involved with the BT trial of this (Metronet is another).

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Can accept mail for your domain and apply filtering...
Point your MX record to mx.runbox.com and use POP/IMAP...