Overlaps at ADSL migration

Old June 1st 05, 07:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Default Overlaps at ADSL migration

I'm due to migrate from Pipex to Plusnet next week. I am likely to be away from
home on the day that's been set. No problem I thought until I mentioned it to my
wife ! (I didn't think she would be that bothered :-) ).

Anyway I hope I can talk her through re-setting the username/pw on my router over
the phone, a bit fiddly it's a Solwise 715.

However I read in this recent thread:-

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...ed8c8885be2e33

that there might be an overlap period with the connections ?

Is that common ? Rather than have her fiddling about is there a possibility the
old Pipex connection will carry on for 36-48 hrs, in which case it can wait until
I return. The other alternative is to set it myself to the new Plusnet details on
the morning of the migration day, but a) how reliable is the actual quoted date,
and b) when do PN e-mail the username/pw ? I believe they will differ to my
account details ?

TIA

--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply
Old June 2nd 05, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Mark Carver wrote:
[...]

It's utterly dependant on who in which office presses which buttons
first.
And hence can't be relied upon.
Which IMO is stupid, there is no good reason not to allow multipole
ISPs on one line, but that's BT policy.

Old June 3rd 05, 02:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 01 Jun 2005 06:48, Mark Carver wrote:

that there might be an overlap period with the connections ? Is that common ?

I'd expect it to be exceptional, and probably few people would have tried
their old details once the new ISP connection has been established, so it
is also based on my speculation, rather than any factual data, of course!

The other alternative is to set it myself to the new Plusnet details on
the morning of the migration day,

I'm not familiar with that particular router, but on the ones I've used I
would put the new username/password details into the unit, and 'submit',
and then leave the browser on the 'save and reboot' screen, so someone
else would be able to force the router to have the new settings only
from the day when migration was expected to be completed...

but a) how reliable is the actual quoted date, and

My migration was done on the morning in the timeslot indicated, but I'd
guess there have been instances when it wasn't as clear cut or some delay
crept in. Not sure if there are any stats - certainly I'd say most of the
comments I've seen so far suggest few problems with the actual migrations.

b) when do PN e-mail the username/pw ?

You could easily raise a 'contact us' ticket to ask this directly of PN.

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/dghgq
I recommend them and save some cash.
Old June 3rd 05, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Peter M wrote:
On 01 Jun 2005 06:48, Mark Carver wrote:

The other alternative is to set it myself to the new Plusnet details on
the morning of the migration day,

I'm not familiar with that particular router [Solwise 715], but on the ones I've used I
would put the new username/password details into the unit, and 'submit',
and then leave the browser on the 'save and reboot' screen, so someone
else would be able to force the router to have the new settings only
from the day when migration was expected to be completed...

I've been playing with it today. It seems you can't set a new ADSL account
until you've deleted the present one ! Deleting an account kills the
connection even before a 'save' or 'reboot', so that's no good :-(

but a) how reliable is the actual quoted date, and

My migration was done on the morning in the timeslot indicated, but I'd
guess there have been instances when it wasn't as clear cut or some delay
crept in. Not sure if there are any stats - certainly I'd say most of the
comments I've seen so far suggest few problems with the actual migrations.

b) when do PN e-mail the username/pw ?

You could easily raise a 'contact us' ticket to ask this directly of PN.

Did that today too, they've told the form it will take, so in view of today's
experiment I'll re configure and 'save settings', and then power off the
router just before I leave the house, and instruct my wife to switch it back
on at 6pm on the day of migration. Fingers crossed, wish me luck !

--
Mark