giving one PC priority using Speedtouch 510

Old May 25th 05, 01:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,comp.dcom.xdsl,alt.comp.networking.routers
phil hunt

Default giving one PC priority using Speedtouch 510

I have an ADSL connection which is connected to a SpeedTouch 510
modem/router, which in turn is connected to three PCs.

What I want to do is set up my SpeedTouch so that packets to/from
one PC are given priority over packets to/from the other PCs.

From reading various information that I've Googled, and the
SpeedTouch CLI reference guide, I get the impression that the way to
do this is to edit the modem's user.ini configuration file, then use
the modem's web interface to upload the new configuration file into
the modem. (If this is not the case, please let me know).

Furthermore, I also get the impression that the sections of the
configuration file I need to edit are probably [qos.ini],
[ipqos.ini], and [label.ini].

My questions a

(1) what changes do I need to make to the config file to do what I
want?

(2) is there a guide anywhere which explains what the entries in the
config file mean? (I find the CLI reference guide less than useful,
because it doesn't explain any of the concepts, merely lists the
commands).

--
Email: zen19725 at zen dot co dot uk

Old May 25th 05, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,comp.dcom.xdsl,alt.comp.networking.routers
Moonshine

On Wed, 25 May 2005 00:39:34 +0100, (phil hunt)
wrote:

I have an ADSL connection which is connected to a SpeedTouch 510
modem/router, which in turn is connected to three PCs.

What I want to do is set up my SpeedTouch so that packets to/from
one PC are given priority over packets to/from the other PCs.

From reading various information that I've Googled, and the
SpeedTouch CLI reference guide, I get the impression that the way to
do this is to edit the modem's user.ini configuration file, then use
the modem's web interface to upload the new configuration file into
the modem. (If this is not the case, please let me know).

Furthermore, I also get the impression that the sections of the
configuration file I need to edit are probably [qos.ini],
[ipqos.ini], and [label.ini].

My questions a

(1) what changes do I need to make to the config file to do what I
want?

(2) is there a guide anywhere which explains what the entries in the
config file mean? (I find the CLI reference guide less than useful,
because it doesn't explain any of the concepts, merely lists the
commands).

Phil you will find all the answers you need concerning the 4.2.7 IPQoS
functionality of the SpeedTouch Routers on the SpeedTouch Partner web
site...

http://www.speedtouchpartner.com/enu2/index.php

The specific document can be found in the ST610 section...

http://www.speedtouchpartner.com/getfile.php?id=183

Note you can only control the priority in the UpStream direction.

Note also there is a difference in the IPQoS capabilities of the 500
(Residential) and 600 (Business) Routers. But you can do what you want
to do wit the ST510

There are specific example configurations in the document.

Let us know how you get on - I know there have been several people
intrested in this feature.

Old May 25th 05, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,comp.dcom.xdsl,alt.comp.networking.routers
phil hunt

On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:21:45 GMT, Moonshine wrote:

Phil you will find all the answers you need concerning the 4.2.7 IPQoS
functionality of the SpeedTouch Routers on the SpeedTouch Partner web
site...

http://www.speedtouchpartner.com/enu2/index.php

The specific document can be found in the ST610 section...

http://www.speedtouchpartner.com/getfile.php?id=183

Ah! I've heard of this document, but couldn't find it.

Note you can only control the priority in the UpStream direction.

That should be fine.

Note also there is a difference in the IPQoS capabilities of the 500
(Residential) and 600 (Business) Routers. But you can do what you want
to do wit the ST510

There are specific example configurations in the document.

What I'm trying to do looks very similar to Example 3.1...

I've not tried doing it yet, but the document looks promising.

--
Email: zen19725 at zen dot co dot uk