Broadband via Wired Router

Old June 3rd 05, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Pape

Default Broadband via Wired Router

Hi guys! We are in the process of setting up a wireless BB network in our
house through 7 computers. What is the name of the cable that will connect
the one 'wired' system we have to the wireless router, and where is the best
place to get this from? Also, is it true that this system needs to be
permanently switched on for the BB to function, or and I getting a pile of
bul***it from a friend of mine?

Any help would be much appreciated

Chris

Beware the obious SPAMTRAP in the reply-to line!

Old June 3rd 05, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"Chris Pape" wrote in message
Hi guys! We are in the process of setting up a wireless BB network in our
house through 7 computers. What is the name of the cable that will connect
the one 'wired' system we have to the wireless router, and where is the
best place to get this from? Also, is it true that this system needs to be
permanently switched on for the BB to function, or and I getting a pile of
bul***it from a friend of mine?

Any help would be much appreciated

Chris

Beware the obious SPAMTRAP in the reply-to line!

The cable is UTP CAT5 and can be purchased at any good PC suppliers (even
B&Q sell it). You can make your own or buy ready-made. You don't have to
keep the router powered up, but if you switch it off, none of the PCs (wired
or wireless) will be able to get internet access. It is usually a good idea
just to leave it switched on.

Old June 3rd 05, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:30:51 +0100, "Chris Pape"
wrote:

Hi guys! We are in the process of setting up a wireless BB network in our
house through 7 computers. What is the name of the cable that will connect
the one 'wired' system we have to the wireless router, and where is the best
place to get this from? Also, is it true that this system needs to be
permanently switched on for the BB to function, or and I getting a pile of
bul***it from a friend of mine?

If you have a wireless router with a built in ADSL modem then only the
router needs to be switched on all the time. Any of the PCs can be on
or off, it doesnt matter.

-----------------------------
Web Design for Wise Owls - www.WiseWebs.co.uk

Old June 3rd 05, 04:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:28:48 GMT, "runlikethewind"
wrote:

www.scan.co.uk

Yes, scan are good E-tailers. Any particular reason for posting their
URL?

.. .

Old June 3rd 05, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 03 Jun 2005 16:36, Harry wrote:

On 03 Jun 2005 15:28 GMT, "runlikethewind" wrote:

www.scan.co.uk

... Any particular reason for posting their URL?

Well, the OP did ask about where to get a patch cable... Of
course, one might come with the router, with a bit of luck. PGM.
--
UK ADSL from Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - I recommend them, saving some cash!
E-mail handling - 30 day free trial from runbox.com - http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Old June 3rd 05, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Pape

"Chris Pape" wrote in message
Hi guys! We are in the process of setting up a wireless BB network in our
house through 7 computers. What is the name of the cable that will connect
the one 'wired' system we have to the wireless router, and where is the
best place to get this from? Also, is it true that this system needs to be
permanently switched on for the BB to function, or and I getting a pile of
bul***it from a friend of mine?

Any help would be much appreciated

Chris

Beware the obious SPAMTRAP in the reply-to line!

Argh! Just found out that it's all changed again! Saw today that the house
has got a wired connection in each of the 7 rooms, so we don't need to go
wireless at all! So, what hardware will I need between the phone line and
the 7 network cables? Some sort of hub I presume? Anything else?

TIA

Chris

Old June 3rd 05, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Chris Pape" wrote in message

Argh! Just found out that it's all changed again! Saw today that the house
has got a wired connection in each of the 7 rooms, so we don't need to go
wireless at all! So, what hardware will I need between the phone line and
the 7 network cables? Some sort of hub I presume? Anything else?

You'll need a router such as a Netgear DG834G or Linksys WAG54G and a 4-port
switch to expand the number of network ports from the 4 that those routers
have. Alternatively you need an 8-port router, but at a quick scan of
www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk, I can't see any of those.

Most routers sold these days have a 54 Mbps wireless access point built-in,
so you get the ability to drive any wireless laptops that don't want to be
tethered to LAN cables.