A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Migrating to ZEN



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 28th 05, 08:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mick
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Migrating to ZEN

In article ,
(Dave Mason) wrote:

No, the alias is just for email.

http://www.zenxxxxx.zen.co.uk for the web space I'm afraid.

OK no probs. It's not really a problem because the web forwarding I use
from my own domain masks the address anyway. I just wanted something
easier for me to remember.

--
Rgds, Mick.
  #2  
Old May 28th 05, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 92
Default Migrating to ZEN

Mick wrote:
In article ,
(Dave Mason) wrote:


No, the alias is just for email.

http://www.zenxxxxx.zen.co.uk for the web space I'm afraid.


OK no probs. It's not really a problem because the web forwarding I use
from my own domain masks the address anyway. I just wanted something
easier for me to remember.

Seems to me an excellent reason for steering clear of them. Can't see
any reason for forcing names like that onto people.

--
Please use the corrected version of the address below for replies.
Replies to the header address will be junked, as will mail from
various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
  #3  
Old May 28th 05, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,496
Default Migrating to ZEN

On 28 May 2005 08:19 GMT, Mike Scott wrote:

Seems to me an excellent reason for steering clear of them.
Can't see any reason for forcing names like that onto people.


It's a pretty pathetic reason against using a highly respected ISP,
in my view. As the Zen mail address and webspace can be accessed by
an alias, or forwarding for the domain name this guy already has, it's
really not a problem, just one way of identifying the accounts. Most
ISPs will have some name which is a sub-domain of theirs, so you're
quite hard-pressed to make this an issue without it being an issue
against most other ISPs. Unless the ISP lets you use their servers,
with a domain name of your own, then perhaps you can give some other
examples where your webspace has a 'nicer' identification... will be
interesting to see what alternatives you come up with! Peter M.

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.
  #4  
Old May 28th 05, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,720
Default Migrating to ZEN

On Sat, 28 May 2005 10:16:39 +0100, Peter M
wrote:

then perhaps you can give some other
examples where your webspace has a 'nicer' identification... will be
interesting to see what alternatives you come up with!


many allow you to use the "hostname" that you pick as the web and
email address, www.hostname.demon.co.uk www.hostname.freeserve.co.uk
to name but two.

The Zen system is a bit poor in that respect.

Phil
--
Tiscali - dialup speeds at Broadband prices, see
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...&Board=tiscali

AOL - the unlimited ISP of choice for heavy downloaders.
  #5  
Old May 28th 05, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 92
Default Migrating to ZEN

Phil Thompson wrote:
On Sat, 28 May 2005 10:16:39 +0100, Peter M
wrote:


then perhaps you can give some other
examples where your webspace has a 'nicer' identification... will be
interesting to see what alternatives you come up with!



many allow you to use the "hostname" that you pick as the web and
email address, www.hostname.demon.co.uk www.hostname.freeserve.co.uk
to name but two.

The Zen system is a bit poor in that respect.

Phil

Quite. I recall when I was with clara my dial-up account had an
arbitrary number of email addresses of the form ,
and a corresponding reasonable web address. Forcing daft arbitrary
decisions on people is in my books a reason to steer clear. YOMD.

--
Please use the corrected version of the address below for replies.
Replies to the header address will be junked, as will mail from
various domains listed at
www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Migrating to ZEN Mick uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 May 28th 05 08:18 AM
Migrating to ZEN Mick uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 May 27th 05 09:11 PM
Migrating to another SP The Cable Guy uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 May 26th 05 10:47 PM
migrating h3r0 uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 February 16th 05 11:20 PM
Migrating procedure David G uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 8 December 16th 04 12:37 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.