House wiring: how best to connect?

Old May 24th 05, 01:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

Default House wiring: how best to connect?

I will be installing a wireless router for a customer who has various
plug-in extensions, probably not BT-installed, plugged into the master
socket. The router will be connected to the master socket. Is there any
advantage in connecting all the other extensions to the phone socket of the
microfilter, rather than connecting them directly to the master socket - ie

------- master ----- MF ----- router
+------ splitter --------- ext 1
+-------------- ext 2
+-------------- ext 3

rather than

------- master ----- splitter ----- MF ----- router
+------------ MF ----- ext 1
+------------ MF ----- ext 2
+------------ MF ----- ext 3

If any of the extension wiring or the phones connected to it is dodgy, will
the former layout make it less likely that the broadband signal will be
affected.

Old May 24th 05, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
thoss

In article ,
Martin Underwood writes
I will be installing a wireless router for a customer who has various
plug-in extensions, probably not BT-installed, plugged into the master
socket. The router will be connected to the master socket. Is there any
advantage in connecting all the other extensions to the phone socket of the
microfilter, rather than connecting them directly to the master socket - ie

------- master ----- MF ----- router
+------ splitter --------- ext 1
+-------------- ext 2
+-------------- ext 3

rather than

------- master ----- splitter ----- MF ----- router
+------------ MF ----- ext 1
+------------ MF ----- ext 2
+------------ MF ----- ext 3

There's no difference, as the ADSL socket of a splitter is unfiltered.
--
Thoss
Old May 24th 05, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
[...]

Doesnt make that nuch difference except option 1 looks neater and easier to
support.

Ian

Old May 24th 05, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 24 May 2005 00:47:39 +0100, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

If any of the extension wiring or the phones connected to it is dodgy, will
the former layout make it less likely that the broadband signal will be
affected.

it filters at the earliest opportunity so reduces the amount of wiring
that is on the unfiltered side. Preferable I think.

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices.
Old May 24th 05, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

Any chance the user will want to move the router to another socket? If not,
then I'd go for the "single filter" option. I've used on the clarity
"master socket faceplate" filters and it worked a treat for me. I was lucky
that the socket where I wanted to router was wired with 6-core so I could
use two of the unused wires to carry the ADSL and replace the single socket
with a dual ADSL/phone socket.

Paul DS.

Old May 24th 05, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

[...]

It is good practice to use a single ADSL filter and wire all the telephone
sockets from its POTS port.
Moreover in marginal ADSL signal situations, this approach can significantly
improve performance over multiple filters. (Tidier too)

Why don't you go the whole hog and replace the NTE5 faceplate with one with
a built-in filter?
http://snipurl.com/f497

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old May 25th 05, 02:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
I will be installing a wireless router for a customer who has various
plug-in extensions, probably not BT-installed, plugged into the master
socket. The router will be connected to the master socket. Is there any
advantage in connecting all the other extensions to the phone socket of the
microfilter, rather than connecting them directly to the master socket - ie

------- master ----- MF ----- router
+------ splitter --------- ext 1

Yes definitely. It ensures that all the extension wiring is filtered which can
be important if you have a marginal line.

If you want there are special master socket faceplates which do just this. See

http://www.clarity.it/acatalog/ADSL_Installation.html

--

Michael Chare