OT BBC Cbeebies poor audio quality?

Old June 1st 05, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

Default OT BBC Cbeebies poor audio quality?

Can anyone tell me why the Cbeebies audio is of such poor quality? For
example, the current "64 Zoo Lane" story "Georgina the Giraffe" sounds like
it was recorded on a 78rpm record!

I spent a little time trying to figure out what was wrong with my daughters'
PC/speakers before realising it's the feed from the BBC!

Paul DS.
--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Old June 1st 05, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Can't explain why, but agree with you that it is poor. Shame, as the
site is excellent!

Old June 1st 05, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith \(UK\)

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
t...
Can anyone tell me why the Cbeebies audio is of such poor quality? For
example, the current "64 Zoo Lane" story "Georgina the Giraffe" sounds
like
it was recorded on a 78rpm record!

I spent a little time trying to figure out what was wrong with my
daughters'
PC/speakers before realising it's the feed from the BBC!

Paul DS.

I have noticed that several channels on sky have a squelchy / hissing sound,
sort of echoing the sound. I think you get it when you decode audio, and
re-encode it at a lower bitrate. The audio equivalent of a blocky jpeg from
re compressing.

Bob

Old June 1st 05, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Paul D.Smith wrote:
Can anyone tell me why the Cbeebies audio is of such poor quality? For
example, the current "64 Zoo Lane" story "Georgina the Giraffe" sounds like
it was recorded on a 78rpm record!

As far as I can tell, it may be because GtG is a flash movie, and this
presumably doesn't support the good quality encodings used by the likes
of Real.

Chris