Will ADSL signal be affected by length of an extension from the BT master socket?

Old June 4th 05, 07:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

Default Will ADSL signal be affected by length of an extension from the BT master socket?

The master socket is approximately 100 metres away from the proposed
extension box which will be used to service a 5 PC network. The Router
is also linked to a Networked Printer (cabled) and currently 3 cabled
PCs and 2 Wireless.

Will this distance cause problems?

Looking at available extension boxes I can only see screw types for
the wiring (Maplins and B&Q). Should I get one of these or are there
convenient retailers selling the "push-in" type of connectors.

100 metres of 6-wire cable is 16.99 at Maplins.4-wire is 11.99 (I
think). Any better deals?

KM
Old June 4th 05, 08:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 07:12:10 +0100, km wrote:

Will this distance cause problems?

not of itself, as its not significant in the total cable run.

It is however a very long extension by any domestic standards, I would
consider using a filtered faceplate on the master socket and then run
a twisted pair extension from that for the ADSL. CW1308 phone cable or
Cat5 data cable. Only connect the A/B wires from the filtered
faceplate. This will minimise interference pickup.

Terminate it with an RJ45 socket or RJ11 and you can plug the router
straight in.

If you want a phone at the end of the extension you could use a
filtered extension socket like the Pro LJ4 shown at
http://www.clarity.it/acatalog/adsl_linejacks.html
or similar stuff at ADSLnation.com

Phil

Old June 4th 05, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 10:47:29 +0100, "SteveB" [email protected]
wrote:

20m is reckoned to be the max with untwisted wire.

"km" wrote in message
.. .
The master socket is approximately 100 metres away from the proposed
extension box which will be used to service a 5 PC network. The Router
is also linked to a Networked Printer (cabled) and currently 3 cabled
PCs and 2 Wireless.

Will this distance cause problems?

Looking at available extension boxes I can only see screw types for
the wiring (Maplins and B&Q). Should I get one of these or are there
convenient retailers selling the "push-in" type of connectors.

100 metres of 6-wire cable is 16.99 at Maplins.4-wire is 11.99 (I
think). Any better deals?

KM

Thanks to Phil and Steve.

Steve - will CW1308 wire as mentioned by Phil remove the limitation
you mention?

KM
Old June 4th 05, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 10:56:15 +0100, km wrote:

will CW1308 wire as mentioned by Phil remove the limitation
you mention?

CW1308 is twisted, Steve's limit as untwisted so yes. Maplin sell 4
core CW1308 in white I think and 6 core in black.

Phil

Old June 4th 05, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 11:07:36 +0100, Phil Thompson
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 10:56:15 +0100, km wrote:

will CW1308 wire as mentioned by Phil remove the limitation
you mention?

CW1308 is twisted, Steve's limit as untwisted so yes. Maplin sell 4
core CW1308 in white I think and 6 core in black.

Phil

Your replies much appreciated

KM