Fax to e mail

Old May 27th 05, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J B

Default Fax to e mail

Slightly OT, but getting broadband so ditching the fax line and on
recommendation of the good folks here I've chosen an 0870 486 XXXX fax to e
mail number from http://www.inweb.co.uk/
They say it will work from abroad, but my sister in Italy tried it and got
the engaged tone after dialling 00 44 870.

Inweb say it "should work".

Anyone any experience to prove yay or nay??

--

J B

Old May 27th 05, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"J B" wrote in message
Slightly OT, but getting broadband so ditching the fax line and on
recommendation of the good folks here I've chosen an 0870 486 XXXX fax to
e mail number from http://www.inweb.co.uk/
They say it will work from abroad, but my sister in Italy tried it and got
the engaged tone after dialling 00 44 870.

Inweb say it "should work".

Anyone any experience to prove yay or nay??

Can non-geographic numbers like 0800, 0845 and 0870 be dialled from outside
the UK? I don't think they can.

Old May 27th 05, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
J B

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message

Can non-geographic numbers like 0800, 0845 and 0870 be dialled from
outside the UK? I don't think they can.

That's my question, but I was hoping for a more 'positive' answer. :-))

Maybe I'll X-post this reply to uk.telecom.

--

J B

Old May 27th 05, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 27 May 2005 10:56, "J B" wrote:

They say it will work from abroad, but my sister in Italy tried it and got
the engaged tone after dialling 00 44 870.

Inweb say it "should work".

Anyone any experience to prove yay or nay??

Might get more telephony comments (after all, the 0870 is the issue, when a
call is made from abroad) and possibly a suggestion as to which carrier to
use from Italy, which can handle route to UK 0870 numbers, if you ask in
uk.telecom

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old May 27th 05, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Brian A

On Fri, 27 May 2005 11:40:00 +0100, "J B" wrote:

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message

Can non-geographic numbers like 0800, 0845 and 0870 be dialled from
outside the UK? I don't think they can.

That's my question, but I was hoping for a more 'positive' answer. :-))

Maybe I'll X-post this reply to uk.telecom.

If you had to answer yes or no to this then from my experience I would
say 'YES' as far as 0870 is concerned - don't know about the rest.
However, to give a more lengthy answer....Yes, but only from some
countries.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old May 27th 05, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Wireless Reader

J B wrote:
"Martin Underwood" wrote in message

Can non-geographic numbers like 0800, 0845 and 0870 be dialled from
outside the UK? I don't think they can.

That's my question, but I was hoping for a more 'positive' answer. :-))

Maybe I'll X-post this reply to uk.telecom.

Generally you can dial 870/845 from abroad. 800/808 numbers are only
reached from specific overseas operators (the only example I know, which
worked last week was calling UK 0800 numbers from Telefonica (in Spain)
and they are totally free.
Old May 27th 05, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Chris Blunt

On Fri, 27 May 2005 11:40:00 +0100, "J B" wrote:

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message

Can non-geographic numbers like 0800, 0845 and 0870 be dialled from
outside the UK? I don't think they can.

That's my question, but I was hoping for a more 'positive' answer. :-))

Some of those type of numbers can be dialled from some countries,
others can't. Unfortunately, there's no simple answer to the question.

Chris

Old May 27th 05, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J B

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
In uk.telecom.broadband, J B wrote:

I've chosen an 0870 486 XXXX fax to e
mail number from http://www.inweb.co.uk/

Can't see that service on their site, can you point me?

http://www.inweb.co.uk/product_pages...ng_service.htm

--

J B

Old May 27th 05, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[L.]

On Fri, 27 May 2005 10:56:13 +0100, "J B" wrote:

Slightly OT, but getting broadband so ditching the fax line and on
recommendation of the good folks here I've chosen an 0870 486 XXXX fax to e
mail number from http://www.inweb.co.uk/
They say it will work from abroad, but my sister in Italy tried it and got
the engaged tone after dialling 00 44 870.

Inweb say it "should work".

Anyone any experience to prove yay or nay??

Works for me from Spain, Italy and Belgium.

For your sister, you might want to use
http://www.messagenet.it/fax/freefax/

3 free fax a month (it used to be unlimited at one time. O tempora...)

HIH

L.
Old May 27th 05, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Linus Surguy

"J B" wrote:

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message

Can non-geographic numbers like 0800, 0845 and 0870 be dialled from
outside the UK? I don't think they can.

0870 generally so from the main operators, 0845 from some, similar 0800. 0800
will not [or at least very unlikely to be] be free if it works. Coverage is less
good from the second-tier and budget operators in each country.

Linus

www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.5p/1.5/1p South Africa 6p US,France,Germany,Eire 2.5p
Looking for VoIP ? We're the largest wholesale numbering supplier in the UK!