Pipex broadband Error 0680

Old May 27th 05, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
brianfromenfield

Default Pipex broadband Error 0680

This code means "There is no dial tone". However, my problem is a bit
different from other postings I've found on Google in that it always
connects and works fine when the PC is freshly booted but will not
connect only after a while, say one hour, offline. The SpeedTouch 330
modem stays lit (not flashing). A mystery to me (and the Pipex
helpline) but can anyone save me from doing Ctrl/Alt/Del in this
situation please?

Old May 28th 05, 01:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"brianfromenfield" wrote in message
oups.com...
This code means "There is no dial tone". However, my problem is a bit
different from other postings I've found on Google in that it always
connects and works fine when the PC is freshly booted but will not
connect only after a while, say one hour, offline. The SpeedTouch 330
modem stays lit (not flashing). A mystery to me (and the Pipex
helpline) but can anyone save me from doing Ctrl/Alt/Del in this
situation please?

You don't mention what OS or hardware you are using.

Why not just connect when the PC boots and then stay connected,

Alternatively get a router.

--

Michael Chare

Old May 28th 05, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
brianfromenfield

I'm using W98 and a Gateway PC with 128Mb RAM. Thanks for suggestions -
I'm unkeen to stay online for hours when I'm not active because of
increased exposure to viruses.

Old May 28th 05, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 28 May 2005 04:01, "brianfromenfield" wrote:

Michael Chare wrote:

You don't mention what OS or hardware you are using.

Why not just connect when the PC boots and then stay connected,

Alternatively get a router.

I'm using W98 and a Gateway PC with 128Mb RAM. Thanks for suggestions -
I'm unkeen to stay online for hours when I'm not active because of
increased exposure to viruses.

The majority of routers use NAT (Network Address Translation) and block the
majority of (if not all) incoming unsolicited traffic (ie something trying
to send data to you when you didn't request it).

Michael's final suggestion was about using a router - it would stay online
and connected while your PC is off, and with an inexpensive ethernet card
you'd have pretty much 'instant' access once booted (no logging in to do
as the router handles that, once you've used the web-page setup to give
the router your username/password details and saved them in it). Peter

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.
Old May 30th 05, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"brianfromenfield" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm using W98 and a Gateway PC with 128Mb RAM. Thanks for suggestions -
I'm unkeen to stay online for hours when I'm not active because of
increased exposure to viruses.

Is it a Pentium II machine by any chance? If so you may be encountering a USB
hardware problem.

--

Michael Chare

Old May 31st 05, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
brianfromenfield

Sorry, no. It's a Celeron GP6-433 MHz vintage 2000. I fear I may end
up having to get a new machine with Windows XP.

Old June 1st 05, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"brianfromenfield" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sorry, no. It's a Celeron GP6-433 MHz vintage 2000. I fear I may end
up having to get a new machine with Windows XP.

Getting a router would be a far cheaper option. If you don't want wireless
you can pick up a four port router for around 40-50 quid.

Old June 2nd 05, 02:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Dave" wrote in message

"brianfromenfield" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sorry, no. It's a Celeron GP6-433 MHz vintage 2000. I fear I may end
up having to get a new machine with Windows XP.

Getting a router would be a far cheaper option. If you don't want wireless
you can pick up a four port router for around 40-50 quid.

They can also provide quite a bit of security.

--

Michael Chare