Netgear and Belkin routers

Old May 31st 05, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

Default Netgear and Belkin routers

I have a netgear all in one wireless router / modem and a belkin wifi
router (no modem) both have 3 ethernet ports

is it possible to have the netgear downstairs at the master socket where
the telephone line signal is best and use the belkin upstairs to recieve
internet wirelessly from the netgear and distribute on ethernet to 3
PC's upstairs?
Old June 1st 05, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

Kinell wrote:
Dee wrote in news:429cd3b8$0
:

downstairs at the master socket where
the telephone line signal is best

There does seem to be a big difference in line quality from room to room

But I've been experimenting today and trying out different things and it
may be due to electrical interferance?

For instance if I locate the Netgear ADSL Router / Modem in my sister's
room it seems fine, but when I start turning on things in her room the
noise db drops .. downstairs there's not much electrical stuff around.

Same in my parents rooms.

Would a better quality telephone cable help? better shielded perhaps?

I know Belkin do some very good quality cables.
Old June 5th 05, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

I've been given another Belkin Router from my friend and it's an all in
one model

I tried this combined ADSL Modem / Router / Wifi Belkin F5D7630

And I seem to be getting much better noise figures

The Netgear was dropping to as low as 1db to 3db upstairs in my bedroom
and disconnecting

with the help of this site I found out the hidden menu that allow you to
see the connection status and it gives the following numbers

http://www.sabi.co.uk/Notes/hwNotesReviews.html

I've used the same ADSL Line filter and cable fromthe Netgear and this
gives much better results - does this mean my Netgear may be faulty?

ADSL Status Information

Date Rate: Stream Type
Interleaved Channel Data Rate
Fast Channel Data Rate

Up Stream
0 (Kbps.)
288 (Kbps.)

Down Stream
0 (Kbps.)
2272 (Kbps.)

Operation Data / Defect Indication: Operation Data
Upstream
Downstream

Noise Margin
18 dB
11 dB

Output Power
12 dBm
20 dBm

Attenuation
31.5 dB
54 dB
Old June 5th 05, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 05 Jun 2005 16:45, Dee wrote:

http://www.sabi.co.uk/Notes/hwNotesReviews.html

If anyone else is planning to do something similar, I'd suggest they use a
'hosts' entry so they can define the router IP address locally and give any
URLs in the form http://myrouter/page_name.htm

That would allow someone else to define (in their hosts file) the IP for
'myrouter' and not be tied to using 192.168.2.1 (for example :-) Peter

--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!!
USENET news service ? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)