A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Plusnet pricing



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 24th 05, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Plusnet pricing

I'm a little confused by the pricing on the Plusnet website. It states
that you can get the service, with a free modem and one year contract
with free setup. But later on it states that if you cancel after a
year, you'll owe them the cost of the modem plus 58.75 less 11.75 for
every year that you stay with them. Hence it looks to me like a lot
more than just 1 year contract if you have to pay to migrate.

Likewise there are dropdown boxes for options to pay 11.75 or 58.75 on
startup and these seem to give no benefit at all.

If someone from plusnet is here, perhaps they could comment.

Geoff
  #2  
Old May 24th 05, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 66
Default Plusnet pricing

Geoff wrote:
I'm a little confused by the pricing on the Plusnet website. It states
that you can get the service, with a free modem and one year contract
with free setup. But later on it states that if you cancel after a
year, you'll owe them the cost of the modem plus 58.75 less 11.75 for
every year that you stay with them. Hence it looks to me like a lot
more than just 1 year contract if you have to pay to migrate.

Likewise there are dropdown boxes for options to pay 11.75 or 58.75 on
startup and these seem to give no benefit at all.

If someone from plusnet is here, perhaps they could comment.

Geoff


Hi there,

Lets firstly assume you choose the 'Free Activation and Modem' Offer.

You have the choice of signing up to an annual or monthly contract. The
monthlyl contract incurs an additional 11.75 surcharge.

If you choose an annual contract and decide to leave within the first 12
months, then you are contracted to pay the remainder of your 12 months
subscription costs.

If you choose a monthly contract and leave within the first 12 months
then we just require 30 days notice.

In addition to the above, and assuming you opted for the activation and
modem offer, you would be asked to pay back a proportion of the setup
fees should you leave within the first 5 years service.

These fees are detailed he-

http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...reesetup.shtml

Despite the above, you are still only bound to your contract for a month
or a year dependent on what you opt for.

--
|Bob Pullen Broadband Solutions for
|Support Home & Business @
|PlusNet plc. www.plus.net
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to Internet! -----
  #3  
Old May 24th 05, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,496
Default Plusnet pricing

On 24 May 2005 13:05, Geoff wrote:

It states that you can get the service, with a free modem and one year
contract with free setup. But later on it states that if you cancel
after a year, you'll owe them the cost of the modem plus 58.75 less
11.75 for every year that you stay with them. Hence it looks to me
like a lot more than just 1 year contract if you have to pay to migrate.


I'd suggest it as a 'deferred payment' which reduces over time...

I've complained in the plusnet.service.customer-feedback group that when
putting a graphic or description of 'Free' the implication is something
other than what is explained in the smaller print on a different page,
that their offer is "You Stay, We Pay". Personally I think it is quite
misleading, but some comments from some other customers seem to think
that it is acceptable:

"a fairly standard type of offer in UK retail - similar in a way to
loyalty type cards in supermarkets - and boils down to 'Stick with us
and you save money'. Nothing world shattering, and the use of the
word 'free' in such circumstances is acceptable."

"To me that is genuinely free. There are plenty of worse "free" offers
around. Buy this, get that free, spend 100, get 2 worth of goods
free... None of these are free, but perfectly legals to advertise as
being free. Plusnets offer IS free, you just have to abide by the
terms, which are given up front..."

On the other hand, a few agreed this was not acceptable.

"Free over 5 years" would be more honest and upfront.

"it says there's "no catch". Yes there is a catch, the catch is that
you have to stay for 5 years. And I have to agree that 5 years is
rather excessive, most ISP's will give you free activation if you
stay for 12 months, and let's face it, how many people are going to
stay in the same house on the same broadband package for 5 years ?"

"I have to say this has taken me by surprise - I migrated to PlusNet
with a 14.99 charged waived if I stay a year. That's fine, prefectly
normal and acceptable, but FIVE YEARS for setup charges to go away?"

Someone else posted:

"More to the point, if they just said "free" in their adverts without
mentioning the conditions (and indeed quite a few of the pages on the
PN website do this), the ASA would have something to say about it.
Perhaps this is one of the reasons why PN doesn't advertise? I'm also
pretty certain the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts regulations
takes a dim view of "free" offers where the conditions are unclear
or not made obvious.

