Digital AND analogue - problems

Old May 23rd 05, 12:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R L Tosswill

Default Digital AND analogue - problems

I have installed BT Broadband, using their "Voyager" modem and it works OK.
However, I still have 6 months to run with my old ISP which I contact by dial-up
(for example to access Usenet. If I use my dial-up connection, I often fing my
BT connection doesn't work, and get an error message like "Dial up connection
doesn't work" - dead helpful.
Can anyone tell me if there is any good reason for this problem and whether
there is a simple fix?
Old May 23rd 05, 01:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 22 May 2005 23:17:01 +0100, R L Tosswill
wrote:

Can anyone tell me if there is any good reason for this problem and whether
there is a simple fix?

are you feeding the dialup modem through the phone side of a
microfilter ? if not you should be.

are these both on the same machine ? a USB Voyager modem and an
internal 56k modem perhaps. Do you disconnect the Voyager connection
before making the dialup ?

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
Old May 23rd 05, 01:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

I have installed BT Broadband, using their "Voyager" modem and it works

OK.
However, I still have 6 months to run with my old ISP which I contact by

dial-up
(for example to access Usenet. If I use my dial-up connection, I often

fing my
BT connection doesn't work, and get an error message like "Dial up

connection
doesn't work" - dead helpful.
Can anyone tell me if there is any good reason for this problem and

whether
there is a simple fix?

Try this.
Control panel - Internet options - Connections tab - never dial a
connection - OK
Now drag a shortcut from both of the connections you use in Dial up
Networking, to your desktop or taskbar (assuming they are not there already)
and use these to connect to the net.

Apart from the fact you are still paying for it, why do you need to use the
dialup?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old May 23rd 05, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R L Tosswill

wrote:

Can anyone tell me if there is any good reason for this problem and whether
there is a simple fix?

are you feeding the dialup modem through the phone side of a
microfilter ? if not you should be.

Yes, through a microfilter

are these both on the same machine ? a USB Voyager modem and an
internal 56k modem perhaps. Do you disconnect the Voyager connection
before making the dialup ?

I disconnect the Voyager connection before dialling up.
Thanks for replying - it is the fact that the fault is intermittent that is so
annoying, but I am sure there is an association between dial-up use and
broadband becoming unavailable until I have completed a restart.
Richard

Old May 23rd 05, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R L Tosswill

On Mon, 23 May 2005 00:16:28 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

[...]

I will try as you suggest. Thank you.

Apart from the fact you are still paying for it, why do you need to use the
dialup?

U-net provide my Usenet access, thus enabling discussions such as this. I will
no doubt have to join a paiid-for Usenet provider eventually.
Richard

Old May 23rd 05, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 23 May 2005 10:16:00 +0100, R L Tosswill
wrote:

Thanks for replying - it is the fact that the fault is intermittent that is so
annoying, but I am sure there is an association between dial-up use and
broadband becoming unavailable until I have completed a restart.

so its a windows thing, running dialup messes up USB modem drivers
perhaps.

FWIW I have a machine that dials up happily while staying connected to
an ethernet ADSL router and Windows seems comfortable switching the
routing around accordingly. Food for thought.

A couple of time I have found 56k modems plugged into the wrong side
of microfilters, not helped by the RJ11 side being marked "modem"

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.