Sleepy mode for cable modem?

Old May 24th 05, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
daveoman

Default Sleepy mode for cable modem?

I'm trying to find some information about sleep/standby modes of ANY
cable modems (DOCSYS 1.1 at least). I'd like to set up a system that
has a minimum of power consumption. From what I've been able to
determine, I can't find any modem that has some sort of sleepy mode on
the cable network side of the world. They are always "on" and synced
up on that WAN side (I assume so they can always respond to some sort
of ping of the DOCSYS network.)

I've seen standby modes advertised, but that seems to only apply to
some filtering of packets on the PC side.

In my perfect world, the modem would be asleep, drawing minimal power.
It would wake up when addressed uniquely from the network head end,
establish its connection, and then be available at full power mode.
When done with a session, it would then go back to sleep.

Does anybody know of any modems out there capable of this kind of
scheme?

Thanks.

Old May 24th 05, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Monkeyonasurfboard

"daveoman" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Some Modems /routers have the ability to be always connected or can be set
up to dial out when required ( a sort of standby mode) and will shut off
the connection after a period of inactivety though i doubt they are in any
powersaving mode - Thompson speedouch 510 can be set up in that way

Old May 24th 05, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Monkeyonasurfboard

i should have read your post properly you mentioned cable modems/routers -
the thompson one is for ADSL - apologies

Old May 25th 05, 12:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

daveoman wrote:
I'm trying to find some information about sleep/standby modes of ANY
cable modems (DOCSYS 1.1 at least). I'd like to set up a system that
has a minimum of power consumption. From what I've been able to
determine, I can't find any modem that has some sort of sleepy mode on
the cable network side of the world. They are always "on" and synced
up on that WAN side (I assume so they can always respond to some sort

Define minimum.
My ADSL router uses about 310mA at 12V, or about 3W (I ran it from batteries,
so it was easy to check).
3-10W is annoying, but will not usually break the bank.
Or are you wanting to run from batteries, or something?
Old May 25th 05, 12:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
daveoman

minimum = 40mA @ 12VDC

Old May 25th 05, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

daveoman wrote:
minimum = 40mA @ 12VDC

Are you wanting to run it from batteries, or solar for some reason?
..5W * 10000 hours = about 40p worth of mains electricity.

You might consider an ADSL USB modem.
Old May 25th 05, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
daveoman

It's for a cable modem installation (not DSL.) And I've only got a
limited power budget for the project.

Old May 25th 05, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On 25 May 2005 16:28:58 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

daveoman wrote:
minimum = 40mA @ 12VDC

Are you wanting to run it from batteries, or solar for some reason?

Might be at a site with only limited power access (I'd dearly love to
relocate my CM to the other side of the room, but htere's no power
socket there and an extension cable would look crap on the polished
wood floor), or maybe his landlord only lets him have one 13a socket
and he has a kettle, toaster, TV and microwave.

You might consider an ADSL USB modem.

er, he said cable....

.5W * 10000 hours = about 40p worth of mains electricity.

Did anyone consider POE? The modem presumably has an ethernet cable
going to it, this might be a possibility.

Old May 25th 05, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

wrote:

daveoman wrote:
minimum = 40mA @ 12VDC

Are you wanting to run it from batteries, or solar for some reason?

Might be at a site with only limited power access (I'd dearly love to
relocate my CM to the other side of the room, but htere's no power
socket there and an extension cable would look crap on the polished
wood floor), or maybe his landlord only lets him have one 13a socket
and he has a kettle, toaster, TV and microwave.

You can run lots of stuff off an extension.
I think the most items I've run off a plug was about 20.
One 4 way strip fused at 13A, into which plugged a 4 way strip fused at 10A
(kettle, toaster, microwave, only one at once). And a 3A fused strip, with
another plugged in, for a couple of lights, fan, computer, modem, chargers,
laptop, ...

You might consider an ADSL USB modem.

er, he said cable....

But, ADSL might be an alternative.

.5W * 10000 hours = about 40p worth of mains electricity.

Did anyone consider POE? The modem presumably has an ethernet cable
going to it, this might be a possibility.

Maybe.
It'd be helpful if the OP would actually say why he needs it, rather than
just what he believes he needs, as others might have suggestions that he
might not have thought of.ZZ
Old May 25th 05, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On 25 May 2005 21:02:06 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

You can run lots of stuff off an extension.

sure, and you can stand atop a hill in copper armour during a
thunderstorm, shouting "all the gods are bast*rds". Sensible, it is
not.

I think the most items I've run off a plug was about 20.
One 4 way strip fused at 13A, into which plugged a 4 way strip fused at 10A
(kettle, toaster, microwave, only one at once). And a 3A fused strip, with
another plugged in, for a couple of lights, fan, computer, modem, chargers,
laptop, ...

This is unbelievably dangerous. Sure, the cable in the wall is
probably rated at ~16 amps both sides of the ring (assuming you have
new wiring), but thats in free air and takes no account of cable
length losses, careless electricians, damage from rodents or building
work etc. You're simply asking for your house to catch fire. Don't do
such a foolish thing again.

er, he said cable....

But, ADSL might be an alternative.

So might carrier pigeons or paper aeroplanes, or just a BLOODY BIG
MEGAPHONE. Is is so hard to admit you misread the original post? :-)

It'd be helpful if the OP would actually say why he needs it, rather than
just what he believes he needs,

I agree. Its one of my pet bugbears, people asking a question that
they *think* is relevant, rather than just explaining what they're
actually trying to do.