Wireless adapter for PCI 2.1 slot.

Old June 2nd 05, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chipshop

Default Wireless adapter for PCI 2.1 slot.

Greetings all...

I recently inherited an old AcerPower 8000 PII that I want to use as an
internet machine for the children.

For this purpose I bought another Netgear WG311 wireless PCI
adapter...but it appears that the AcerPower's motherboard has PCI 2.1
slots and the WG311 is PCI 2.2 only.

Can anyone kindly recommend a good wireless PCI adapter that is PCI 2.1
slot compliant please?

Regards

chipshop
Old June 2nd 05, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

"chipshop" wrote in message
Greetings all...

I recently inherited an old AcerPower 8000 PII that I want to use as an
internet machine for the children.

For this purpose I bought another Netgear WG311 wireless PCI adapter...but
it appears that the AcerPower's motherboard has PCI 2.1 slots and the
WG311 is PCI 2.2 only.

Can anyone kindly recommend a good wireless PCI adapter that is PCI 2.1
slot compliant please?

Regards

chipshop

You might find better compatability with a usb wireless device.... It can be
a pain tracking down compatible pci cards for the older revision.

Gaz

Old June 2nd 05, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

"Gaz" wrote in
:

You might find better compatability with a usb wireless device.... It
can be a pain tracking down compatible pci cards for the older
revision.

Well, there's this Belkin card:

http://snipurl.com/fbf2

--
Phil
http://www.philipchung.co.uk/
Old June 2nd 05, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chipshop

Phil wrote:
"Gaz" wrote in
:

You might find better compatability with a usb wireless device.... It
can be a pain tracking down compatible pci cards for the older
revision.

Well, there's this Belkin card:

http://snipurl.com/fbf2

Thanks Phil...

The Belkin card looks like it might just do the trick.

chipshop
Old June 2nd 05, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan Wood

"chipshop" wrote in message
Phil wrote:
"Gaz" wrote in
:
You might find better compatability with a usb wireless device.... It
can be a pain tracking down compatible pci cards for the older
revision.

Well, there's this Belkin card:

http://snipurl.com/fbf2

Thanks Phil...

The Belkin card looks like it might just do the trick.

chipshop

Be careful.. I have Belkin cards that say they are 2.1 compliant, but DO NOT
work in two of my 2.1 machines. (One fails to boot at all, the other doesn't
even notice the card.)

They do work fine in a PCI 2.2 machine though.

Old June 2nd 05, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BJH

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 18:41:34 +0100, Dan Wood wrote:

"chipshop" wrote in message
Phil wrote:
"Gaz" wrote in
:
You might find better compatability with a usb wireless device.... It
can be a pain tracking down compatible pci cards for the older
revision.

Well, there's this Belkin card:

http://snipurl.com/fbf2

Thanks Phil...

The Belkin card looks like it might just do the trick.

chipshop

Be careful.. I have Belkin cards that say they are 2.1 compliant, but DO NOT
work in two of my 2.1 machines. (One fails to boot at all, the other doesn't
even notice the card.)

They do work fine in a PCI 2.2 machine though.

Same here, I spent hours trying to sort this conundrum. Go for USB.

--
Best regards
Barry
Old June 3rd 05, 05:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

"BJH" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 18:41:34 +0100, Dan Wood wrote:

"chipshop" wrote in message
Phil wrote:
"Gaz" wrote in
:
You might find better compatability with a usb wireless device.... It
can be a pain tracking down compatible pci cards for the older
revision.

Well, there's this Belkin card:

http://snipurl.com/fbf2

Thanks Phil...

The Belkin card looks like it might just do the trick.

chipshop

Be careful.. I have Belkin cards that say they are 2.1 compliant, but DO
NOT
work in two of my 2.1 machines. (One fails to boot at all, the other
doesn't
even notice the card.)

They do work fine in a PCI 2.2 machine though.

Same here, I spent hours trying to sort this conundrum. Go for USB.

--
Best regards
Barry

My local The Computer Shop have been selling off the last stocks of their
MSI wireless USB 11b adaptors for just 9.99 recently.
It's model number is UB11B.

Got two myself for a pc to laptop network and they work perfectly - easy to
set up too.

Martin.

Old June 3rd 05, 07:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chipshop

Martin wrote:
"BJH" wrote in message
.. .

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 18:41:34 +0100, Dan Wood wrote:

"chipshop" wrote in message

Phil wrote:

"Gaz" wrote in
:

[...]

Thank you all for the replys.

Does anyone know if Netgear's WG111 USB 2.0 wireless adapter wil work
with USB 1.1?

Ta muchness
chipshop
Old June 3rd 05, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

Thank you all for the replys.

Does anyone know if Netgear's WG111 USB 2.0 wireless adapter wil work
with USB 1.1?

Ta muchness
chipshop

Umm. Lots of old hardware and software! Have you considered a straight
Ethernet card and an access unit? This is an expensive route but would
work, providing you can find a PCI 2.1 compliant network card - which should
not be too difficult since you can even get ISA Ethernet adapters.

Alternatively, Cat5 cable is very cheap if you can find a suitable route to
your router.

Paul DS.

Old June 3rd 05, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

chipshop wrote in
:

Thank you all for the replys.

Does anyone know if Netgear's WG111 USB 2.0 wireless adapter wil work
with USB 1.1?

Ta muchness
chipshop

Alternatively, if the PC has an ethernet port you could use a wireless
bridge instead of a USB wireless adapter.

--
Phil
http://www.philipchung.co.uk/