Bulldog launch 8MB service for 30 inc line rental

Old June 1st 05, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default Bulldog launch 8MB service for 30 inc line rental

Bulldog have launched an 8MB service with their standard 1 month
contract.

From Bulldog's website:

----
We're supersizing all our broadband @ctive services - for free!

All our existing 4 meg @ctive customers will soon be enjoying an even
faster service at no extra cost.

We'll commence upgrading all @ctive areas to 8 meg from June 15th and
anticipate that this process will take up to 2 weeks.

If you're a current @ctive customer, Bulldog will provide the fastest
speed that your phone line will support, up to 8 meg. You won't have to
do anything.
----

Seems Bulldog are still in the process of updating their website but
that if you transfer an existing BT line to Bulldog it will cost 1
for the 1st month and you get 50% off for the 2nd month.(+ free modem)

You can also get a new BT line installed for 60

If anyone does sign up with Bulldog would you mind quoting my referral
code -just quote "bdol 87431" when signing up online (under "How did
you hear about Bulldog?/Referred by a Friend") or just mention it while
ordering by telephone (and please drop me an email and let me know!)

More at http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/resi...about_8meg.asp

Regards
Sunil

Old June 1st 05, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Sunil Sood wrote:
Bulldog have launched an 8MB service with their standard 1 month
contract.

Bulldog have now updated their web site and its actually not 30 inc
line rental for the 8MB unmetered service but 40.. but still a very
good deal.

Regards
Sunil

Old June 1st 05, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article .com,
Sunil Sood wrote:
Bulldog have launched an 8MB service with their standard 1 month
contract.

Bulldog have now updated their web site and its actually not 30 inc
line rental for the 8MB unmetered service but 40.. but still a very
good deal.

Unless you can get UKOnline for GBP30? :-)

Zane.
Old June 1st 05, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Peter M wrote:
I understand from the UK Online press office that they've been in touch
with Reuters for the rather misleading headline: 2005-06-01 13:36 BST
"Bulldog offers fastest retail broadband deal"

Of course we all know UK Online launched retail services at that speed a
number of months (6+) ago, and Bulldog 'matches' the speed, at best :-)

Minor point (and I could be wrong) but I think Bulldog's claim is
probably accurate as they seem to sync 8MB lines at 8064 kbits/s

UKOnline seem to sync lines at 8000 kbits/s

Also, while they both officially advertise 400K upstream, Bulldog sync
lines at 576 kbits/s (effectively giving new customers 512K upload not
400K) and UKOnline only sync at 512K (giving 400K upload)

The other difference I failed to mention in my previous email comparing
the two services is Bulldog is supposed to be "unmetered" , while
UKOnline have a stated cap of "500 GB" - though its true that very few
people are very going to hit this cap at current usage levels..

Don't let me stop the shareholder activism though

Regards
Sunil

Old June 1st 05, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 1 Jun 2005 06:26 -0700, "Sunil Sood" wrote:

However, with UKOnline you do have access to indirect telephony...
OTOH Bulldog do give you free call waiting and ACR ...

and unfortunately, it is academic, when neither (yet) serves the area !

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.
Old June 1st 05, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 1 Jun 2005 07:11 -0700, "Sunil Sood" wrote:

Minor point (and I could be wrong) but I think Bulldog's claim is
probably accurate as they seem to sync 8MB lines at 8064 kbits/s
UKOnline seem to sync lines at 8000 kbits/s

OK, let them off. However it would need one to actually know the fine
detail such as that, and while I'll agree they're that tiny bit faster,
I really do wonder why C+W happened to get coverage from Reuters whilst
there seemed to be no mention of Easynet. Perhaps one of the PR people
knows the right bars to find the journalist in :-)

Don't let me stop the shareholder activism though

Actually I would have queried it just as much if I'd felt it to be wrong
and the news had been slanted the opposite way around, if Bulldog had
launched in November and UK Online today, and Reuters gave headlines
to UK Online instead of what happened. Peter M.
Old June 1st 05, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Peter M" wrote in message
. 86...
OK, let them off. However it would need one to actually know the fine
detail such as that, and while I'll agree they're that tiny bit faster,
I really do wonder why C+W happened to get coverage from Reuters whilst
there seemed to be no mention of Easynet. Perhaps one of the PR people
knows the right bars to find the journalist in :-)

Perhaps Easynet need a better PR department - I saw another article* about
LLU operators in the UK a few days ago and it listed several LLU players but
not Easynet... - disappointing when you consider it is currently the 2nd
largest LLU operator though it may soon be overtaken unless they unbundle a
lot more exchanges soon.

*http://www.lightreading.com/document...e=lightreading

Regards
Sunil

Old June 1st 05, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fred Finisterre

Just had a look on my router and it says Downstream Connection Speed 8064
kbps, so I'm guessing they've already done me. A nice unexpected surprise.

I'm quite happy with Bulldog so far, although I've not had to call their
supposedly crappy support number. And I'd be happier still if their free
1571 service gave a date and time for messages, and I could use 18866 and
similar numbers.

Fred.