Phone/US/ADSL bundle supplier?

Old May 31st 05, 11:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

Default Phone/US/ADSL bundle supplier?

Can anyone recommend a supplier who can do all the following at a reasonable
cost? I'm willing to "mix-and-match" to a degree, but the final cost must
be about the same.

1. Free UK calls (obviously an up-front fee)
2. Cheap (2p/min) calls to the US
3. 512kB/s, unlimited ADSL access
4. A single, reliable, e-mail address with POP3 access

The unlimited ADSL is important since I have a long-term aim of getting
video calling working to my in-laws in the US and that is a little bandwidth
heavy.

Onetel do 3 out of 4 but their e-mail server is a pile of expletive
deleted so I'm looking to move.

Cheers,
Paul DS.
--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Old May 31st 05, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

On Tue, 31 May 2005 10:34:51 +0100, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

snip

Onetel do 3 out of 4 but their e-mail server is a pile of expletive
deleted so I'm looking to move.

Why not stick with them but use another ISP for POP3 email.
Claranet will setup a 'never-ending trial' account, and you can use
that to receive POP3 email (you might need to send outgoing mail via
Onetel's SMTP relay, but that shouldn't be a problem).

--
Tony
Old May 31st 05, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 31 May 2005 10:34, "Paul D.Smith" wrote:

Onetel do 3 out of 4 but their e-mail server is a pile of expletive
deleted so I'm looking to move.

If you get all but the mail happily, why not get a free Yahoo.co.uk mail
account (250 MB, POP/SMTP allowed, no fee) or use someone like Claranet,
for 9.99/year (http://www.uk.clara.net/btbroadband/) as perhaps there
could be some drawback found, with anyone you switch to :-) Peter M.

[ if an ISP blocks port 25 traffic, Clara's server accepts on 2525 too ]

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Can accept mail for your domain and apply filtering...
Point your MX record to mx.runbox.com and use POP/IMAP...
Old May 31st 05, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

On Tue, 31 May 2005 11:27:09 +0100, Peter M
wrote:

If you get all but the mail happily, why not get a free Yahoo.co.uk mail
account (250 MB, POP/SMTP allowed, no fee) or use someone like Claranet,
for 9.99/year (http://www.uk.clara.net/btbroadband/) as perhaps there
could be some drawback found, with anyone you switch to :-) Peter M.

The Clara account that I was referring to is free.
I know it works - I use the service.

--
Tony )

Old May 31st 05, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

wrote:

If you get all but the mail happily, why not get a free Yahoo.co.uk mail
account (250 MB, POP/SMTP allowed, no fee) or use someone like Claranet,
for 9.99/year (http://www.uk.clara.net/btbroadband/) as perhaps there
could be some drawback found, with anyone you switch to :-) Peter M.

The Clara account that I was referring to is free.
I know it works - I use the service.

--
Tony )

Tony,

I can't see any free service on the Clara website. Did you sign up sometime
ago when they were putting out lots of "free to get customers" offers?

Paul DS

Old May 31st 05, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 31 May 2005 12:02, Tony wrote:

for 9.99/year (http://www.uk.clara.net/btbroadband/) ...

The Clara account that I was referring to is free.
I know it works - I use the service.

I know it works. I have used both. I would recommend the 9.99/year since
it also offers SMTP facilities, and can be used from ISPs such as Wanadoo,
etc, where port 25 is 'trapped'. Alternatively, I also may have mentioned
Yahoo.co.uk which offers POP/SMTP for free. The free Clara account offers
only POP (and arguably, the benefits of their filtering, as a bonus) which
might be OK, for some purposes, but is a half-way house, compared with the
Yahoo or paid-for Clara accounts, IMHO. Peter M.
Old May 31st 05, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

On Tue, 31 May 2005 12:33:10 +0100, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

Tony,

I can't see any free service on the Clara website. Did you sign up sometime
ago when they were putting out lots of "free to get customers" offers?

Go to http://www.uk.clara.net/homeaccess/ and click the Free Trial
link on the left of the screen.

--
Tony )
Old May 31st 05, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

....where port 25 is 'trapped'.

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but what does this mean? Do you mean that
an ISP may block an attempt for me to try and contact Claranet on port 25?

Paul DS.

Old May 31st 05, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

Thanks,

Paul DS

Old May 31st 05, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 31 May 2005 12:33, "Paul D.Smith" wrote:

I can't see any free service on the Clara website

Services / Home Access menu / Free Trial