One Tel Broadband questions

Old May 25th 05, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Buckley

Default One Tel Broadband questions

I am thinking of leaving my broadband supplier (NTL) for a package supplied
by OneTel. I have a few questions, if anyone can help. (cant find the
answers on OneTels web site)

1. Does Onetel support multiple computers?
2. I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 Ver4 broadband router, will this work with
OneTels ADSL service?
3. What type of modem do the supply (USB or Ethernet)?
4. Finally, Whats the service like?

Old May 25th 05, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 25 May 2005 19:51 GMT, "Steve Buckley" wrote:

1. Does Onetel support multiple computers?

perhaps not officially, but with a router, they're unlikely to know/care
and only if there's a support issue would that question arise, I guess.

2. I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 Ver4 broadband router, will this work with
OneTels ADSL service?

Seems unlikely. It has no ADSL modem in it, I assume, just WAN socket ?

3. What type of modem do the supply (USB or Ethernet)?

Probably the former - most ISPs offer a USB unit... 10-20 quid I guess,
in the numbers they could buy.

I take it you've already tried http://groups.google.com/ and
www.ADSLguide.org (not saying either has answers, but worth checking).

Also try looking back to the 22/05 as there's already a thread, Subject
" telephone-broadband-linerental question" and another thread just
started today about One.Tel and combined phone/ADSL service. Peter M.

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old May 26th 05, 03:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

1. Any ADSL connection can support multiple computers, you just need ADSL
modem combined with (or separate) router.
2. I think you need a ADSL modem, like D-Link -300T, twixt the ADSL line and
your router.
3. Don't know, USB modem would be no good to you (one computer only),
usually it's better to get your own kit.
4. NOT GOOD - their customer service has gone to pot since they were taken
over by Centrica.
They internet service isn't very good, their mail servers are unreliable and
the news server was pretty useless (I haven't used it for long time now).
If you go with OneTel line rental they will put you on CPS and prevent you
from using cheap call providers like 1899 and 18866.

You can do better with separate deals, like Plus.Net 2Mb/s broadband for
just £14.99 p.m. , no limit on the 'Plus' option, no up front activation
charge.
(please use my ID 'wester' as a referrer if you sign up with them, thanks)
and don't forget you can use your broadband connection for VoIP cheap or
free phone calls,
effectively giving you another line.
Regards,
Martin
(Happy Plus.Net customer, still using OneTel, but only for free eve &
weekend calls.)

Old May 26th 05, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Martin² wrote:

4. NOT GOOD - their customer service has gone to pot since they were taken
over by Centrica.
They internet service isn't very good, their mail servers are unreliable and
the news server was pretty useless (I haven't used it for long time now).

I agree, I use them for dial-up back up, and their mailbox as a Usenet spam trap,
it's so unreliable that's all it's good for.

If you go with OneTel line rental they will put you on CPS and prevent you
from using cheap call providers like 1899 and 18866.

Not true. I'm on OneTel CPS, and I route all my calls (except weekend 01/02*) via
other carriers, including 1899 and 18866. My OneTel phone bill has been zero for
quite some time now :-)

--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply
Old May 26th 05, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

See below.

"Steve Buckley" wrote in message
I am thinking of leaving my broadband supplier (NTL) for a package

supplied
by OneTel. I have a few questions, if anyone can help. (cant find the
answers on OneTels web site)

1. Does Onetel support multiple computers?

With a suitable router, e.g. Netgear DG384G, yes. Doubt it's official
though and uses a NAT so don't expect to run multiple mail servers etc.
without some work.

2. I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 Ver4 broadband router, will this work with
OneTels ADSL service?

See other posters.

3. What type of modem do the supply (USB or Ethernet)?

I was given a Speedtouch USB modem which is somewhere in the back of a
cupboard.

4. Finally, Whats the service like?

What service? Telephone support is outsourced to India mainly and they seem
to be reading the website (which you'll have read first anyway). Their
e-mail servers/network gets very busy around 18:00BST and I've had trouble
with some e-mail failing to arrive, presumably because TCP/IP connections
from other mail servers time out during these times.

Bottom line? I wanted cheap phone calls, ADSL and calls to the US so was
looking for a package and they were cheapest at the time. Currently I get
all 3 although if I could find a better provider for the same price I would.
Pity because I originally had just their US calls service and it was
perfectly adequate.

Paul DS.

Old May 26th 05, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 26 May 2005 09:07, "Paul D.Smith" wrote:

Bottom line? I wanted cheap phone calls, ADSL and calls to the US so was
looking for a package and they were cheapest at the time. Currently I get
all 3 although if I could find a better provider for the same price I would.

I've used 18866 and more recently 1899 for calls to the USA, without
problems, and at low cost. Ignoring the VoIP facility of 1899.com, I
wonder how those would compare, with no monthly fee but per call fees (of
low amounts). You might be 'locked' into a 12 month contract right now,
but as someone else has indicated they use 1899 while still having the
One.Tel CPS facility, you are not blocked from trying it... would allow
a switch of ISP at a later time, perhaps, but of course the BT line rental
cost is another matter :-( Peter M.

Old May 26th 05, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Mark Carver:
Martin² wrote:

4. NOT GOOD - their customer service has gone to pot since they were
taken over by Centrica.
They internet service isn't very good, their mail servers are
unreliable and the news server was pretty useless (I haven't used it
for long time now).

I agree, I use them for dial-up back up, and their mailbox as a
Usenet spam trap, it's so unreliable that's all it's good for.

If you go with OneTel line rental they will put you on CPS and
prevent you from using cheap call providers like 1899 and 18866.

Not true. I'm on OneTel CPS, and I route all my calls (except weekend
01/02*) via other carriers, including 1899 and 18866. My OneTel phone
bill has been zero for quite some time now :-)

If your line rental is being paid to BT and CPS OneTel then 1899 and 18866
will be fine, however the statement is true if you also have your line rental
to OneTel - you may save 50p on the line rental, but you will then be
prevented from using 18866 and 1899.

For Free £10 credit when you get referred to TalkTalk or £5 when referred to
easyMobile contact me via above site.