Problem with Zoom X4 and BT Broadband Basic

Old May 27th 05, 11:21 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk.btinternet,uk.telecom.broadband
simon

Default Problem with Zoom X4 and BT Broadband Basic

Hello -

I'm having problems getting Zoom X4 router to work with BT Broadband Basic.
It seems that data can flow out but not in again. When I starting pinging
against an external server, the pings timeout. I know this server responds
to pings when accessed over dialup. I can see the Zoom's Tx ATM byte counter
rising, but the Rx ATM counter stays static.

I'm fairly sure that the ADSL link is being created, because the Zoom system
log says something like:
01/01/1970 00:00:44 PPP1 Session is up.
01/01/1970 00:00:44 DNS: Add IP address 194.72.9.38 (Auto discovered)
01/01/1970 00:00:44 DNS: Add IP address 194.74.65.68 (Auto discovered)
01/01/1970 00:00:43 No Static Session Information is...

The line quality figures are as follows. Should I be worried?
Item Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 6.5 31.0 dB
Line Attenuation 36.6 28.0 dB
Errored Seconds 2 0
Loss of Signal 0 0
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 2 0
Data Rate 2272 288 kbps
Latency FAST FAST

Has anyone else managed to get a Zoom X4 working with BT Broadband basic?

Thanks,

Simon

Old May 27th 05, 11:57 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk.btinternet,uk.telecom.broadband
simon

"simon" wrote in message
[...]

To add some more information to my own post - when the Zoom X4 runs its own
diagnostics, it can ping the default gateway, but not the primary BT DNS.
Very strange - has anyone seen this sort of thing before?

Diagnostic Test

Test In Progress

Checking LAN Connection
Testing Ethernet LAN connection PASS HELP
Checking ADSL Connection
Testing ADSL Synchronization PASS HELP
Checking Circuit 0 for Network Connection
Test ATM OAM Segment Loop Back PASS HELP
Test ATM OAM End-to-End Loop Back PASS HELP
Test Ethernet connect to ATM PASS HELP
Test PPPoPvc 0 PPPOE connection UNKNOWN HELP
Test PPPoPvc 0 PPP layer connection PASS HELP
Test PPPoPvc 0 IP connect to PPP PASS HELP
Testing Internet Connection
Ping default gateway 217.47.112.58 PASS HELP
Ping primary DNS 194.74.65.68 FAIL HELP

Old May 28th 05, 12:13 AM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk.btinternet,uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"simon" wrote in news:d78537$6ut$1$8302bc10
@news.demon.co.uk:

Very strange - has anyone seen this sort of thing before?

Yes on PlusNet.
We set up a client with and account, and when they connected they could
only get to systems locally to the gateway. What had happened was that the
IP address allocated had previously been allocated to someone else.
This other customer had been allocated an IP block and had the IP removed
from their account *but* they had not disconnected since the change was
made.
The result is that they were still using the IP address and when our client
tried to connect there were lovely routing anomalies.

It may not be anything like what is happening to you though.

I can see the Zoom's Tx ATM byte counter
rising, but the Rx ATM counter stays static.

That doesn't mean anything. It is recording attempted transmits but without
receiving anything it has no way of knowing if those transmits actually got
anywhere.

If you traceroute, where do you get to? If it gets out of the exchange to
the ISPs gateways then you know where the problem is.

--
Colin
Old May 28th 05, 12:21 AM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk.btinternet,uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 27 May 2005 22:21:41 +0100, "simon"
wrote:

The line quality figures are as follows. Should I be worried?
Item Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 6.5 31.0 dB
Line Attenuation 36.6 28.0 dB

yes you are right on the cliff edge for 2M it may not be reliable at
SNR Margin of 6.

Having said that, 6 is crap for a 37 dB attenuation so you need to
sort out your wiring and interference issues. Try plugging it into
the test socket shown at
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm#part3 and restarting
it. See if the SNR imporves if it does then use a faceplate filter.

The DNS server issue - can you ping the DNS server ? I saw some
postings to day with people who could access sites via BT Broadband
using the IP addresss but not the URL.

How long have you had this setup ?

