E-buyer modem router

Old June 2nd 05, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NBT

Default E-buyer modem router

Tommy wrote:
On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 17:32:30 +0100, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband, Tommy wrote:

4 port sp1 firewall adsl modem router
E-Buyer quick link 48449

It is the same as this one:

http://safecom.cn/code/sub/category.asp?subcatid=1&prdid=4

It has an SPI firewall, what makes you think it doesn't?

I should explained this is the first modem router i have had and am
a very much a newbie with them
there is no mention of a firewall or how to enable it in the manual
i have searched the website with no luck
I know if it has one it is not operative as i used grc.com leak test
and its wide open

Tommy

The SPI firewall is to help protect your system from "inbound" unwanted
connections.In order to run that "****" test from GRC you have to
download a program which then probes to see if it can get "outbound"
,the SPI firewall you have will probably not prevent this.
If you wish to check the "inbound" try:-
http://www.dslreports.com/scan
There are also some tests he-
http://www.pcflank.com/
Old June 2nd 05, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 17:21:45 +0000 (UTC), NBT
wrote:

The SPI firewall is to help protect your system from "inbound" unwanted
connections.In order to run that "****" test from GRC you have to
download a program which then probes to see if it can get "outbound"

Er, not correct. There's several tests, one tests outgoing nasties,
the others test incoming, exactly like the PcFlank ones try to.

Note that GRC manage to identify ones IP correctly whereas PCFlank's
test suite is broken in that respect. Why /do/ programmers use the
browser headers / http protocol, given that most ISPS proxy http? I
can only assume they never tested it in the real world.

http://www.dslreports.com/scan

This one works.

There are also some tests he-
http://www.pcflank.com/

This one's broken.

Old June 2nd 05, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NBT

Mark McIntyre wrote:

Er, not correct. There's several tests, one tests outgoing nasties,
the others test incoming, exactly like the PcFlank ones try to.

When I ran it it only attempted outbound and was stopped by my firewall
as well as being classified as a Trojan by other s/ware, there were no
noticeable inbound probes.

Note that GRC manage to identify ones IP correctly whereas PCFlank's
test suite is broken in that respect. Why /do/ programmers use the
browser headers / http protocol, given that most ISPS proxy http? I
can only assume they never tested it in the real world.

http://www.dslreports.com/scan

This one works.

There are also some tests he-
http://www.pcflank.com/

This one's broken.

I can get to the web-site without any problems and the Tests are in the
"Test your System Column".
Old June 2nd 05, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 19:39:07 +0000 (UTC), NBT
wrote:

Mark McIntyre wrote:

Er, not correct. There's several tests, one tests outgoing nasties,
the others test incoming, exactly like the PcFlank ones try to.

When I ran it it only attempted outbound

There are lots of tests on the site. You ran the outbound checker one,
that does require a download.

There are also some tests he-
http://www.pcflank.com/

This one's broken.

I can get to the web-site without any problems

The sites fine, its the tests that are broken.

and the Tests are in the "Test your System Column".

If you're with any ISP who proxies http, it won't work. It also may
not work if you have a router. This is because it uses the http
protocol to try to detect your IP, and what it gets back is the proxy
address.

Old June 3rd 05, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NBT

wrote:

Mark McIntyre wrote:

Er, not correct. There's several tests, one tests outgoing nasties,
the others test incoming, exactly like the PcFlank ones try to.

When I ran it it only attempted outbound

There are lots of tests on the site. You ran the outbound checker one,
that does require a download.

The OP specified the "Leak Test" so that was the one that was tried.
The OP also said he was a newbie and is therefore quite possible not
using a proxy, in that case the majority of tests on the PCFlank site
will work.My router only has problems with the DOS tests in the
"Exploits Test".