GUI frontend to ROUTE.EXE?

Old June 1st 05, 01:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveL

Default GUI frontend to ROUTE.EXE?

This seems such a silly question but I've been all over the place
looking and I can't seem to find a graphical version of ROUTE.EXE.

Surely there's a freeware or a shareware version of this somewhere?

It seems so obvious there'd be one somewhere but my search powers have
let me down.

Can anyone help?

MTIA

Old June 1st 05, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article ,
SteveL wrote:
This seems such a silly question but I've been all over the place
looking and I can't seem to find a graphical version of ROUTE.EXE.

You want a graphical tool to manipulate your Windows routing table? I'm
not sure it's worth the effort - how often do you change routing tables?
Unless you are administering a big network, in which case you'd be
configuring routing tables on Cisco or other non-SOHO routers.

All a graphical tool would really be able to do would be to take the
arguments off a pretty page and shove them into ROUTE ADD/ROUTE PRINT
commands and tell you the result.

Zane.
Old June 1st 05, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

tim wrote in
news:[email protected] eranews:

So you're saying its not that hard? Where is it then?

I don't know of one, chances are noone has seen the point in writing one
but in case there is one, google is your friend.

--
Colin
Old June 2nd 05, 02:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveL

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 11:49:51 GMT, () wrote:

In article ,
SteveL wrote:
This seems such a silly question but I've been all over the place
looking and I can't seem to find a graphical version of ROUTE.EXE.

You want a graphical tool to manipulate your Windows routing table? I'm
not sure it's worth the effort - how often do you change routing tables?

A LOT. I've got a dual broadband connection (at least for a while),
and I'm experimenting with diverting various download requests via one
or the other interface to maximise download speeds. (e.g. using
newsbin to download binaries from two different news servers). Unl;ess
you set up a route, downloads from both servers go via the default
gateway. If you setup a route to specify that access to server B goes
via the 2nd interface, then you get both interfaces involved.

It works very well, but having to type commands in to add, delete and
print routes all the time is a slight pain, especially when I'm adding
routes to networks and have to specify subnet masks as well.....

Unless you are administering a big network, in which case you'd be
configuring routing tables on Cisco or other non-SOHO routers.

All a graphical tool would really be able to do would be to take the
arguments off a pretty page and shove them into ROUTE ADD/ROUTE PRINT
commands and tell you the result.

No, hopefully you could have a whole list of specified route
definitions and be able to select and move them between interfaces en
mass or individually, or swap the interfaces, or take specified
routes out of action (but not permanently DELETE them), or have a list
of favourite download sites and be able to drag and drop one IP
address to one gateway, and another to the other. Also using symbolic
DNS names would be nice.

What's really needed is some decent connection teaming software, but I
haven't found any lately...... Midpoint used to be pretty good (back
when I had ISDN I used to dial BT with one free 64 bit connection and
Freeserve with the other, and got an effective 128kb), but they seem
to have gone bust......

So from the other responses as well, at least I haven't gone blind
missed a GUI program to handle the routing table...
Old June 2nd 05, 07:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 02 Jun 2005 01:55, SteveL wrote:

It works very well, but having to type commands in to add, delete and
print routes all the time is a slight pain, especially when I'm adding
routes to networks and have to specify subnet masks as well.....

Well, FWIW, in the past I've added specific entries to batch files to
set, or clear, all the routes for one gateway, along with my comments
as reminders of why they had been included, and what they were (both
URLs and types of data). I cannot see how a GUI would lessen typing
of subnet masks where needed, or do much else for you, and have had
a couple of connections for over a year, with relatively few needs
to change the routes from month to month, let alone week to week or
more often.

you could have a whole list of specified route definitions and be
able to select and move them between interfaces en mass or individually,
or swap the interfaces, or take specified routes out of action (but
not permanently DELETE them), or have a list of favourite download
sites and be able to drag and drop one IP address to one gateway,
and another to the other.

I can see it might appeal but cannot think that it would be considered
to be a needed, mass-market, utility - after all, how many organisations
or home users actually have 2+ connections they want to use simultaneously

Old June 2nd 05, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NBT

SteveL wrote:

[...]

Advanced Net Tools
http://www.dreamsyssoft.com/
Old June 2nd 05, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article ,
SteveL wrote:
The difficulty with ROUTE is knowing *what* to type, and a GUI would
just change that to having to know *what* to put in the pretty boxes. No
gain, really.

I don't see why necessarily. The front end could do DNS lookups for
you, could save you the time of having to ping the website to get the
IP, then not mistype it. If you want to use networks, it could do the
subnet mask for you etc. etc.

The routing table is about which networks are DIRECTLY connected to you,
by ethernet, dialup, WAN link, etc - it tells your local machine which
interfaces to use for what groups of networks, and for the vast majority
of home users there's only one entry that counts, the default entry which
routes everything out the only network link. Nothing to do with DNS,
websites, ping, etc.

Zane.