ADSL Router/Modem

Old May 30th 05, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

Default ADSL Router/Modem

Suggestions for the purchase of a ADSL Router/Modem, together with its
delivered price, would be welcomed. Single port varients to be ignored. It is
essential that the default settings for the NAT for the router and attached
devices can be changed without undue difficulty. [e.g. Router set to
192.168.16.1 and attached devices with a DHCP range starting at 40].

Incomming VPN functionality would be nice.

The Draytek 2600 range would be just fine but sadly too high up the price
range. The lower priced Draytek 2500 is a possabilty but at £90+ [delivered]
is also ruled out.

So what's left in the market place, below £90, that does a fine job reliably
and with [relative] ease of set-up?

David Bradley
Old May 30th 05, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

So what's left in the market place, below £90, that does a fine job reliably
and with [relative] ease of set-up?

David Bradley

Had very good results with the Ebuyer own make, cant comment on its VPN
suitabiity sorry. Have just installed another one for customer.

Dave

Old May 30th 05, 01:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

Look here
http://www.linksyssales.co.uk/linksy...namicIndex.asp

Old May 30th 05, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MM

"David Bradley" wrote in message
Suggestions for the purchase of a ADSL Router/Modem, together with its
delivered price, would be welcomed. Single port varients to be ignored.
It is
essential that the default settings for the NAT for the router and
attached
devices can be changed without undue difficulty. [e.g. Router set to
192.168.16.1 and attached devices with a DHCP range starting at 40].

Incomming VPN functionality would be nice.

The Draytek 2600 range would be just fine but sadly too high up the price
range. The lower priced Draytek 2500 is a possabilty but at £90+
[delivered]
is also ruled out.

So what's left in the market place, below £90, that does a fine job
reliably
and with [relative] ease of set-up?

David Bradley

Netgear DG834G fits the bill

Old May 30th 05, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

[...]

3com officeconnect (newermodel), with up to date firmware, i have found to
be very stable, it allows easily changing of lan ip addresses (i come across
a netgear the other day that would not allow you to change out of
192.168.1.x

Gaz

Old May 31st 05, 02:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

You can pickup Draytek 2600 or 2600+ on Ebay without too much difficulty,
I just bought 2600VGi for £113+£7.50 postage.
Davoom.com was even selling brand new ones on Ebay.

You should really consider a 2500V or 2600V, the VoIp sockets are worth the
extra cost and will pay for themselves in free or cheap calls.
Other one to consider is Zoom X5V, but I have no experience with it.
Regards,
Martin

Old May 31st 05, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
In uk.telecom.broadband, Gaz wrote:

3com officeconnect (newermodel)

I've installed a couple of these, and compared with other makes they
seem very stable and easy to set up.

Not so good on long lines though. Mine drops connection several times a
day, something my USB modem doesn't do.

http://www.3com.com/prod/en_UK_EMEA/...ku=3CRWDR100A-
72

--
Nigel M

"Time may be a great healer,
but he's a lousy beautician"

Old June 1st 05, 02:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

"Dave" wrote in message

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
In uk.telecom.broadband, Gaz wrote:

3com officeconnect (newermodel)

I've installed a couple of these, and compared with other makes they
seem very stable and easy to set up.

Not so good on long lines though. Mine drops connection several times a
day, something my USB modem doesn't do.

my own line is pretty long with a 59 to 60dcb line loss, i did have problems
with the older edition of the officeconnect, but this revision, is rock
steady, with the feb firmware.

I have not had to reset the router at all, and while i have had a dropped
line occasionally, i suspect it is more to do with my isp then anything
else.......... I am even hoping it can handle the 1mb service.

I have found it more reliable for customers also, once set, it is
maintainance free, I had some trouble with linksys and buffallo ****e, which
cost me a lot of time.

Gaz

Old June 1st 05, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
In uk.telecom.broadband, Gaz wrote:

the older edition of the officeconnect, but this revision, is rock
steady, with the feb firmware.

Yes, the older model suffered from hangups with P2P I understand.

Yes, i am a fan of bittorrent, it would hang, and i wouldnt even be able to
access on the wireless, had to physically pull out the power. No such
problems with this though, since the firmware update (i was loseing dns a
few times on the old firmware).

Gaz

--
Nigel M

"Time may be a great healer,
but he's a lousy beautician"

Old June 2nd 05, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Gaz" wrote in message

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
In uk.telecom.broadband, Gaz wrote:

the older edition of the officeconnect, but this revision, is rock
steady, with the feb firmware.

Yes, the older model suffered from hangups with P2P I understand.

Yes, i am a fan of bittorrent, it would hang, and i wouldnt even be able

access on the wireless, had to physically pull out the power. No such
problems with this though, since the firmware update (i was loseing dns a
few times on the old firmware).

I'm not seeing any issues at all with the router hanging. The only oddity
I've seen in 3 months is when the router decided to reboot itself. My att.
is 63dB, SNR 11dB and the router just drops the ISP connection every now and
again. Normally once or twice a day but it was terrible over the bank
holiday weekend. My USB Speedtouch provides a rock solid connection which
never drops so I can only assume the router is at fault or is just less
tolerant of line statistics.

Gaz

--
Nigel M