Speedtouc 330 on WIN98SE

Old May 30th 05, 01:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

Default Speedtouc 330 on WIN98SE

Folks,

I have been trying to set one of the above on a rather old PC running
WIN98SE. It does not appear to create the "ISDN layer" this modem uses.
When you to connect it says it can't create the connection. You can't create
manually as there is not ISDN layer, which "appears" on my PC when I install
it.Any clues any one. Modem is OK, works on my PC. Appears in device manager
on WIN98?

Ran uninstall/re-install countless times...

Dave.

Old May 30th 05, 02:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I have been trying to set one of the above on a rather old PC running
WIN98SE.
Ran uninstall/re-install countless times...

Did you plug it in *before* installing the software ?

Some USB modems screw the system up royally if you plug them in prior to
installing the software for them.

It might be worth unplugging, doing an uninstall, run a registry cleaner,
the install the drivers again - see if that makes a difference.

PS: the speedtouch worked ok on my 98SE machine, but was prone to
dropping the connection (I was on a 1Ghz Duron at the time).

Old May 30th 05, 08:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bert

Speedtouch modem is very power hungry. Some people measured readings between
800 - 1500 mA. So will be dropping connection.

Bert.
t...

Old May 30th 05, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , David Wade
writes
Folks,

I have been trying to set one of the above on a rather old PC running
WIN98SE. It does not appear to create the "ISDN layer" this modem uses.
When you to connect it says it can't create the connection. You can't create
manually as there is not ISDN layer, which "appears" on my PC when I install
it.Any clues any one. Modem is OK, works on my PC. Appears in device manager
on WIN98?

Ran uninstall/re-install countless times...

I have got it to work for a friend. Make sure you have the latest
drivers from the web site and also that you have the latest
patches/updates for win98se. You can still download them from
microsoft.com. Win98se's USB support was flakey straight out of the box.
--
Pete Devlin
"And the devil in a black dress watches over"
Old May 30th 05, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Speedtouch modem is very power hungry. Some people measured readings between
800 - 1500 mA. So will be dropping connection.

I`ve never heard anyone mention it going as high as 1500mA before, but if
so, OUCH...

In my case I think it was more processor load related - I was playing
Half-Life online and the CPU was tied up throwing the gfx onscreen - it
was fairly stable otherwise.

I moved to a router just over 2 years ago and had no problems since.

Old May 30th 05, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"David Wade" wrote in message
Folks,

I have been trying to set one of the above on a rather old PC running
WIN98SE. It does not appear to create the "ISDN layer" this modem uses.

What makes you think that you need an "ISDN layer"?

If you go to "control panel", "network" and find anything mentioning ISDN I
suggest that you delete it.

For the 330, I think that you just need:

Dial-Up Adapter (with adapter logo)
TCP/IP -- Dial-Up Adapter (with protocol logo)

(perhaps assuming that you dont have any type of real ISDN connection)

--

Michael Chare

Old May 30th 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Mon, 30 May 2005 18:52:41 +0100, "Michael Chare"
wrote:

What makes you think that you need an "ISDN layer"?

USB modems are listed as ISDN devices in DUN or device manager.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old May 30th 05, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

I have got it to work for a friend. Make sure you have the latest
drivers from the web site and also that you have the latest
patches/updates for win98se. You can still download them from
microsoft.com. Win98se's USB support was flakey straight out of the box.
--

Thanks Pete,
I think I have latest versions. I did USB and ISDN update for 98SE. Any

Old May 30th 05, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
"David Wade" wrote in message
Folks,

I have been trying to set one of the above on a rather old PC running
WIN98SE. It does not appear to create the "ISDN layer" this modem uses.

What makes you think that you need an "ISDN layer"?

If you go to "control panel", "network" and find anything mentioning ISDN

suggest that you delete it.

Look at the connection properties. What device is it using to connect (top
box)