Cisco alternative

Old May 30th 05, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

Default Cisco alternative

"jas0n" wrote in message
. ..

Im basically after cisco just so I can get to grips with the
basics of the cisco ios, etc and use it on my existing
connection.

I was in a similar position to yourself earlier this year as I fancied
dabbling with the Cisco IOS and a business I am the recommender for wanted a
new DSL router installing so we went for a Cisco 837-K9 from www.s2s.ltd.uk
It doesn't provide wireless but it's a damn fine reliable router.

However, I do have one word of warning for you if you do go ahead and
purchase a Cisco and that is don't believe all the gumph that Cisco or their
partners lead you to believe when it comes to setting up the router via
their CRWS tool i.e. their own all singing all dancing web interface of the
router. You can't configure PPPoA via the web interface as it is an
unsupported protocol via http. It can only be done via the command line as
I found out when calling s2s. S2S has informed me in a sales call that I
made to them that I could configure the web interface to connect to ADSL in
the UK but they were yards off when it actually came to it. There is also
no documentation provided with the router i.e..e no user manual other that a
simple guide how to login to the router and set up the DSL connection for
PPPoE assuming that everyone they ship there equipment to lives in the U.S.
Which was disappointing as it said on the contents that I should have
received a manual/user guide. S2S stated "Oh, they don't do that anymore!"

I needed to call their Tech support for assistance and was informed that the
first 15 mins are free with new equipment and over and above 15 mins they
charge 100 p.h. Luckily everything else I had configured was sufficient
enough to get the router going. The web interface is OK beyond that but I
have set up port forwarding with the cli and you see the changes in certain
areas of the web setup tool for reference etc.

On the whole I'd say go for a Cisco as they are very reliable pieces of kit
but if you are unsure of their cli then ere caution!

Bob

Old May 31st 05, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"Bob" wrote in news:[email protected]
reader02.plus.net:

You can't configure PPPoA via the web interface as it is an
unsupported protocol via http.

We've done plenty of Cisco routers and had no trouble configuring PPPoA
via the web interface. I forget which model they are now but they're
nothing fancy.

--
Colin
Old June 1st 05, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony Edwards

On Mon, 30 May 2005 22:58:01 +0100, jas0n wrote:

Its the cli with ios, etc im after getting into ... we
currently use the 837's for adsl at work yet use an outside
agency for configuration, etc ...

If you want to delve even further into Cisco equipment, one of these may
also be useful:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...031/index.html

An excellent firewall device, and surprisingly affordable too.

--
Anthony Edwards
easynet Ltd - Manchester

Old June 1st 05, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr. Compynei

"jas0n" wrote:

Its the cli with ios, etc im after getting into ... we
currently use the 837's for adsl at work yet use an outside
agency for configuration, etc ...

Have you tried eBay?

Old June 2nd 05, 01:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Wyles

jas0n wrote:
In article ,
says...
On Mon, 30 May 2005 22:58:01 +0100, jas0n wrote:

Its the cli with ios, etc im after getting into ... we
currently use the 837's for adsl at work yet use an outside
agency for configuration, etc ...

If you want to delve even further into Cisco equipment, one of these may
also be useful:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...031/index.html

An excellent firewall device, and surprisingly affordable too.

Would the pix 501 give the same / more capabilities than the
cisco 851 box I seem to be pointed towards at the moment?

Ive found it at EBuyer:-

As you are on an ethernet cable connection, the PIX would do what you
require regarding firewall, PAT/NAT and DHCP serving etc. But be aware
that the PIX runs PIX OS which is similar to but doesn't have the same
command set as IOS with runs on the cisco routers. If you want to learn
IOS, get the router. Or... even better get both an IOS based router and
the PIX.

Steve