New to ADSL: After an hour or so I get disconnected

Old May 24th 05, 01:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hill

Default New to ADSL: After an hour or so I get disconnected

Hi,

I'm with Griffin because of Usenet Access and have 4 PC's connected to ADSL
via a D-Link DSL-604T Router. 3 on Wireless and this PC Hard Wired.

If I leave this PC for over an hour, when I come back I can not connect to
E-Mail or the Web. I can log in to the Router which says I am connected, but
still no joy. If I restart the PC, I am back on.

One of the advantages of ADSL, I have been told, is there is no lengthy dial
up process. However, it is worse for me at the moment as I have to restart
the computer each time.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Peter

Old May 24th 05, 01:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

If I leave this PC for over an hour, when I come back I can not connect to
E-Mail or the Web. I can log in to the Router which says I am connected, but
still no joy. If I restart the PC, I am back on.
Any ideas?

Just a guess, but see if there`s a "lease" time - the computer / router
might be dropping the connection once the time period is up.

Not sure whether this might narrow it down, but try unplugging the
network cable for the affected computer for a couple of seconds and
plugging it back in - that might refresh the IP address / lease, and get
you up and running again.

Old May 24th 05, 02:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
If I leave this PC for over an hour, when I come back I can not connect
E-Mail or the Web. I can log in to the Router which says I am connected,
but
still no joy. If I restart the PC, I am back on.
Any ideas?

Just a guess, but see if there`s a "lease" time - the computer / router
might be dropping the connection once the time period is up.

Not sure whether this might narrow it down, but try unplugging the
network cable for the affected computer for a couple of seconds and
plugging it back in - that might refresh the IP address / lease, and get
you up and running again.

When it next happens, try opening up a DOS prompt (Start | Run | cmd) and
running the following commands one after the other:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

and see if (without restarting the PC or the router) you can again access
the internet.

My dad had a problem with his Solwise router which was due to an error
whereby the router would quote duff DNS information to the PC when it
refreshed the DHCP lease. DNS information is used for accessing the world
outside your network.

Might be worth opening a DOS prompt while everything's working and run

ipconfig /all c:\before

Then when the problem occurs (and before doing the ipconfig /release) open a
DOS prompt and run

ipconfig /all c:\after

and compare the two: there shouldn't be any difference to the DNS or gateway
addresses between the two occasions.

Old May 24th 05, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 24 May 2005 00:28:04 +0100, "Peter Hill"
wrote:

However, it is worse for me at the moment as I have to restart
the computer each time.

tried just repairing the relevant ethernet connection, or
disabling/enabling it ?

get a black screen command prompt ('cmd' from the Run box of Start)
then type 'ipconfig /all' when it is in the failed state. Compare that
to the same info when its working.

If you can log onto the router but not access t'internet then 'tis a
router issue I fear. Look for any settings with units of time and set
them to zero or disable them.

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
Old May 24th 05, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

"Peter Hill" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm with Griffin because of Usenet Access and have 4 PC's connected to
ADSL via a D-Link DSL-604T Router. 3 on Wireless and this PC Hard Wired.

If I leave this PC for over an hour, when I come back I can not connect to
E-Mail or the Web. I can log in to the Router which says I am connected,
but still no joy. If I restart the PC, I am back on.

One of the advantages of ADSL, I have been told, is there is no lengthy
dial up process. However, it is worse for me at the moment as I have to
restart the computer each time.

Any ideas?

Try disabling power saving - if that works, then it's possible that when you
are losing the gateway IP, so while you connect to the router you won't be
able to connect to anything else. The problem with power saving in a LAN
environment is that Windows expects everything to be the same when it wakes
up - and most of the time it's not.

Dan

Old May 24th 05, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hill

OK,

Tried ipconfig/all with results which were identical except the lease time
settings which seem to be an hour.

Tried "ipconfig/release"& "ipconfig/renew" but still no internet although
access to Router ok.

Tried unplugging network cable & replugging it in, again with no internet as
a result.

Tried reducing the lease time to zero. No internet.

I then restarted the PC and there was initially no internet and the Network
status continually flagged up. I struggled to access the router, but when I
did I reset the lease time to 99999 seconds. Internet access resumed and an
"ipconfig/all" has a 2 hour lease time.

As suggested I've disabled any power management and I'll see what happens.
It seems to me that if I don't access the internet in this 2 hour period, it
will cease to let me on.

Strange

Old May 24th 05, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NBT

Peter Hill wrote:
[...]

What happens if you give the PC a static IP instead of a dynamic one,
this will remove "Lease Time" from the equation.

Old May 24th 05, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 24 May 2005 18:20:36 +0100, "Peter Hill"
wrote:

I then restarted the PC and there was initially no internet and the Network
status continually flagged up. I struggled to access the router, but when I
did I reset the lease time to 99999 seconds. Internet access resumed and an
"ipconfig/all" has a 2 hour lease time.

2 hours or 26 hours ? (should be ~28 hrs)

Phil

Old May 24th 05, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hill

2 hours or 26 hours ? (should be ~28 hrs)

Phil

Ah yes just done ipconfig/all at 2121 hrs. (I reset Lease to 99999 minutes
on Router)

Lease Obtained: 24 May 2005 19:16:56
Lease Expires: 05 June 2005 09:03:35

I wonder if the problem is now solved?