Broadband

Old June 2nd 05, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Leveled

Default Broadband

I live several miles from my exchange and think I may be on the limit for
broad band. B.T wont discuss this unless I choose them as a provider, I
fancy Plusnet but they all want the money before they find out if it works .
Does anyone have experience of lines 4 to 6 miles from the exchange Thanks

Old June 2nd 05, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Leveled wrote:
: I live several miles from my exchange and think I may be on the limit for
: broad band. B.T wont discuss this unless I choose them as a provider, I

BT's predictor at http://www.bt.com/broadband does no measurements but is
generally errs on the pessimistic side as to what Broadband data rates
will work.
Old June 2nd 05, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 14:25:50 +0100, "Leveled" wrote:

fancy Plusnet but they all want the money before they find out if it works .

that's the system - you pay, they connect you up, you try to make it
work, you ask the ISP to get BT to help you make it work - if they
fail you get your money back. If there is no activation fee the money
is notional anyway.

Phil

Old June 2nd 05, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 14:25:50 +0100, "Leveled" wrote:

fancy Plusnet but they all want the money before they find out if it

works .

that's the system - you pay, they connect you up, you try to make it
work, you ask the ISP to get BT to help you make it work - if they
fail you get your money back. If there is no activation fee the money
is notional anyway.

Yes, spot on. I signed up with Pipex because I thought they would be
helpful when it didn't work (and they were) and they didn't charge me for
activation and gave me a free modem. Basically my only outlay was one
months charge and a couple of weeks of annoyance waiting to get BT out.

Phil

Old June 2nd 05, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

In article , Leveled
writes
I live several miles from my exchange and think I may be on the limit for
broad band. B.T wont discuss this unless I choose them as a provider, I
fancy Plusnet but they all want the money before they find out if it works .
Does anyone have experience of lines 4 to 6 miles from the exchange Thanks

Yes ...

my exchange is 8.2 km (5.2 miles) from the exchange. I upgraded to 0.5Mb
ADSL about 4 months ago, and the router (Alcatel Speedtouch 510) has not
lost connection since. When I switch the router off and reboot, it
synchronises quickly.

The router line statistics show the properties as -

Properties
Output Power (dBm) up/down = 10.5 / 14.0
Attenuation (dB) up/down = 31.5 / 60.0
Noise Margin (dB) up/down = 18.0 / 12.0
Vendor Id (local/remote) = ALCB / TSTC

If these are realistic, then I might be able to upgrade to 1Mb at a
later date. However, the attenuation "down" is on the BT limit, and the
SNR might drop to the point I could loose sync.

Have you tried to check whether you can get broadband using the BT ADSL
line & exchange checker at -

http://www.broadband1.bt.com/applica....jsp&event=bea.
portal.framework.internal.refresh&pageid=bb_availa bility&nodeId=navigati
on/node/data/broadband_extra/ava_check/ava_check

You just type your telephone number (no spaces) or your postcode. The
results will say whether the exchange is enabled, and if you can get
ADSL.

When I do it for my line it reports the following -

"Your exchange has ADSL broadband.

Our initial test on your line indicates that you may be able to
have an ADSL broadband service that provides 512Kbps or 256Kbps
download speed. However, due to the length of your line, an
engineer visit may be required, who will, where possible, supply
the broadband service."

In my case no engineer visit was necessary and the move from dial up to
ADSL was smooth. However, if I eventually move to 1Mb ADSL, under the
current BT attenuation/SNR limits I will need an engineers visit.

--
John Clark
Old June 2nd 05, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Look back a few pages in google for the 11Km thread I posted.

Are you in the sticks? The fewer houses and towns between you and the
exchange the better. In our case the main leg is a 6 mile road with a
couple of farms and a pub, so few sources for interference enroute. The
SNR/noise margin as reported by the router is 25db, with an attenuation
of 60db. PlusNet wooshed it this morning and appear to think it is
marginal for 1mb -- which (if I have the option to downsize to the
perfectly fast and stable 512K service I'm currently receiving) I am
going to trial.

PlusNet seem the best to me, although you may want to buy your own
equipment. I opted for the Vigor, the Speedtouch is also recommended
for long lines.

Old June 2nd 05, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 15:48:57 +0100, John
wrote:

However, if I eventually move to 1Mb ADSL, under the
current BT attenuation/SNR limits I will need an engineers visit.

you'll only get one if it doesn't work and the ISP requests one. They
aren't pre-emptive.

Phil

Old June 2nd 05, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 2 Jun 2005 14:25, "Leveled" wrote:

I fancy Plusnet but they all want the money before they find out if it works.
Does anyone have experience of lines 4 to 6 miles from the exchange Thanks

How recently did you check the Plus.Net site ? They've been offering setup
on a 'you stay, we pay' sliding scale so if you change ISP or cease using
them, you'd then be expected to pay the full (50+VAT) activation fee, which
is what they will have paid to BT... in the second year 40+VAT, third year
30+VAT and so on, and there'd be no activation fee if ADSL really does not
work for you... I feel sure they'd ask BT again if you were pushy and it's
turned down first time (or seemingly automatically). Good luck. Peter M.

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/dghgq
I recommend them and save some cash.
Old June 2nd 05, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Jones

I live several miles from my exchange and think I may be on the limit for
broad band. B.T wont discuss this unless I choose them as a provider, I
fancy Plusnet but they all want the money before they find out if it works

..

I'm pretty sure that all ISP's will refund you the setup charge if it turns
out that your line doesn't support ADSL.