Laptop with WiFi

Old June 2nd 05, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com

Default Laptop with WiFi

Hi
Questions
What sort/make of modem should i get to connect my laptop to broadband
via WiFi?
And
What would i need to plug into the phone socket?

I don't need or have a network, it's only for in the house
Would i be able to get a decent reception anywhere or is there liable
to be a range/limitation ?

Martin

Old June 2nd 05, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:08:25 +0100, Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com
wrote:

What sort/make of modem should i get to connect my laptop to broadband
via WiFi?
And
What would i need to plug into the phone socket?

what type of broadband ADSL or cable ? for ADSL get a combined ADSL
modem/router with 802.11g (or if the laptop only does 802.11b then you
can save a few quid with a slower version).

several of them at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/reviews/

for cable a "broadband router" will connect to your STB or cable
modem. But such a thing is no use for ADSL.

I don't need or have a network, it's only for in the house
Would i be able to get a decent reception anywhere or is there liable
to be a range/limitation ?

range is limited to 10s or at most a few 100 metres in free air, walls
and the like reduce range. Usually cover a 4 bedroom house and modest
garden.

Phil

Old June 2nd 05, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com wrote:

What sort/make of modem should i get to connect my laptop to broadband
via WiFi?

that would be a wireless adsl router

e.g.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_adslrouter_dg834g.php
http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=jN7uAYLx/...vh1KDiJkYZuQ==

there are others, sorry about the long url

And What would i need to plug into the phone socket?

something like the above, and a microfilter for every other
phone/modem/fax/answermachine/skybox connected to the phone line.

I don't need or have a network, it's only for in the house
Would i be able to get a decent reception anywhere or is there liable
to be a range/limitation ?

Generally speaking you'll be OK anywhere within a house, unless you have
servants quarters :-)
Old June 2nd 05, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Andy Burns wrote:

Generally speaking you'll be OK anywhere within a house, unless you have
servants quarters :-)

We had a cellar once .......

--
The Caretaker .........
Old June 2nd 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

See
http://www.linksyssales.co.uk/linksy...namicIndex.asp

Old June 3rd 05, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com

Thanks for the info folks
Hopefully it will help me make a decision

Martin