A 5 year lock in period is ridiculous anyway. 5 years ago FRIACO and
ADSL were both very new and experimental. Redhotant, Liberty Surf and
Breathe were some of the bigger players and they promptly went bust. ...
Who can say what the broadband market will be like in 5 years time?
With things like ADSL2+ and 21CN it is likely to be very different."

That last one did cause a response from Plus.Net, as it went on to
mention ADSL2...

"The five years isn't a "lock-in" you can leave at any time. We are just
giving another option to customers who move house. We know that the cost
of moving house is a barrier and we've come up with something to try and
help."


--
runbox.com - 1000 MB of mail storage and 100 MB for files...
30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Can accept mail for your domain and apply filtering...
Point your MX record to mx.runbox.com and use POP/IMAP...
  #4  
Old May 24th 05, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 329
Default Plusnet pricing

On Tue, 24 May 2005 14:38:51 +0100, Peter M wrote:

On 24 May 2005 13:05, Geoff wrote:

It states that you can get the service, with a free modem and one year
contract with free setup. But later on it states that if you cancel
after a year, you'll owe them the cost of the modem plus 58.75 less
11.75 for every year that you stay with them. Hence it looks to me
like a lot more than just 1 year contract if you have to pay to migrate.


I'd suggest it as a 'deferred payment' which reduces over time...

I've complained in the plusnet.service.customer-feedback group that when
putting a graphic or description of 'Free' the implication is something
other than what is explained in the smaller print on a different page,
that their offer is "You Stay, We Pay". Personally I think it is quite
misleading, but some comments from some other customers seem to think
that it is acceptable:

"a fairly standard type of offer in UK retail - similar in a way to
loyalty type cards in supermarkets - and boils down to 'Stick with us
and you save money'. Nothing world shattering, and the use of the
word 'free' in such circumstances is acceptable."

"To me that is genuinely free. There are plenty of worse "free" offers
around. Buy this, get that free, spend 100, get 2 worth of goods
free... None of these are free, but perfectly legals to advertise as
being free. Plusnets offer IS free, you just have to abide by the
terms, which are given up front..."

On the other hand, a few agreed this was not acceptable.

"Free over 5 years" would be more honest and upfront.

"it says there's "no catch". Yes there is a catch, the catch is that
you have to stay for 5 years. And I have to agree that 5 years is
rather excessive, most ISP's will give you free activation if you
stay for 12 months, and let's face it, how many people are going to
stay in the same house on the same broadband package for 5 years ?"


Just to be absolutely clear on this matter, if you have a Broadband service
from PlusNet, decide to agree to stay within them for a year, thus paying 50
+ VAT connection fee, but not taking their modem "offer", I assume you may
migrate to another ISP after one year without paying any "leaving" fees. Is
this true or false?

David Bradley
"I have to say this has taken me by surprise - I migrated to PlusNet
with a 14.99 charged waived if I stay a year. That's fine, prefectly
normal and acceptable, but FIVE YEARS for setup charges to go away?"

Someone else posted:

"More to the point, if they just said "free" in their adverts without
mentioning the conditions (and indeed quite a few of the pages on the
PN website do this), the ASA would have something to say about it.
Perhaps this is one of the reasons why PN doesn't advertise? I'm also
pretty certain the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts regulations
takes a dim view of "free" offers where the conditions are unclear
or not made obvious.

A 5 year lock in period is ridiculous anyway. 5 years ago FRIACO and
ADSL were both very new and experimental. Redhotant, Liberty Surf and
Breathe were some of the bigger players and they promptly went bust. ...
Who can say what the broadband market will be like in 5 years time?
With things like ADSL2+ and 21CN it is likely to be very different."

That last one did cause a response from Plus.Net, as it went on to
mention ADSL2...

"The five years isn't a "lock-in" you can leave at any time. We are just
giving another option to customers who move house. We know that the cost
of moving house is a barrier and we've come up with something to try and
help."


  #5  
Old May 24th 05, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Plusnet pricing

Thank you to the PlusNet support team for their quick response.

It is a refreshing honesty to see that they detail what the costs are,
rather than saying 'free' without qualifying it. However, a number of
other ISPs do seem to offer 12 month contracts and free modem setup
without the requirement to pay back anything if they cancel after 12
months. For example, Demon, Virgin.net, Eclipse etc..

