Broadband for long lines

Old June 2nd 05, 09:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Default Broadband for long lines

Back in January, details were made public of a trial in Australia to
extend the line limits for broadband by the use of "mini DSLAMs". see
http://www.net4nowt.com/isp_news/new...p?News_ID=2647 for the
press release and the company involved was http://www.extelcomms.com .
I have failed to find any results of these trials mentioned anywhere
and the companies concerned have ignored my emails. Does anyone have
any information on what happened? I live on a line almost 9Km from
the exchange and everything, including Zen Home 250 has failed. I am
getting desparate enough to want to move house! I cannot afford a
decent 2 way satellite service and am hoping that advancing technology
will eventually deliver a solution to my home.
Old June 2nd 05, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Chris wrote:
Back in January, details were made public of a trial in Australia to
extend the line limits for broadband by the use of "mini DSLAMs". see
http://www.net4nowt.com/isp_news/new...p?News_ID=2647 for the
press release and the company involved was http://www.extelcomms.com .
I have failed to find any results of these trials mentioned anywhere
and the companies concerned have ignored my emails. Does anyone have
any information on what happened? I live on a line almost 9Km from
the exchange and everything, including Zen Home 250 has failed. I am
getting desparate enough to want to move house! I cannot afford a
decent 2 way satellite service and am hoping that advancing technology
will eventually deliver a solution to my home.

Technically, "mini DSLAMS" are a simple solution. There isn't much
challenging about them.
It's all to do with economics.
BT (AIUI) wouldn't get any extra over the 6 or so quid a month
they get for maintaining the ADSL connection for connecting them.
Hence, there is a reluctance to spend money at vastly more than this
per line to make a very few people able to get a connection.

I assume you know about IDSN?
Old June 2nd 05, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 02 Jun 2005 07:32:31 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Chris wrote:
[...]

I am told by BT that my line will not even support Highway, let alone
ISDN! It is a pity that BT will not consider mini DSLAMs as where I
live there are over 30 households in a similar situation. Many would
be prepared to pay a bit over the odds for a reliable ADSL service.
Old June 2nd 05, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 14:29:31 +0100, Chris
wrote:

Many would
be prepared to pay a bit over the odds for a reliable ADSL service.

many ? can you get an ADSL line to a point where you could wireless
link over to this blackspot and build a small community WISP ?

Phil

Old June 2nd 05, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

wrote:

Many would
be prepared to pay a bit over the odds for a reliable ADSL service.

many ? can you get an ADSL line to a point where you could wireless
link over to this blackspot and build a small community WISP ?

Phil

Thanks for the thought. I have considered this but the 30 odd houses
are scattered around over quite a wide area with hills in between so
line of site would not be possible. I think I am correct in
beilieving that this is a requirement?

Old June 2nd 05, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 19:35:05 +0100, Chris
wrote:

Thanks for the thought. I have considered this but the 30 odd houses
are scattered around over quite a wide area with hills in between so
line of site would not be possible. I think I am correct in
beilieving that this is a requirement?

not exactly, for the point to point link from the nearest decent ADSL
feed (2M ideally) line of sight would be good.

After that you can use mesh technology to interconnect several access
points rather than trying to run off a single access point. This also
helps the range as each one can only cover a couple of 100 metres in
an omnidirectional pattern.

Phil