Phil

Old May 28th 05, 12:45 AM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk.btinternet,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 27 May 2005 22:57, "simon" wrote:

it can ping the default gateway, but not the primary BT DNS.
Very strange - has anyone seen this sort of thing before?

Ping default gateway 217.47.112.58 PASS HELP
Ping primary DNS 194.74.65.68 FAIL HELP

Not all servers will respond to ping anyway... I get timeout for the
DNS (but not using the same ISP, so that's no guarantee it blocks all
attempts, but many other servers do respond). Peter M.

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.
Old May 28th 05, 12:57 AM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk.btinternet,uk.telecom.broadband
simon

"cw" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks to those who have replied. I've only had the connection for about 6
hours. I've just disconnected some suspect extension wiring, and the noise
figures now look much more healthy. Unfortunately I still can't ping beyond
the default gateway. Here are the tracert outputs:
tracert 217.47.112.58 {default gateway}
Tracing route to 217.47.112.58 over a maximum of 30 hops
1 * * * Request timed out.
2 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms 217.47.112.58
Trace complete.

tracert 194.74.65.68 {primary DNS)
Tracing route to 194.74.65.68 over a maximum of 30 hops
1 * * * Request timed out.
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.
Trace complete.

Old May 28th 05, 01:18 AM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk.btinternet,uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 27 May 2005 23:57:15 +0100, "simon"
wrote:

Unfortunately I still can't ping beyond
the default gateway.

have you been told the account is live or just noticed an ADSL signal
and giving it a try - maybe its not setup yet ?

the DNS server is alive, note how I get a name for it...
C:\Documents and Settings\Phil.XP2100tracert 194.74.65.68

Tracing route to ns6.bt.net [194.74.65.68]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 24 ms 25 ms 23 ms thus6-hg2.kingston.broadband.bt.net
[217.41.134.
73]
3 24 ms 25 ms 25 ms 217.41.134.2
4 26 ms 25 ms 27 ms 217.41.134.110
5 27 ms 27 ms 27 ms
park-inside-1-g3-0-0-s193.router.demon.net [194.
159.246.66]
6 28 ms 27 ms 27 ms
anchor-border-1-g4-0-0.router.demon.net [194.70.
98.30]
7 26 ms 27 ms 27 ms linx3.ukcore.bt.net [195.66.224.11]
8 28 ms 25 ms 27 ms core1-pos14-1.ilford.ukcore.bt.net
[194.74.65.24
9]
9 28 ms 27 ms 27 ms vhsaccess1-pos9-0.ilford.fixed.bt.net
[194.74.77
..254]
10 * *

do they provide an alternative DNS ?
can you ping 212.58.224.116 (bbc) for example

Phil

Old May 28th 05, 07:18 AM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk.btinternet,uk.telecom.broadband
simon

wrote:

[...]

Yes, I've got an email from BT telling me that the ADSL is live. It looks
like I might have to install the BT-supplied modem to see if that will work,
I'd been hoping to avoid that.

Old May 28th 05, 08:16 AM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk.btinternet,uk.telecom.broadband
simon

SNIPPED

Yes, I've got an email from BT telling me that the ADSL is live. It looks
like I might have to install the BT-supplied modem to see if that will

work,
I'd been hoping to avoid that.

I have just spoken to the BT Broadband helpline at 50p/minute, and they say
there's a "major service outage" affecting me at present (I'm in North
Devon) which should be fixed by lunchtime. Is anyone else having problems? I
haven't managed to get anyone at BT to confirm this yet, except the
50p/minute guy.

Old May 28th 05, 09:43 AM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk.btinternet,uk.telecom.broadband
NBT

simon wrote:
SNIPPED

Yes, I've got an email from BT telling me that the ADSL is live. It looks
like I might have to install the BT-supplied modem to see if that will

work,

I'd been hoping to avoid that.

I have just spoken to the BT Broadband helpline at 50p/minute, and they say
there's a "major service outage" affecting me at present (I'm in North
Devon) which should be fixed by lunchtime. Is anyone else having problems? I
haven't managed to get anyone at BT to confirm this yet, except the
50p/minute guy.

Having been with BT Broadband for about a year I have *never* been able
to ping the DNS Servers and have no problems with the broadband.