BT light user scheme

Old May 25th 05, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R D S

Default BT light user scheme

Hi,
I barely use my home telephone and decided to return to the light user
scheme which reduces the line rental, the lighter the use the less you pay.
I was told by BT that now that I have broadband I cannot have this service.
(It doesn't matter whether you get broadband from them or not)
It seems they are paranoid about losing money from calls via internet
services.
Unfair methinks.

Rick

Old May 25th 05, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
phantom

"R D S" wrote in message
Hi,
I barely use my home telephone and decided to return to the light user
scheme which reduces the line rental, the lighter the use the less you

pay.
I was told by BT that now that I have broadband I cannot have this

service.
(It doesn't matter whether you get broadband from them or not)
It seems they are paranoid about losing money from calls via internet
services.
Unfair methinks.

You also cannot have the scheme if you own a mobile phone (although how they
check is beyond me)

Old May 25th 05, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 25 May 2005 14:25:30 +0100, "R D S" wrote:

It seems they are paranoid about losing money from calls via internet
services.
Unfair methinks.

this has been debated to death in the past, as Google will show you.
The light user scheme is some sort of social gesture to the hard up
and ADSL isn't provided on such lines. The line rental pays the
economic cost of the line, and call revenue pays for switching and
carrying calls.

The view has been taken that if you can afford ADSL and a computer you
aren't so hard up as to need the discounts of the LUS.

Phil
Old May 25th 05, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
§meagol

"R D S" wrote in message
Hi,
I barely use my home telephone and decided to return to the light user
scheme which reduces the line rental, the lighter the use the less you

pay.
I was told by BT that now that I have broadband I cannot have this

service.
(It doesn't matter whether you get broadband from them or not)
It seems they are paranoid about losing money from calls via internet
services.
Unfair methinks.

Rick

This has always been the case if you have access to the Internet whether it
is broadband or not. Just another scam by BT. As well as having to pay
full rental charges you are forced to subscribe to one of their calling
packages even if you use another telco for voice calls. I can't understand
why someone hasn't jumped on this before now. BT are overpriced, especially
for the low quality of service one now gets.
--
§meagol

Old May 25th 05, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 25 May 2005 14:40, Phil Thompson wrote:

The light user scheme is some sort of social gesture to the hard up

while the official line from OFTEL (some time ago, when asked) was that
it was for those whose use of telecomms was light, (with many of those who
are eligible, but not exclusively, those who are more elderly and for whom
incoming calls are more likely than outgoing,) which justified the various
exclusions (extra line(s) or mobile phone(s) to name but two).

The view has been taken that if you can afford ADSL and a computer you
aren't so hard up as to need the discounts of the LUS.

While there still appears to be the ability to use some 080x service for a
dial-up ISP (so long as no Surftime or other network prefix was needed) to
have heavy dial-up use, and still be eligible for LUS, by the rules if not
in the spirit of acceptable use... Peter M.

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old May 25th 05, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

This has always been the case if you have access to the Internet whether
it
is broadband or not. Just another scam by BT. As well as having to pay
full rental charges you are forced to subscribe to one of their calling
packages even if you use another telco for voice calls. I can't
understand
why someone hasn't jumped on this before now. BT are overpriced,
especially
for the low quality of service one now gets.

And exactly what is the supposed scam? Scam suggests some illegal or corrupt
behaviour by BT but this is not the case. The way BT's charging is
structured is very, very tightly regulated by OFCOM. Even if the Together
Option 1 Plan charge was abolished the basic line rental would almost
certainly rise so that the monthly charge would be the same net amount. In
any case the basic line has to be there for broadband to operate. The light
user scheme has laways been subsidised by BT and they actually lose money on
every line on the scheme.

Peter Crosland

Old May 25th 05, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith \(UK\)

"§meagol" wrote in message
snip
BT are overpriced, especially
for the low quality of service one now gets.
--
§meagol

BT are overpriced because they have to be, because they used to have the
monopoly. Same as British Gas not being allowed to sell gas cheaper than
anyone else, although they can do the "gas and electric deal" thing to get
business.

Bob

Old May 25th 05, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R D S

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 May 2005 14:25:30 +0100, "R D S" wrote:

It seems they are paranoid about losing money from calls via internet
services.
Unfair methinks.

this has been debated to death in the past, as Google will show you.
The light user scheme is some sort of social gesture to the hard up
and ADSL isn't provided on such lines. The line rental pays the
economic cost of the line, and call revenue pays for switching and
carrying calls.

The view has been taken that if you can afford ADSL and a computer you
aren't so hard up as to need the discounts of the LUS.

Phil

Sorry if its been done to death, thought it was worth posting as i knew
nothing of it and it would have to be considered an *extra* cost to somebody
already on the LUS and thinking of ADSL.

Old May 25th 05, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R D S

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
The light user scheme has laways been subsidised by BT and they actually

lose money on
every line on the scheme.

Peter Crosland

Stop it! My heart is starting to bleed for them!

Rick

Old May 25th 05, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 25 May 2005 16:22, "R D S" wrote:

Sorry if its been done to death, thought it was worth posting as i knew

It comes up mostly as a 'gripe' because it is possible to get cable with
no TV or phone service, just internet access, and the same is not true of
ADSL. For SDSL, I've seen it indicated that no voice traffic is carried,
and no filtering needed, as the line is dedicated to that use. With the
higher cost of SDSL, however, a tenner a month is not something those who
want SDSL will quibble about, unless they're really 'Mr Angry' types :-)

nothing of it and it would have to be considered an *extra* cost to
somebody already on the LUS and thinking of ADSL.

I can think of very few people who are likely to be on LUS and then want
ADSL. Given that using ADSL would open the way for (more reliable) VoIP
there might be less incentive to make voice calls, if one were on such a
low line rental anyway, and VoIP would give free/cheaper calls. If just
internet access is needed, then it may be possible to find some ISP with
an 0800 number, or even 080899, as last time I looked there was no block
on using the line for data, even if this fail outside the spirit of LUS,
as a 'low telecomms user' is implied by being eligible/requesting LUS.

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Can accept mail for your domain and apply filtering...
Point your MX record to mx.runbox.com and use POP/IMAP...