How to use Vigor 2600vg with fixed IP address?

Old May 25th 05, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Perry

Default How to use Vigor 2600vg with fixed IP address?

At the moment I am using a spare PC and software as an Internet router
but it is getting old and a bit unreliable, and I am trying to replace
it with a Vigor2600VG.

My network all has fixed IP address in the 192.168.0.xxx range. While I
have managed to configure the Vigor to use a fixed IP address, I cannot
control it via the web interface unless the DHCP server is running (and
I don't want or need that), and I can't access the Internet through it
either on any machine unless the PC is using the DHCP server of the
Vigor to pick up an IP address.

Has anyone seen a write up or know how to configure this beast in a
static IP environment?

Thanks
--
SPAM (delete NOSPAM)
www.redoak.co.uk www.eze-buy.co.uk
Old May 26th 05, 12:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"John Perry" wrote in message
At the moment I am using a spare PC and software as an Internet router
but it is getting old and a bit unreliable, and I am trying to replace
it with a Vigor2600VG.

My network all has fixed IP address in the 192.168.0.xxx range. While I
have managed to configure the Vigor to use a fixed IP address, I cannot
control it via the web interface unless the DHCP server is running (and
I don't want or need that), and I can't access the Internet through it
either on any machine unless the PC is using the DHCP server of the
Vigor to pick up an IP address.

Has anyone seen a write up or know how to configure this beast in a
static IP environment?

It sounds as if when you are setting the static addreses of the PCs you are
not setting the default gateway or/and DNS server address.
The router address would be both of these normally as it will forward DNS
requests and It will obviously be the gateway.
First thing to do would be turn off the DHCP server on the router then setup
the PC and do an ipconfig and check all looks correct then check you can
ping the gateway then a site address www.google.com for example. And see
what you get.
Ian

Old May 26th 05, 08:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wireless Reader

John Perry wrote:
At the moment I am using a spare PC and software as an Internet router
but it is getting old and a bit unreliable, and I am trying to replace
it with a Vigor2600VG.

My network all has fixed IP address in the 192.168.0.xxx range. While I
have managed to configure the Vigor to use a fixed IP address, I cannot
control it via the web interface unless the DHCP server is running (and
I don't want or need that), and I can't access the Internet through it
either on any machine unless the PC is using the DHCP server of the
Vigor to pick up an IP address.

Has anyone seen a write up or know how to configure this beast in a
static IP environment?

By default the Vigor has an IP address of 192.168.1.1 and the built in
DHCP server offers addresses from 192.168.1.10.

Have you changed the Vigor IP address to match your LAN (192.168.0.x)?
Old May 26th 05, 08:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dj Toonz

"Wireless Reader" wrote in message
John Perry wrote:
At the moment I am using a spare PC and software as an Internet router
but it is getting old and a bit unreliable, and I am trying to replace
it with a Vigor2600VG.

My network all has fixed IP address in the 192.168.0.xxx range. While I
have managed to configure the Vigor to use a fixed IP address, I cannot
control it via the web interface unless the DHCP server is running (and
I don't want or need that), and I can't access the Internet through it
either on any machine unless the PC is using the DHCP server of the
Vigor to pick up an IP address.

Has anyone seen a write up or know how to configure this beast in a
static IP environment?

By default the Vigor has an IP address of 192.168.1.1 and the built in
DHCP server offers addresses from 192.168.1.10.

Have you changed the Vigor IP address to match your LAN (192.168.0.x)?

i've got a differnt router to you but the same things might be the same as
how i set my wireless router up in a static ip environment up is doing it
this way

i went into the routers config settings and disabled the DHCP server then
set up the lan card's to get a static ip address 192.168.x.2 upto
192.168.x.6 as i've got 3 pc's and a Ps2 using the router , added
255.255.255.0 to the subnet and addedd the router's ip address to the
default gateway for example 192.168.x.1 or whatever it says is the ip
address , then added the routers ip address to the dafault DNS address so
for example 192.168.x.1 (dont use the WAN ip address for the routers ip
address the WAN is the ip you get from your ISP) hope that helps, that's how
i set mine up

Old May 26th 05, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

John Perry wrote:
At the moment I am using a spare PC and software as an Internet router
but it is getting old and a bit unreliable, and I am trying to replace
it with a Vigor2600VG.

My network all has fixed IP address in the 192.168.0.xxx range. While I
have managed to configure the Vigor to use a fixed IP address, I cannot
control it via the web interface unless the DHCP server is running (and
I don't want or need that), and I can't access the Internet through it
either on any machine unless the PC is using the DHCP server of the
Vigor to pick up an IP address.

Has anyone seen a write up or know how to configure this beast in a
static IP environment?

Obvious question, is the router on the same subnet? Your PCs are on
the 192.168.0.xxx subnet, maybe the router is in 192.168.1.xxx, it's
quite a common default. If my surmise is right it would explain your
symptoms.

--
Chris Green
Old May 26th 05, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Perry

"Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk wrote:

"John Perry" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I think you are on the right lines but my problem is how to set the
router IP address and dns server. The PC I used as the router had IP
address 192.168.0.100 and all the other kit on my lan has that IP
address as the Gateway and DNS server address. All kit has IP address
from 192.168.0.1 to 192,168.0.255

Router Ethernet RCP/IP and DHCP Setup is:

LAN IP Network Configuration
For NAT Usage
1st IP address 192.168.0.1
1St Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
For IP Routing Usage
disable clicked
RIP Protocol Control - Disable

DHCP Server Configuration
Disable server selected
DNS Server IP Configuration
Primary IP address 192.168.0.100

I am controlling the router through http://192.168.0.1

pinging 192.168.0.1 gives response
pinging 192.168.0.100 and www.google.com give no response

....at the mo, I'm using the PC and not the router :-(

Thanks

Old May 26th 05, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Perry

John Perry wrote:
[...]

Hmmm.... I'm beginning to think the router MUST be set as 192.168.0.1
and that must be the gateway. ie router IP address must be the lowest.

I hope that's not the case as I would have a load of PCs and printers
to reconfigure :-(.

Old May 26th 05, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JA

John Perry wrote:

[...]

Given that your PCs are on 192.168.0.xxx and are already set up to use
192.169.0.100 as gateway and DNS, the easiest thing to do is to set the
router IP to 192.168.0.100 ("1st IP Address" in "LAN IP Network
Configuration"). You'll have to change the IP of the PC previously used
as router to something else. You'll also have to change the "Start IP
address" in "LAN IP Network Configuration" to something different, or it
will clash with the router IP. You can disable the DHCP Server on the
router if you don't need it.
--
John Appleyard
Old May 26th 05, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Jones

Hmmm.... I'm beginning to think the router MUST be set as 192.168.0.1
and that must be the gateway. ie router IP address must be the lowest.

I hope that's not the case as I would have a load of PCs and printers
to reconfigure :-(.

No, the router can be any address within the correct subnet for your
network. I've got mine set to 192.168.99.254 for example.

Ian