VPN performance

Old May 25th 05, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob S

Default VPN performance

Hi,

In practice how much difference will it make, performance wise, to setup a VPN
between two locations running ADSL from the same ISP, as opposed to different
ones, given speeds etc. are equal?

cheers

-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com
Old May 25th 05, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wireless Reader

Rob S wrote:
Hi,

In practice how much difference will it make, performance wise, to setup a VPN
between two locations running ADSL from the same ISP, as opposed to different
ones, given speeds etc. are equal?

We have both scenarios and they both work well of course. Ironically
one of the fastest links is between two sites using different ISP's -
this continues to surprise me a little but one possible explanation is
the different routers and firewalls at each site.
Old May 25th 05, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob S

On Wed, 25 May 2005 10:41:39 +0100, Wireless Reader
wrote:
-
-We have both scenarios and they both work well of course. Ironically
-one of the fastest links is between two sites using different ISP's -
-this continues to surprise me a little but one possible explanation is
-the different routers and firewalls at each site.

As a matter of interest do you find the VPNs more reliable with identical (makes
or models) routers at each end?

cheers

-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com
Old May 25th 05, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wireless Reader

wrote:
-
-We have both scenarios and they both work well of course. Ironically
-one of the fastest links is between two sites using different ISP's -
-this continues to surprise me a little but one possible explanation is
-the different routers and firewalls at each site.

As a matter of interest do you find the VPNs more reliable with identical (makes
or models) routers at each end?

I can't say that we do. In fact although we tend to use a smallish
range of different hardware - firmware levels are often different at
each site for various operational reasons.