I still get disconnected from ADSL (Griffin)

Old June 1st 05, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hill

Default I still get disconnected from ADSL (Griffin)

Hello again, even when changing Lease times etc, each of the PC's on my LAN
are disconnected from ADSL if the relevant PC is left idle for any length of
time. I, and others, think the Router is causing this. It is likely that it
is some setting I have done, so here are the settings as they are, hopefully
something will be glaringly obvious:

I use a D-Link DSL-604T Router, 1 PC hard wired, 3 others wireless.

I use Griffin Broadband who have provided me with the following:

Username: *****
Password: *****
IP Address: *****
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255

Authentification Type: CHAP
Encapulation Type: PPPoA
Mux Method: VC Based
Encoding Type: G.DMT
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Primary DNS: *****
Secondary DNS: *****
Outgoing Mail server: smtp.griffin.com

(I've hidden the DNS's, IP address and Username/Password as it probably
isn't a good idea to publish them.

PC Settings:

TCP/IP settings for "obtain IP Address" & "obtain DNS Server address" on all
PC's are set to automatic.

Router Settings as they a

"SETUP"
LAN
DHCP config: Start IP 192.168.1.2 End IP 192.168.1.254 Primary DNS
192.168.1.1 Lease Time 999999mins (max I could do)
DHCP Server enabled

DNS CONFIG:
DNS Relay selection - Use Auto Discovered Server Only (I could select User
here)
User Config: Prefered DNS server 139.175.55.224 Alternative DNS server
blank. (I've just changed this to user and entered the Primary & Secondary
DNS server addresses privided by Griffin. I'm still connected so I wonder if
this was to blame?

MANAGEMENT IP:
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: ***** (this is similar to Primary DNS, but last three
digits are different)
Hostname: mygateway
domainname: ar7

WAN
DSL: Modulation Type: GDMT

Connection1:
Name: PPPoA_0_38
Type: PPPoA
PPP Settings: VC
Username: *****
Password: *****
Idle Timeout: 299sec (was 10, 299 is max)
Keep Alive: 999999min (was 10, 999999 is max)
Maxfail: 10 times
MTU: 1400 bytes
MRU: 1492 bytes
Set Route: (checked)
On Demand: (checked)
PVC Settings: VPI: 0 VCI: 38
QOS: UBR
PCR: blank
SCR: blank

"ADVANCED"

UPnP: Not selected

Port Forwarding: nothing selected

Access control: nothing selected

Advanced Security
Enable Firewall & NAT sevice - both selected with PPPoA_0_38 selected as WAN
Enable DMZ: not selected
Remote Web: Checked with IP provided by Griffin & Griffin's IP Netmask
Remote Telnet: not checked
Allow incoming ICMP Ping: not checked

LAN Clients
No static addresses
3 Dymanic addresses (all PC names on the network)

Bridge Filters: nothing checked

Multicast: nothing checked

Static Routing: PPPoA_0_38 or LAN are the choices
Nothing entered in the fields: Destination IP, Mask, Gateway, Metric "ADD"

Dynamic Routing: Enable RIP - not checked

Wireless Management: Nothing Checked
Wireless Performance: Various default settings

"TOOLS"
System Commands: Save All, Restart, Restart Wireless Access Point, Restore
(defaults) - A restart doesn't solve the problem.

Remote Log: Time, User Management (Router password), Update Gateway
(Firmware), Ping Test, OAM test

"STATUS"
Network Statistics
Ethernet: no errors
DSL: no errors
Wireless: Some failed MSDU's

Connection Status:
LAN: MAC Address *****, IP Address 192.168.1.1, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server "running"
WAN: Connection 1, pppoa, IP (provided by Griffin) Connected

DHCP Clients - The 3 PC's listed above

DSL Status: Connected (It says connected when I can't get on).

Product Info & Sytem LOG

"HELP"

Well, while writing this, the only changes I have made are changing the DNS
configuration from Auto to User & entering the Primary & Secondary DNS's
provided by Griffin. I wonder whether this was it?????

Griffin's site also say I'm entitled to 1,4 or 8 static IP addresses.
1, What benefit would I get
2, How would I set up the PC's & Router?

Cheers
Peter

Old June 1st 05, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sniffer

Suggest that you try re-configuring the section:

MANAGEMENT IP:
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
digits are different)
Hostname: mygateway
domainname: ar7

with

MANAGEMENT IP:
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Hostname:
domainname:

As far as the PC's on the LAN are concerned, they need to be told by
the router that the router is their gateway to the Internet. It is the
router which needs to be told the WAN gateway (the IP which is similar
to the DNS addresses) and this is normally done automatically by your
ISP when the router boots up,

Also, (not connected with the above), I notice that in your WAN
settings, you have the line:

On Demand: (checked)

If you want the router to stay online 24/7 I think this line should be
unchecked. You will probably find that when you do this, the:

Idle Timeout: 299sec (was 10, 299 is max)
Keep Alive: 999999min (was 10, 999999 is max)

will grey out.

Give it a whirl

Old June 1st 05, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blackmesa8

"Peter Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Im not sure whats causing it but i have an idea. I have a D link ethernet
modem and on idle time i put 0 as in the manual it said that means never
idle out. try changing this
Idle Timeout: 299sec (was 10, 299 is max)
to 0
It might help cause my d link ethernet modem never disconnects idle pc's
even if they are left idle for days at a time. It cant make it anyworse if
it does something bad change it back :P

Old June 7th 05, 02:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hill

"Sniffer" wrote in message
[...]

Cheers, I did all this and also set up each PC with it's own IP
(192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3 etc) and set these as static IP's with the Router.

A few days have now passed and all is OK

Cheers