Clearing ADSL from line before signing up to new ISP - When?

Old May 23rd 05, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Duncan Masterman

Default Clearing ADSL from line before signing up to new ISP - When?

How can I tell when my ISP (Tiscali - so known for being difficult to get
away from!) has released my line before I am able to sign up with a new ISP.
They have said upto 15 days from cancellation.

I did have a link
https://www.cs-server1.bt.com/hhway-...USNUM=&TELNUM=
to use which would show the BT work order but that no longer seems to work
(I have removed my customer number & telephone number from this link before
pasting it on the newsgroup)

Old May 23rd 05, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clueless2

"Duncan Masterman" wrote in message
How can I tell when my ISP (Tiscali - so known for being difficult to get
away from!) has released my line before I am able to sign up with a new
ISP. They have said upto 15 days from cancellation.

Why do you want to cancel when you can migrate to another ISP with no loss
of service and saving on setup costs?

Old May 23rd 05, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 23 May 2005 22:51, "Clueless2" [email protected] wrote:

"Duncan Masterman" wrote in message
How can I tell when my ISP has released my line

If you have a router, it will lose sync. It'll usually show the up/down
speeds, but obviously there won't be any PPP connection (unless Tiscali
forget to kill your account).

Why do you want to cancel when you can migrate to another ISP with no loss
of service and saving on setup costs?

Tiscali appear to be incapable of knowing about how to get a MAC for their
{soon to be ex-} customers and without a MAC, you cannot migrate. Also, a
problem (hopefully solved in the current BT trial, if one chooses from the
ISPs which are on that trial :-) currently exists if trying to migrate off
a DataStream service (Tiscali is one of the few ISPs which uses it instead
of IPstream, which the majority of ISPs are using). Peter M.

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Can accept mail for your domain and apply filtering...
Point your MX record to mx.runbox.com and use POP/IMAP...
Old May 24th 05, 08:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Clueless2 [email protected] wrote:

: Why do you want to cancel when you can migrate to another ISP with no loss
: of service and saving on setup costs?

Not from Tiscali he cannot! They do not support MAC code migrations!
Old May 24th 05, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 23 May 2005 22:44:40 +0100, "Duncan Masterman"
wrote:

How can I tell when my ISP (Tiscali - so known for being difficult to get
away from!) has released my line before I am able to sign up with a new ISP.

number checker at www.bt.com/broadband will stop saying things about
ISDN/ADSL in last paragraph of its output ?

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.