Belkin,Draytek or Netgear for DSL?

Old May 26th 05, 07:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dj_jammy

Default Belkin,Draytek or Netgear for DSL?

Hi All (I'm a newbie so go easy on me)

I'm about to get ADSL but I've gone for wires only service with Pipe
and I need some advice on DSL/Wireless routers.

I've been looking at three possible setups I've found fro
www.Transparent.uk.com (anyone ever bought from them on here?)

Netgear DG834GT, WG511T & WG111T Bundle for £133 (with VAT)
DrayTek V2600G & V540 Laptop Card Bundle for £177 (with VAT)
Belkin F5D7633 & F5D7011 Laptop Card Bundle £71.50 (with VAT)

Now I've heard a lot of good stuff about Draytek but why are they mor
expensive than Netgear and Belkin? Also what features are reall
necassary on a day to day basis?

Can anyone recommend if these prices or kit are anygood.

Cheers

James
The happy wandere

--
dj_jammy
Old May 26th 05, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

" Now I've heard a lot of good stuff about Draytek but why are they more
expensive than Netgear and Belkin? Also what features are really
necassary on a day to day basis?

Can anyone recommend if these prices or kit are anygood.

Draytek are solid, reliable and just work out of the box. IMHO they are the
best at the consumer level. My 2600 has now run for 14 months non stop.

Peter Crosland

Old May 26th 05, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MM

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
" Now I've heard a lot of good stuff about Draytek but why are they more
expensive than Netgear and Belkin? Also what features are really
necassary on a day to day basis?

Can anyone recommend if these prices or kit are anygood.

Draytek are solid, reliable and just work out of the box. IMHO they are
the best at the consumer level. My 2600 has now run for 14 months non
stop.

Peter Crosland

Draytek are a lot smaller (by volume) manufacturer so their products are
more expensive...they also have some 'higher-end' features

I use a Netgear DG834G - it only goes down when I change something - had it
about 15 months now and very pleased with it. They are 54Mbps wireless
rather than 108Mbps...but unless you intend to do huge file transfers
between machines tehn I wouldnt bother with 108Mbps proprietary
solutions...you should be able to get a DG834G + 54Mbps adaptor for under
£80

Old May 26th 05, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Perry

"Peter Crosland" wrote:

" Now I've heard a lot of good stuff about Draytek but why are they more
expensive than Netgear and Belkin? Also what features are really
necassary on a day to day basis?

Can anyone recommend if these prices or kit are anygood.

Draytek are solid, reliable and just work out of the box. IMHO they are the
best at the consumer level. My 2600 has now run for 14 months non stop.

I have set up a few Belkins and they are cheap and good. The Draytek
(which I am struggling to set up in a static IP environment) has a lot
of high end features. If you want the features, go for the Draytek, if
you just want a basic good router go for the Belkin. I'd stay clear of
the 3Com ones, I had 3 failures of same model in 9 months.
--
SPAM (delete NOSPAM)
www.redoak.co.uk www.eze-buy.co.uk
Old May 27th 05, 01:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

If you want peace of mind and rock solid performance, get the Draytek, but I
would suggest you get the 2600VG, cheap VoIP calls will help ease the pain
of the price.
Check out Davoom.com, they are flexible on prices (and were selling new
units on Ebay).

Sadly I can' recommend the Draytek's PC Card and / or USB adaptors, I found
that Orinoco and D-Link have much better reception, (I don't believe Draytek
makes them themselves).

Belkin is cheap and mostly OK, but you may want to consider their 'Pre-N'
version even though is doesn't have built in ADSL modem.

If you are masochist and enjoy forever updating firmware and battling with
non existent
support - get the Netgear.
Regards,
Martin
(Netgear didn't work and after a weeks tearing my hair out I returned it,
got Draytek 2600We which hasn't missed a single bit in over two years, and
now bought 2600VGi as well.)

Old May 27th 05, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

"Martin?" wrote:

: If you are masochist and enjoy forever updating firmware and battling with
: non existent
: support - get the Netgear.

Or alternatively if you want rock-solid+excellent performance get the Netgear!

This "Martin" guy is tiresome about them - he cannot accept that 99% of
people don't have the problems he had!
Old May 27th 05, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Nelson

In article ,
"Martin²" writes:
If you are masochist and enjoy forever updating firmware and battling with
non existent support - get the Netgear.

With the caveat that you have to get to DG834G firmware version 1.05.00, I
respectfully disagree. Mine hasn't `skipped a bit' in several thousand hours
of operation since the 1.05.00 update, and as a result I can't comment on
the existence status of its support.
--
SAm.
Old May 27th 05, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MM

"Brian McIlwrath" wrote in message
"Martin?" wrote:

: If you are masochist and enjoy forever updating firmware and battling
with
: non existent
: support - get the Netgear.

Or alternatively if you want rock-solid+excellent performance get the
Netgear!

This "Martin" guy is tiresome about them - he cannot accept that 99% of
people don't have the problems he had!

Ding ! ROFLMAO - ignore Martin - hes a Draytek salesman that goes around all
the forums slating the competition (sales must be really down) and the
last time he owned a Netgear was over 2 years ago.....