BT Broadband login details

Old May 26th 05, 12:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes

Default BT Broadband login details

Hi,

I will be installing an ADSL router at the home of an elderly gentlemen
whose PC I recently rescued from 666 kinds of spyware, malware and
assorted viruses. (Via the Zap-it-and-start-again method. It's now
XP-SP2'd, firewalled, anti-virus'ed, thunderbird'ed, de-outlook'ed and
the grandkids account is denied access to pretty much everything).

The customer is barely clued about email, but has no idea what his
connection details are.

I managed to restore broadband connection going with BT Broadband, by
feeding into the automated registration stuff his telephone number and
other details that he knew.

Nowhere in this was the usual ADSL connection blah of VPI 0, VCI 38,
Username in Password mumble

He does have an email address of

(might be btopenworld.com, I forget), and a password that worked with
the POP3 server.

My question therefore is: How do I get ADSL connection information for
this guy? If he ever had a letter with those details in from BT he's
lost it, but I suspect, given the user-freindlyness (and
tech-unfriendlyness) of the BT USB modem installation (which asked me to
disable the firewall, advice which I ignored) that no such letter exists.

The VCI/VPI are easy enough, but I need to know what the rest of the
connection information looks like (and if the POP3 password is likely to
be the connection password). DNS servers would also be rather useful
information that I can't find on BT Openworld's site.

Regards,
Jim
Old May 26th 05, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Jim Howes writes:
Nowhere in this was the usual ADSL connection blah of VPI 0, VCI 38,
Username in Password mumble

He does have an email address of

(might be btopenworld.com, I forget), and a password that worked with
the POP3 server.

My question therefore is: How do I get ADSL connection information for
this guy? If he ever had a letter with those details in from BT he's
lost it, but I suspect, given the user-freindlyness (and
tech-unfriendlyness) of the BT USB modem installation (which asked me to
disable the firewall, advice which I ignored) that no such letter exists.

The VCI/VPI are easy enough, but I need to know what the rest of the
connection information looks like (and if the POP3 password is likely to
be the connection password). DNS servers would also be rather useful
information that I can't find on BT Openworld's site.

I don't have my information to hand, but I think the connection
password was the same as the POP3 password. However, the
connection username was completely different from the POP3
username.

Is there any chance the router has remembered it? I entered mine
into my BT supplied router once when it arrived, and it never
needed it again in some ~3 years and probably a few power cuts.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old May 26th 05, 03:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Is there any chance the router has remembered it? I entered mine
into my BT supplied router once when it arrived, and it never
needed it again in some ~3 years and probably a few power cuts.

Unlikely, as he does not yet have a router. I was looking at a Dlink
DSL504T or similar. The main reason is that his son (40+) has a laptop
with ethernet, and spends some time around there. Internet connection
sharing isn't an option from the currently USB-connected (something
non-alcatel) machine, mainly for aesthetic reasons. Plus, the son likes
the idea of not exposing either system to the internet directly.
Despite NAT not being a firewall, it is close enough for his purposes.

I'll have a dig through the registry on his machine for likely
candidates for ATM user names.

Jim
Old May 26th 05, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NBT

Jim Howes wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Is there any chance the router has remembered it? I entered mine
into my BT supplied router once when it arrived, and it never
needed it again in some ~3 years and probably a few power cuts.

Unlikely, as he does not yet have a router. I was looking at a Dlink
DSL504T or similar. The main reason is that his son (40+) has a laptop
with ethernet, and spends some time around there. Internet connection
sharing isn't an option from the currently USB-connected (something
non-alcatel) machine, mainly for aesthetic reasons. Plus, the son likes
the idea of not exposing either system to the internet directly.
Despite NAT not being a firewall, it is close enough for his purposes.

I'll have a dig through the registry on his machine for likely
candidates for ATM user names.

Jim

Username
Password normally not needed
BT will provide the DNS automatically

I got a booklet and CD with the original USB Modem.The reason for
disabling AV and Firewall when installing usb drivers is that it can
cause conflicts with ikernel.
Old May 26th 05, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 26 May 2005 12:53:27 +0100, Peter M
wrote:

How those details get to the servers
I know not,

a phone line is wired to an ADSL port so there's no doubt about who it
is that is logging in, same rationale as not being able to use more
than one ISP on a line.

Phil
Old May 26th 05, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

"NBT" wrote in message
Jim Howes wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

[...]