Geoff
  #6  
Old May 24th 05, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JohnT
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default Plusnet pricing

On Tue, 24 May 2005 13:53:26 +0100, someone purporting to be PlusNet
Support Team wrote:

In addition to the above, and assuming you opted for the [free] activation
and modem offer, you would be asked to pay back a proportion of the setup
fees should you leave within the first 5 years service.


If you cancel within the first year, PlusNet will demand 58.75 for the
activation. For every year you stay they will reduce that by 11.75.

If you also choose to take a modem as part of the offer there will be an
additional cancellation fee of 25 in the first year and this will reduce
by 5 for each year that you stay.

I believe this will leave a very nasty taste in the mouths of some PlusNet
customers and make it less likely they will ever return.

john

  #7  
Old May 24th 05, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gzl
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 50
Default Plusnet pricing


"JohnT" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 24 May 2005 13:53:26 +0100, someone purporting to be

PlusNet
Support Team wrote:

In addition to the above, and assuming you opted for the [free]

activation
and modem offer, you would be asked to pay back a proportion of

the setup
fees should you leave within the first 5 years service.


If you cancel within the first year, PlusNet will demand 58.75

for the
activation. For every year you stay they will reduce that by

11.75.

If you also choose to take a modem as part of the offer there will

be an
additional cancellation fee of 25 in the first year and this will

reduce
by 5 for each year that you stay.

I believe this will leave a very nasty taste in the mouths of some

PlusNet
customers and make it less likely they will ever return.


I'd say it'll put a lot of 'potential' customers off too.
It's put me off em altogether.

  #8  
Old May 24th 05, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,496
Default Plusnet pricing

On 24 May 2005 13:53, PlusNet Support Team wrote:

Despite the above, you are still only bound to your contract for a month
or a year dependent on what you opt for.


It's the 'Free' word which causes this to be another black mark against
Plus.Net. I saw mention of the new low prices and suggested there be a
news item on one of the websites, but it resulted in a comment from the
person I contacted that because of the 'hidden' nature of the deferred
charges, they would not include an item (I think it was something to
do with waiving charges for someone keeping their account but moving
home... another ISP offers to pay the activation fee, and I saw that
Plus.Net had [perhaps the same day as I saw the other news item] plans
to offer customers the same type of incentive to stay, but of course in
the case of someone moving, they may choose to switch to another ISP who
offers free activation and has no further fees after the first 12 months!

I did try to locate the response from the news editor, but cannot find it
as I probably just deleted it as a 'lost cause'. Seems like Plus.Net is
falling into a public relations black hole with what could at best be a
series of 'poor communications'... I won't write what the worst could
be as a way of describing things... Peter Morgan.


--
runbox.com - 1000 MB of mail storage and 100 MB for files...
30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Can accept mail for your domain and apply filtering...
Point your MX record to mx.runbox.com and use POP/IMAP...
  #9  
Old May 24th 05, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,496
Default Plusnet pricing

On 24 May 2005 15:18, David Bradley wrote:

Just to be absolutely clear on this matter, if you have a Broadband service
from PlusNet, decide to agree to stay within them for a year, thus paying 50
+ VAT connection fee, but not taking their modem "offer", I assume you may
migrate to another ISP after one year without paying any "leaving" fees.
Is this true or false?


True. If you pay the other 11.75 you could leave after a month's notice, as
they also have an option for monthly contract (70.50 instead of 58.75).


--
runbox.com - 1000 MB of mail storage and 100 MB for files...
30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Can accept mail for your domain and apply filtering...
Point your MX record to mx.runbox.com and use POP/IMAP...
  #10  
Old May 24th 05, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 60
Default Plusnet pricing

On the Tue, 24 May 2005 15:50:01 +0100, =?iso-8859-1?B?R/jxevhs4w==?= T
o p @ S e c r e t . c o m uttered forth the following...

I'd say it'll put a lot of 'potential' customers off too.
It's put me off em altogether.


Why because you expect things for free?
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NTL pricing, speed, whatnot Chris Weston uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 13 June 2nd 05 09:56 AM
New pricing and package details from PIPEX... Russell uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 33 February 25th 05 01:48 PM
SDSL pricing info! Martin uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 February 18th 05 05:24 PM
BT statement on LLU pricing Sunil Sood uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 September 23rd 04 04:46 AM
BT slash LLU pricing Andy M Jenkins uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 15 May 14th 04 05:42 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.